Alternatives - Anything and Everything

LilBlue

I am starting this thread to give ideas for alternatives, tricks and tips, that will/may save money!

I encourage anyone to add on ideas that will help out our fellow cham peeps! Things like organic potting soil, misters, foggers, drippers, etc. Things like caging alternatives eg wood/mesh terrarium instead of a flexarium from the store, wouldn't belong here, please post those ideas in the caging sticky:)

I am also big on recycling and earth friendly products. If you have ideas that incorporate re-using items, or effective cleaners please share those here.

Here is the link to the pump I use for my misting system:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261598685097...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=261598685097&_rdc=1

If you can't find it(it may take you to my eBay, which you wouldn't be able to view) type in this number on the eBay search bar: 261598685097

Below is a link to a power supply, with options. My boyfriend had picked up the transformer from Princess Auto(it's like a cheap all around parts store), so I am unsure of the specifics, but I can ask him. Some electrical work needs to be done to splice the wires together.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC100-240V-t...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ed3855d14

Here is one picture, sorry, the only one I had on my phone. On the left you can see the two 5 gallon buckets. The front one has the pump screwed onto the lid, with a hole in the middle of the lid for the hose to go through, and the drainage bucket behind it, with a hole in the lid for the hose to go in. The piping is laying on the floor. And oh ya, do you like the enclosures we built? lol. I'll start a thread with my cage build, in there you will also see the misting system. More pictures to come:)

Attachments

• Mist System 1.jpg
    Mist System 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 195
I like the cage you built! Very sharp. I'm a big fan of solid sided enclosures for chameleons with a screen front and top only.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?cat=2,2280&p=49657

Here is a link to the nozzles. Lee Valley all around has great accessories at really good prices.

Btw, I'm a girl:) My name is Dani. And credit for building goes to my boyfriend, Jamie.

Thanks frankpayne32, it is made out of PVC. The sides have screen, but I can swap them out for a solid piece of PVC, or plexi, which ever I choose. We call this cage "The Convertible." And I agree, mesh front and top is the way to go, best balance of humidity, air flow, and water proof.

Last edited:
Very nice! Where do you buy your pvc panels from?

Thank you. I believe the place was called Industrial Coatings and Plastics. Shouldn't be hard to find a supplier in your area if you google pvc sheet and the name of your city.

looking to build my next cage and see many like this and love the solid sides. i have a hard time with humidity in nj at certain points of the year and want to be able to have solid sides and not some plastic sheet. ive been looking at pvc online and see different types of pvc. are there certain ones i should be looking at? I am not to sure. I dont want something that can be harmful or melt etc. Always thinking of the chams health first.

looking to build my next cage and see many like this and love the solid sides. i have a hard time with humidity in nj at certain points of the year and want to be able to have solid sides and not some plastic sheet. ive been looking at pvc online and see different types of pvc. are there certain ones i should be looking at? I am not to sure. I dont want something that can be harmful or melt etc. Always thinking of the chams health first.

Here's the link to the thread I started for my cages I built.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-new-enclosures-140164/

This plastic is partially expanded PVC, it's actually a combo of wood and plastic. This kind is called Sintra. Some manufacturers use heat to bend the plastic and it doesn't start bending until 280F, higher temp for thicker plastic. It is safe, doesn't leach chemicals, is UV safe/resistant. You may want to follow my cage thread as I add pictures, you will see what it takes to build these, it's not easy or cheap. Since we already have the tools, we would have no problem building for anyone who is interested, I don't know shipping would go for these - other manufacturers do it, so it can't be too difficult lol.

Here's the link to the thread I started for my cages I built.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-new-enclosures-140164/

This plastic is partially expanded PVC, it's actually a combo of wood and plastic. This kind is called Sintra. Some manufacturers use heat to bend the plastic and it doesn't start bending until 280F, higher temp for thicker plastic. It is safe, doesn't leach chemicals, is UV safe/resistant. You may want to follow my cage thread as I add pictures, you will see what it takes to build these, it's not easy or cheap. Since we already have the tools, we would have no problem building for anyone who is interested, I don't know shipping would go for these - other manufacturers do it, so it can't be too difficult lol.

Thanks I don't mind building my own. I've built my own beardie tanks and gecko tanks in the past. Currently have plans for a mountain Horne lizard we have. Want to add chameleon to my list too. Just am used to using wood or old dressers. Very much interested in the pvc though. I will be sure to follow your other post. Thanks for the quick information about the one you used.

I am starting this thread to give ideas for alternatives, tricks and tips, that will/may save money!

I encourage anyone to add on ideas that will help out our fellow cham peeps! Things like organic potting soil, misters, foggers, drippers, etc. Things like caging alternatives eg wood/mesh terrarium instead of a flexarium from the store, wouldn't belong here, please post those ideas in the caging sticky:)

I am also big on recycling and earth friendly products. If you have ideas that incorporate re-using items, or effective cleaners please share those here.

Here is the link to the pump I use for my misting system:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261598685097...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=261598685097&_rdc=1

If you can't find it(it may take you to my eBay, which you wouldn't be able to view) type in this number on the eBay search bar: 261598685097

Below is a link to a power supply, with options. My boyfriend had picked up the transformer from Princess Auto(it's like a cheap all around parts store), so I am unsure of the specifics, but I can ask him. Some electrical work needs to be done to splice the wires together.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC100-240V-t...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ed3855d14

Here is one picture, sorry, the only one I had on my phone. On the left you can see the two 5 gallon buckets. The front one has the pump screwed onto the lid, with a hole in the middle of the lid for the hose to go through, and the drainage bucket behind it, with a hole in the lid for the hose to go in. The piping is laying on the floor. And oh ya, do you like the enclosures we built? lol. I'll start a thread with my cage build, in there you will also see the misting system. More pictures to come:)

Any idea what fittings were used on the pump? Assuming your using 1/4" line.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/92-piece-drip-parts-assortment/972826

I started off with this kit before I had found the nozzles at Lee Valley, it has been very useful and a good price. I used the red nozzles and the drippers, one of each in each terrarium and they work well.

For price comparison on nozzles/misters/jets:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=49667&cat=2,2280,49657

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-4-pat-low-vol-sprinkler-2-blr/972840

Does Lee Valley post to Europe or offer any international shipping?

I'll check at my local agricultural stores for misters and nozzles as well but thank you for the links! This has been extremely useful and I am a big fan of DIY :D :D

i ordered a pump and power supply. i'll post a link to fittings for the pump when i get it and get it working. really didn't need another misting system but for 25 bucks i thought why not? i can use it on my single cage after i get my double built.

would make for a great "dripper" filler.... seems a bit loud as compared to the site sponsors.... but for 1/4 the price..... i watched the youtube video, but only seen "rain"... while maybe what some are looking for, others may not be...

I'm very interested, not for misting, but for other stuff... a few questions, if you don't mind.

do you know the maximum head?
is it self priming?
how long have you been using?
have you tested the pressure?
have you tried to use a misting nozzle with it?
any issues as to why you would not use it?
have you seen or heard or used one of the site sponsors pumps?
if yes, how would you compare it?

Pump says it is 80-115 psi, plenty of pressure to run a misting nozzle. Im going to use the ez mister nozzles that are the quick connect.

After reading this thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-garage-misting-system-pictures-130245/
I went ahead and bought one of these to experiment with:
1/4" 110/120VAC Electric Solenoid Valve with Push-In Connectors, N/C, 120-Volt on eBay
Now, I've hooked it up to this needle valve:
anderson metals corp 719106-04 1/4 -Inch x 1/4 -Inch Compression Needle Valve on Amazon
To get a leak free connection to plastic MistKing style tubing you need a kit:
Watts 2-Pack 1/4-in Dia Coupling CPVC Fittings at Lowes
The solenoid valve gets water from our RO drinking water system via a 1/4" tube through the wall to the basement filter system.
I used some lamp cord, a plug, and some crimp on spade clip disconnects to wire up the solenoid valve, ran a tube to the top of the cage, and now I have an electrically timer-controlled dripper. I have to adjust it now and then to keep the dripping at a desired 1/sec since the pressure in the RO system changes as the storage bladder empties and fills.

would make for a great "dripper" filler.... seems a bit loud as compared to the site sponsors.... but for 1/4 the price..... i watched the youtube video, but only seen "rain"... while maybe what some are looking for, others may not be...

I'm very interested, not for misting, but for other stuff... a few questions, if you don't mind.

do you know the maximum head?
is it self priming?
how long have you been using?
have you tested the pressure?
have you tried to use a misting nozzle with it?
any issues as to why you would not use it?
have you seen or heard or used one of the site sponsors pumps?
if yes, how would you compare it?

Hi Happy, you're right, my video isn't that great, first time ever uploading a video to youtube so I just picked one. At the back of the enclosures is a dripper nozzle, which I think I'm going to switch to a misting nozzle. The nozzle at the front of the enclosure is a mister, it just has lots of plants around it, making it look like rain.

I do not know the max head height, it doesn't say on the pump or the ebay add. But, the pump is sitting on top of a 5 gal bucket, and the hose goes up 6 feet, and pumps 6 feet across the length of the enclosures.

I have not really tested pressure. Unless you can count having water fun testing out the different nozzles at the sink lol...what a mess haha.

Currently using one full circle mist nozzle, and one dripper.

So far no issues. It is a diaphragm pump, so a bit loud. This weekend I will be tying in another line for a 2' x 2' x 4' enclosure that will sit beside the big one.

No, I have not checked out/used the site sponsors. I had read the specs on Mistking website, and did my research to find something comparable or better, at less cost.

I'm sorry if I can't answer some people's questions, my boyfriend does all the building, wiring, etc, I take care of the health and science end of things:)

Dani

Back
Top Bottom