Need Equipment Advice for First Setup

artgecko

Hello all,

I am getting my supplies list together for my first setup and wanted your advice. I am planning on setting up an XL reptibreeze enclosure for a veiled chameleon. I will list my setup ideas and the items I'm intending to buy below and would appreciate any advice you can give. I am not trying to do a super cheap setup, but also would appreciate your advice on selecting items that are of good quality, while not spending more than I need to..

Lighting: I'm looking at this fixture, which has 2 T5 bulbs. I am planning on switching one out for a reptisun 5.0 uv bulb and keeping the other as a 6500k bulb. I may also add an LED spotlight for plant growth. If there is a less expensive, and slimmer fixture out there that would hold the T5 UV bulb, please let me know. I have searched, but have been unable to find one online.

Heating: Depending on how things go with the LED spot, (I may not need another heat source), I will use a 5" dome fixture and a 50 watt basking bulb. I would appreciate thoughts on which bulb would be best. Room temps do not drop below 75f (heater on commercial t-stat), but can rise higher in the summer.

Gauges / controls: I will be using a digital indoor / outdoor thermometer / hygrometer with probe to measure basking area, ambient (at bottom of cage) and humidity. I will use a rheostat on the heat lamp and check the basking area with a temp gun to adjust it as needed.

Water: Planning on a drip system for drinking with a large water dish at the bottom of cage to collect the runoff. Will hand-mist daily also. I'd appreciate thoughts on what would be the best and simplist drip system to use. Ideally, I'd like something that needs to be refilled either daily, or less frequently. I was looking at this commercially made one, or using this along with airline hose and a bucket. Room humidity tends to stay ~45%-55%.

Plants / accessories: I will start off using fake vine and foliage along with some oak branches for climbing but will plan on purchasing a ficus or other large plant and potting in organic soil.. Ideally, I'd like to do maybe 2-3 potted plants in the enclosure.

Feeding: I have a large dubia colony that I already use to feed my tree frogs. I am hoping that will be a good main food source, along with supplemented worms and grubs. I use bowls to feed dubia out of for my frogs and will probably try to rig some sort of hanging bowl setup... with the plan to use one of these (if that will work with dubia). I'd appreciate your thoughts, as I do not want to feed / use crickets and want to make sure there is a good way to feed dubia without them getting lost in the enclosure. I love the design of those feeders, but am not sure if dubia would climb on them.

I would love your advice on how to attach items (vines, branches, etc.) to the sides of the enclosure. I do have zip ties on hand, but don't want to use methods that will greatly damage it (if possible). I would also appreciate your advice on bins or substrate containers that would fit this enclosure. I would eventually like to invest in a dragonstrand cage with a deep substrate bin and solid sides so that I can do a fully-planted bioactive setup.

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have any additional advice.

Thank you for your time and help!

Are you planning on getting an adult veiled or a juvenile? I have heard that if you put a juvenile into a big enclosure that it would affect their growth.

The ones they have at a store near me are quite large... probably close to 8 months old I would think. I wanted to go with the large reptibreeze, but the xl is on sale (it is currently less expensive than the large) on a site I found, so I figured bigger is better. I do have a spare 20gl high aquarium with a mesh lid that could be used temporarily if the XL cage is too big for now.

Are you planning on getting an adult veiled or a juvenile? I have heard that if you put a juvenile into a big enclosure that it would affect their growth.

How so? Just be sure they can access their food. If you think about it, in the wild they have the entire forest and have to find their own food. Do you really think an enclosure that is 2 x 2 x 4 feet or even bigger will really affect them?

To the OP, good choice on the light/ hood. Odyssea lights are sold by other dealers under other names for a LOT more. So you did well on that buy. Don't forget to figure in the cost of a good UVB bulb and a HO T5 for light. (looks like your already doing this)

Chams needed misted several times a day. Who will mist them when you r got or do you not work?

I would also suggest getting the enclose as much set up as possible before you put your Cham in. It will be less stressful for him (or her) if you aren't in there often rearranging a lot.

Lastly, read the care sheets for the details involved with the basic. Best of luck! Post photos of your work, the forum can be very helpful in giving constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reptiles!
Broderp- I was planning on misting him twice a day (before I leave for work and when I return) while leaving a drip waterer going all day as well. The room the cage will be in has a humidifier and the moisture stays in the 45-55% range (sometimes up to 60%), but I can play with the timer I have it on to keep it at a steady 60%. As-is, most of my glass planted enclosures stay around 75-80% humidity with misting once a day. I was hoping to play around with the humidifier and misting schedule to see what will work best. I could also modify the screen enclosure by blocking off 2 sides with plexi glass and seeing if that would help. In addition to this, I want to use several live potted plants, or do a planted bio active substrate which might help.

I would consider a misting system, but I have no cheap sources for RO water in my area and do not have my own system... I have heard that misters cannot be maintained when running on tap water, so I feel that they would not be a good option for me (unless there is a work-around for the whole tap water thing).

I want to play around with my enclosure setup and get the parameters in line before I buy a chameleon. I am now planning on ordering a cham (either a juvie high color veiled or a juvie ambilobe panther) because the ones at my local store are all female and do not appear as healthy as I thought they were when I first saw them. Being a new owner, I feel starting with a healthy animal from a breeder would be a better bet.

If you have any other advice, I would love to hear it. I want to try to start out with the best setup possible so that I can be successful.

Back
Top Bottom