When to start limiting food?

CalamityCrow

Avid Member
Hello all! I've been struggling on the search function to find an answer here so apologies if this has already been answered a zillion times...

My cham is right around 8mos old, purchased from Kammerflage Kreations. He's a male panther, but I feel like he's maybe still a bit small for his age. He's roughly 5" from nose to cloaca. I believe I've read that around 8-12mos is when you start to limit food. Feeding him every day, he usually cleans out his feeder cup (I'll fed him ~20 1/4" dubias, or somewhere like 10 1/4" dubias and 10 BSFL - my dubia colony is in a weird spot where I have lots of babies and adults but not much in between... I'm slowly getting to a point where I can have fewer, bigger bugs for him) and rarely are there more than 1-2 feeders left at the end of the day. I gutload them with greens, usually dandelion/collard greens and carrots and sweet potatoes, supplemented with repashy bug burger, and he gets his food dusted with calcium without D3 every day, save for once every two weeks he gets reptivite with D3.

He seems to be a fine weight, his casque isn't puffy or anything, though I'm not sure if I should withhold food (like every other day) just yet or not. He also seems to be on the slow end for colors coming in as well... The pictures of younger chams on their website are SO much brighter/more colorful. :/

I've already followed the husbandry advice on here, and am waiting for Dragon Strand to get their big hybrid cages (with the drainage trays) back in stock so I can get a properly sized cage, as I have a 18" x 18" x 36" right now. I have an arcadia T5 6% bulb, a plant light for the pothos and plants I have in the cage, a 60 watt incandescent bulb, with basking temps right around 80-83F. He's got a mistking system on timers through the night, with lights on from 8am-8pm. Humidity during the day hovers around 54% and temps drop to about 65 at night at the bottom of the cage. He's got like 95% live plants now, as my pothos is finally going ham. I'll be removing the last couple plastic plants when I upgrade his cage. His poops always look solid and good with 99% white urates.
I attached a picture of him for reference. Lol he HATES the camera so he's a bit puffed up there. Mistking nozzle for size reference.

Any advice on feeding regimens?

Attachments

• 20220620_124206.jpg
    20220620_124206.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 82
Since are are technically already limiting him(since he is cleaning his plate most days), i would switch him to "as many as wanted in 1 feeding" every other day.

You never know when the growth spurt will start. So one day a dozen feeders is fine, and the next day might require 2-3 dozen, but you still only fed the poor little guy a dozen.

Once he is an adult food will go down by sometimes and order of magnitude vs the last growth spurt. You might go from a dozen a day to a dozen a week. once he is an adult odds are its going to be 2 big feedings and snack or two.

I generally use the tail as a "fatometer". If its a sausage meat tube, hes too fat. If you have a few lines going down the length, he is perfect. If you start seeing individual vertebrae hes underweight.

Thanks all! I'll continue to feed him as much as he's willing to eat, and make sure to put enough in there that he'll have some left over every day. :)

My guy just stopped eating as much one day, I would judge it by how frequently he sheds and if you have seen any sperm plugs this means if he's shedding less often he isnt growing as fast therefore doesn't need a ton of food, he may gradually change his appetite, just make sure he's doing good and make sure if you do decrease feeding he's still acting the same, (DISCLAIMER i would always listen to beman and kinyonga and miss Skittles they got me to where I am today) ty so much guys!

My guy just stopped eating as much one day, I would judge it by how frequently he sheds and if you have seen any sperm plugs this means if he's shedding less often he isnt growing as fast therefore doesn't need a ton of food, he may gradually change his appetite, just make sure he's doing good and make sure if you do decrease feeding he's still acting the same, (DISCLAIMER i would always listen to beman and kinyonga and miss Skittles they got me to where I am today) ty so much guys!
Glad we could help @Thatcher !

Yeah, I follow this particular forum closely and have learned invaluable information here from those three. They're godsends for chams and their well-being.

As of right now, my guy is shedding pretty steadily every 4ish weeks (I think he's about due for another one) so I'll keep feeding if he's going to keep growing. I'd hate to stunt him by taking food away too early.

I put a crap ton of 1/4" roaches in his cup today, and by "Crap ton" I mean about 30... There are only two left in the cup lol. I have bigger feeders coming in the mail, so hopefully he has no issue eating his fill, and my dubia colony can gain a bit more time to actually grow up!

Yeah, I follow this particular forum closely and have learned invaluable information here from those three. They're godsends for chams and their well-being.

As of right now, my guy is shedding pretty steadily every 4ish weeks (I think he's about due for another one) so I'll keep feeding if he's going to keep growing. I'd hate to stunt him by taking food away too early.

I put a crap ton of 1/4" roaches in his cup today, and by "Crap ton" I mean about 30... There are only two left in the cup lol. I have bigger feeders coming in the mail, so hopefully he has no issue eating his fill, and my dubia colony can gain a bit more time to actually grow up!
Yes they are godsends!

I had a roach colony... Don't tell my mom!

That sounds like a good idea, exactly what I would do. (But I always ask everyone for their opinion before I do stuff beacause I'm paranoid to mess anything up lol)

@CalamityCrow said..."Yeah, I follow this particular forum closely and have learned invaluable information here from those three. They're godsends for chams and their well-being"...

@Thatcher said..."Yes they are godsends!"...

Thanks to both of you for your votes of confidence! There are lots of people on here to learn from!

Back
Top Bottom