Any ideas for feeding large colonies nutritious non/slow perishing foods

I make ice cubes out of blending fruits and veggies (and pollen/spirulina). Then empty the icecubes in a ziploc bag and Im good for a long time (only 3-4 colonies though). The ice cubes stay pretty solid and dont mold if eaten in a few days. I throw one or two ice cubes in once or twice a week, plus the carrots.

I know fall and winter squashes like pumpkin, spaghetti squash, acorn and butterbut squash - will keep for a really long time on your counter. Those that Ive fed whole seem to not rot or mold too quickly - they might be a good addition to your mix or rotation?

Since you are bio - you can also grow some food in the more humid setups, if it gets some light. The rye and wheat seeds I sent germinate super fast and in relatively low light. My grasshoppers have been mowing it down. The downside is gives the roaches a boost up closer to the lid :p
The ice cube method has been my go to with gutloading. I thought of somehow doing it for feeding the colonies, but the amount they eat is so crazy. I'd be making so many giant frozen bags! Although, as a supplement to the carrots and dry food, it might be a really good idea.

Squash (acorn, butternut, etc), pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnip, beets, turnip
Hmmm good ideas. I could just cut up a squash and throw it in. Beets too. Just need to find a store that has them for a good a price. The carrots are nice because they come in a giant bag for $3.

View attachment 277924

Disregard the water crystals, they were temp till the veg came in. Now keep in mind 1/4 of it was kelp, bee pollen, brewers yeast. But the majority of it was this stuff.

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/feeding-alfalfa-pellets/
Just curious, why the kelp and brewers yeast? Affordable? Nutrients? Just had them?

I forgot who it was, but it was posted a week or so ago to plant your bok choy and it will continue to sprout new leaves.
Was thinking of doing something like this with watercress too. Wouldn't be a bad idea to grow a few greens/herbs in my window and make a little blend out of them like @snitz427 mentioned.

Does bok choy fall under the broccoli / brussel sprouts family that is not recommended for gutloading? Well, to recommended in high quantities I should say.

It's the cruciferous vegetables for their goitrogen content(not sure, is bok choy a cruciferous?). I don't know how realistic of a worry it is when fed in reasonable amounts? Cruciferous veggies are super nutritious otherwise. Maybe foods higher in iodine could counter it.

I always found that interesting how Rabbits can synthesize Vitamin C, but the most advanced specie on this planet can’t..... ??‍♂️

Lol I'm pretty sure cockroaches can create all of the essential amino acids from the uric acid that they store from protein.... or something like that, I'd have to look into it again. In any case, many creatures have some pretty insane survival mechanisms. Mainly just our brains that are impressive, relatively speaking.

From what I’ve read bok choy can be used occasionally.
It contains goitrogens, so does Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collard greens, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard greens, Turnips, and turnip greens Goitrogens apparently effect the production of thyroid hormones.

Your thyroid gland plays a key role in metabolism so too much food with goitrogens could lead to metabolic dysfunction and problems with gut absorption, glucose cycles, and cardiovascular function and health, among other things

I don’t think these things need to be avoided entirely, but if used as a staple could cause issues in the animals health.

people with hypothyroidism are sometimes counseled to avoid foods high in goitrogens

From what I’ve read bok choy can be used occasionally.
It contains goitrogens, so does Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collard greens, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard greens, Turnips, and turnip greens Goitrogens apparently effect the production of thyroid hormones.

Your thyroid gland plays a key role in metabolism so too much food with goitrogens could lead to metabolic dysfunction and problems with gut absorption, glucose cycles, and cardiovascular function and health, among other things

I don’t think these things need to be avoided entirely, but if used as a staple could cause issues in the animals health.

people with hypothyroidism are sometimes counseled to avoid foods high in goitrogens

Thank you for posting this. I drink daily smoothies to get my vitamins/minerals/phytonutrients and I rotate the greens I use. Pretty sure goitrogenic greens are usually lower in oxalates. So I will do one day use collard greens/kale/watercress/etc. Next day dandelion greens/spinach/etc. I try to do the same kind of thing with my gutloading.

Thank you for posting this. I drink daily smoothies to get my vitamins/minerals/phytonutrients and I rotate the greens I use. Pretty sure goitrogenic greens are usually lower in oxalates. So I will do one day use collard greens/kale/watercress/etc. Next day dandelion greens/spinach/etc. I try to do the same kind of thing with my gutloading.
You are way better gutloaded than I am. ?

¼ inch pellets

Those would work great. Just watchout when checking sizes. I found 1" before and 1" cubes, they are impossible to do things with. I guess the bigger stuff is meant to get wet and "season" before the farm animal finds it...

Nice thanks for your input. Maybe I'll give these a try then. Alfalfa seems fairly nutritious as well. Could always mix it with some bee pollen and spirulina... then use some root veggies on the side with occasional gutload cube or veggie scraps...

I think that'll be my plan, as long as they eat this stuff!

Back
Top Bottom