Any advice?

kristytia

hi i have a veiled male chameleon "spike" (my daughter named him) yesterday he didnt eat anything but did drink and today he has only eaten 3 mealworms has been drinking today, he is very active still. He is 3 months old even though i think he is older seems to big for 3 months anyway can you think of a reason why he is off his food im new to the chameleon world. i have had him for 2 months now. took photo today not very good with the camera though sorry.

Attachments

• small.jpg.jpg
    small.jpg.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 143
  • small2.jpg.jpg
    small2.jpg.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 154
As they approach adult size they slow down somewhat in the amount that they eat. Do you feed him daily?

What is the temperature in the basking area? Has it become cooler lately?

Do you have a substrate? Is he pooping?

i recently helped a friend with a cham that quit eating. we are reasonably certain that the reason for this was that the temps got too low.

hi yes he is still pooping and i feed him daily i have got reptile bark at the bottom but im not to keen on that any ideas on something better? it has got cold here in england and the temp in basking is in the 80's. does feel warm in his enclosure. think i answered everything thanks for any advice and help.

First, you are right, he is well over 3 months old. To my un-trained eye I would guess 5-7 months old... possibly older with that coloring coming through and the size of his veil.

How much ventalation do you have in that cage? It lookes like the type with all solid walls and only vent holes. Those types are not recommended. It is typically recommended to have as many sides as possible be mesh so that there is enough air flow.

A veiled that size should have a basking spot around 90-92 degrees, and then let it get cooler in another part of the cage.

EDIT: Look at this page for more help on what info we need: How to ask for help.

Last edited:
I would take the substrate out, no reason to risk possible impaction. I don't imagine that is currently a problem since he is pooping.
They go through little fasting spells fairly regularly, I wouldn't be too concerned.
At his age I would still continue to offer food daily, which may very well mean He will choose to skip a day or two of eating once in awhile.
As long as nothing is wrong (eyes shut in the day, lathargic behavior, etc) and he is drinking, I think it's fine and probably pretty normal.

-Brad

i have been reading about his enclosure and we have realise that there is not much vent we have taken the top off and put mesh on the top do you think this will help or would it be better to buy something else. i contacted the guy i brought him from and he swears that he was born 15th july.

Ventilation is very important.
I personally prefer an all screen enclosure.
Incidentally, what food are you offering him besides mealworms?

-Brad

i change it alot he has mealworms crickets, locus and silk worms but only now and again, i change it around so he doesnt get bored of the same food.

That's great!
Be careful feeding too many mealworms. Using them as a staple can sometimes lead to problems with impaction and even anal prolapse.
They're totally fine as long as they are offered sparingly. I much prefer Zophoba worms (superworms).

-Brad

that is wayyy over 3 months old.
I have a 3 months old cham.
he hasn't even have the yellow color yet.

You may be right dodolah.
However, they are all different and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a 3 month old being quite a bit further along than expected.
It all depends on diet, environment, genetics.....
I have seen both ends of this (5 month olds that look like 5 week olds etc)
I no longer try to guess ages of chameleons.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom