Anole, Jackson's, Panther or Veiled .. for Newbie

SonRunner

Anole, Jackson's, or Panther ... for Newbie

I'm new to this whole lizard owning, and am thinking of getting one to keep for my nephew.

Are Anoles easier to keep than the Jackson's, or Panther? There are many Anoles running around (for free). However, it seems like Anoles are fast and run away.

Do Jackson's, or Panthers pose any physical harm towards kids (3 or older)? They look mean. Do they bite? Does their bite cause harm? It seems like Anoles do bite, but they don't really cause harm.

Which are the easiest to keep, Jackson's, or Panthers (not even yet sure if these are permitted; Veiled are not permitted)? I heard that Jackson's are the hardest to keep.

Last edited:
Even though anoles are considered a breed of chameleon, they are totally different. Chameleons like jacksons and panthers are very complicated to keep healthy and wlell and they cost quite a bit of money to start out. I would not advise getting a young child a chameleon, they take time and money to keep well. Anoles would be a better choice for a younger child... but on the same note, you can't hold anoles and they are very fast and like to hide in leaves.

How old is the child? I would not get a chameleon for anyone younger than 13, and that would have to be one heck of a responsible 13 year old with very dedicated parents. Also, chameleons do not want to be held, petted, or looked at, and yes, they can cause damage via bites that would require stitches. Chameleons are a very complicated animal to take care of and extremely time consuming. As a parent of 3, I would never have purchased a reptile for a child. I see too many adults that cannot get it right. :)

Oops sorry i didn't mean breed. I meant some internet sites and such consider them similiear to chameleons cuz they change color. :) sorry my mistake

Anoles are known as a false chameleon, because they change colors. They are not a species of chamelon. Anoles are easy to keep alive, but are not always friendly and can run fast. Panthered and Jacksons chameleon require a lot of care and money.

I am new to reptiles and I do not find keeping 3 different species of chameleons (all 3 that you mentioned) overly difficult. I would call it "time consuming" before I call it hard. Yes they have specific needs but it is not difficult.

Chameleons do bite, but that shouldn't be an issue since handling is supposed to be kept to a minimum. And yes, it does hurt (relatively).

I would suggest not getting a chameleon for a young child unless you or someone else is actually responsible for keeping it. Young children just won't keep up the routine that is needed for a chameleon to thrive.

Where do you live that panthers are permitted but not veileds?

A good starter lizard for a child would be a leopard gecko. They don't bite as a rule once they are used to you and are generally less difficult to keep healthy too.

I'm new to this whole lizard owning, and am thinking of getting one to keep for my nephew.

The way it was worded, "getting one to keep for my nephew" sounds like he is getting one to take care of himself, and that his 3 yr old nephew will just have the enjoyment of seeing and being around the chameleon. I don't think anyone would trust any animal to a 3 yr old. The same way you might get a young child a puppy, but you are still the one feeding and walking it.
As for the question, I don't know anything about anoles, but I have a Veiled (similar in care to a Panther I've heard) and it is pretty easy... it's the time and money that get you. Start up costs can be hefty, but maintenance isn't that bad. Then again, I don't pay the power bill ;). If you get timers for lights and automated mister or rain system, this really helps with time. Most of your time spent on a chameleon will be reading these forums :rolleyes:

You may be able to get an anole to be handleable. They are much faster though. Panthers, jacksons, and Veileds can cause serious harm if they choose to. Most do not cause more than a scratch and some minor pain, but they can cause major damage (may require stitches.) While you should expect all chameleons to be aggressive, there are exceptions to the rule. Panthers and jacksons tend to be less aggressive (but that does not mean they will not bite if they have to.) if you want a more docile chameleon, your best bet would be to buy a captive bred adult chameleon that already has an established docile personality.

Bearded dragons are a good choice for a reptile for kids too. They don't mind being held, they usually don't bite, and they're less likely to lose a tail if your nephew accidentally tries to hold on by just the tail. They do need a lot of room though and their care is a little more advanced then some geckos or anoles, but WAY less than a chameleon. With any pet you'll need to do lots of research before getting one anyway so it's something to look into. :)

First off...

Welcome to the forums! I'm always glad to see folks asking these sorts of questions before making any impulse decisions, so kudos! :) Doing the research up front can save you a lot of money and frustration, not to mention saving you the heartache of learning "the hard way".

Now, to answer your question, well, you're comparing two very different animals! :) The first thing you should consider is, are you ready to care for an animal that will not provide the affection of other "pets"? Most reptiles are very much "display" animals which should not be handled very often unless necessary of course.

As mentioned above, Anole's are not true chameleons and are much more forgiving than the later. They do require a UVB light bulb to aid in calcium absorption, and a basking light to warm themselves and give them the energy they need to digest and, well, thrive.

Chameleons require the same, however, they are much less forgiving, grow larger and can have very complicated medical issues that can cost more than some are willing to spend on the animal. They require attention to enclosure setup, proper misting and drainage to ensure things don't stay too wet and get mold or harbor bacteria.

While the species you listed may not be very "difficult" for many chameleon enthusiasts to care for, it may be more than a first timer can handle without knowing the extent of what is involved in caring for them. May I also suggest a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon? They tend to be more forgiving to frequent handling and rarely pose a danger in the presence of small children.

Needless to say, which ever route you choose, please consider the hygiene of everyone (including the animal) involved. Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer near the enclosure and use it before and after every handling. Also, an animal should never be left unsupervised with a child. :)

With all of that said, I think it's a fantastic idea for you to develop a new relationship with an exotic animal in such a way that allows you to observe and admire something you would never have a chance to do normally. It can inspire (as it did me) many children to appreciate nature in ways they would only see on TV. But this is all contingent on choosing the proper species and knowledge. :)

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask us any more questions prior to making your decision. We're here to help you along your journey. ;)

Cheers!

Luis

Last edited:
Since you are new to lizards- get a bearded dragon.

Your nephew can pet and hold (if he is 3 - with supervision) and touch.

Get a large one and they are almost bulletproof and are very tame.

Chameleons are difficult to care for- not an easy lizard to start with, but doable if you are serious about carefully setting things up and following husbandry. They hate to be touched, usually freak out when handled.

Anoles are super fast and stick to everything and are small- a good one to loose if you ever want to take it out.

my first lizard was about 3 anoles, great beginner pets. If you want to get a pet he can hold then try and find a non aggressive iguana, they arn't very fast and usually chill.

my first lizard was about 3 anoles, great beginner pets. If you want to get a pet he can hold then try and find a non aggressive iguana, they arn't very fast and usually chill.

An iguana? Something that will grow to 6 feet and can be completely aggressive and impulsive, not to mention the size caging and expense to feed. Not a good suggestion!

Don't get an iguana as a first lizard unless you are very serious about a very serious commitment in time, education and money. Igs are great- my favorite because they are so smart, but they need a lot of human contact time for socialization and need a lot of space and require very careful husbandry- especially temperatures and nutrition, or they end up stunted and wild and dangerous.

Google bearded dragon- you won't have regrets if you get a tame larger individual.

Oh, don't get an iguana! They become very aggressive when they're mature and at 4-6 feet long they are well equipped to be quite dangerous, especially to a child. I love my ig, but she's a terror. Even a friendly one would be too much for a child because they are heavy and have very long, sharp nails that really dig in while they're trying to sit on you. They use their tails as whips and have razor sharp teeth too btw. Not for kids or beginners imo because they aren't very fun at all when they're big. :)

I think you and your nephew would be very happy with a bearded dragon!

Are Anoles easier to keep than the Jackson's, or Panther? There are many Anoles running around (for free). However, it seems like Anoles are fast and run away.

Do Jackson's, or Panthers pose any physical harm towards kids (3 or older)? They look mean. Do they bite? Does their bite cause harm? It seems like Anoles do bite, but they don't really cause harm.

Which are the easiest to keep, Jackson's, or Panthers (not even yet sure if these are permitted; Veiled are not permitted)? I heard that Jackson's are the hardest to keep.

Lots of good advice here, and a couple of comments to add:

First, what does your nephew show interest in? Does he want to watch or handle? Gentle or rough? Scared?

If you really want the lizard for yourself (and using the nephew to justify it...something we all understand and most of us have done! :)) a chameleon may not be a bad choice as long as YOU are the one to take on its care and maintenance. Like any new pet there's a steep learning curve. This forum has lots of advice and husbandry info you can read before deciding. Just remember none of these species are going to welcome much interaction with you.

Now, if you really do want the lizard for the nephew, don't go with either the anole or the chameleon. I remember what I loved about my pets at such a young age, and frankly, something that I could neither hold or play with was pretty boring pretty fast. None of these species will tolerate being held or played with. They will either escape, bite, poop on you, or simply become ill with stress and die.

If you would like to introduce him to the wonders of a lizard through gentle handling...and that's a great thing to provide...I agree with the suggestions of a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. The geckos can be very docile, beautiful, and easy to handle as long as you take care not to handle by the tail. Beardies are just great pets for many reasons. Sturdier, day active, social, comical, entertaining to watch as they are pretty active. They need more cage space than a gecko but will also reward you for it.

If he's really a watcher you have more options...even something aquatic like firebelly toads or newts in a nice aquarium setup. But even then, a chameleon won't want to be watched and may just freeze or hide most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom