How to Build your own Misting system

Lpsouth1978

Avid Member
Let me start with a disclaimer:

You will probably not save much, if any, money by building your own misting system. It is still advisable that you purchase a system from MistKing or AquaZamp. This build thread is more for informative purposes, and for those that may already have a quality diaphragm pump, like I did.

The things you will need:

Diaphragm pump
Power supply
Fogger Nozzles
Various 1/4" John Guest fittings
1/4" Tubing (black if possible)
4 small Bolts w/nuts
Digital Minute Light timer
Bucket with lid
Scissors or razor blade
drill

For the diaphragm pump I recommend using an RO/DI booster pump. These are designed with 1/4" fittings so the tubing connects without needing to be modified. Also, they are designed to work with lots of back pressure, so can easily push the water through the nozzles making a fine mist. Usually the power supply is included with the pump.

The best nozzles I have found are 0.8GPH fogger nozzles from Home Depot or Lowes. They create a nice fine mist, like the AquaZamp nozzles, and are VERY inexpensive ($5 for 5).

The John Guest fittings that you need will depend on your unique system layout. I recommend 1 "t" and at least 1 elbow for each nozzle (except the last one on the system). Each elbow you use gives added articulation. You can see how these misting nozzles look once connected in the pictures below.

This is how you will put everything together.

Start by cutting a small hole in the screen top of your enclosure for each nozzle you plan to use.

Now attach a small piece of the 1/4" tube to the bottom of the first "t".

Attach an elbow to that tube, and attach another small piece of tube to the other end of the elbow.

At this point you can either add more elbows or attach the nozzle to this.

Repeat this process for each misting nozzle, but use an elbow instead of a "t" on the last nozzle.

Now remove the "t" (or elbow) from each misting assembly and put them back together through the holes you made in the screen top.

Then cut a the tube in the correct lengths to fit between each mister assembly and attach them all.

Now, you will need your drill. figure out where you will have the pump placed and drill a hole just large enough for the tubing to fit through it. Attach some tub to the pump and put it in place on top of the lid.

Once the pump is in place, mark the hole placement, for each of the pump feet, on the bucket lid and drill holes for the bolts in these spots. Now connect your pump to the lid using the bolts.

Now connect the pump to the first misting assembly and set up your timer.

Fill the bucket with water, and watch your new misting system go to work.

Here is a video of my DIY system working on my veiled enclosure.
http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/l...F6-3879-0000022796FA67B8_zps13dc1e4e.mp4.html

I have been testing one on my veiled enclosure for about a month and it is working flawlessly. It only cost me about $40, but I had an RO booster pump laying around. I tried a CHEAP diaphragm pump for another enclosure, but the pump could not handle it.

Unless I can find another AWESOME deal on a booster pump, my next one will probably be from Mistking. I have a Semi-Free range Panther enclosure in the works, so that will probably get the MistKing system.

future cage

That is a lot of work on a temporary cage. i hope you are planning on moving him into a screened cage later tonight or tomorrow. or is this possibly your frogs cage? TRUST me when i say that nothing good will come from keeping a cham in an exoterra glass cage. by the way the screen top will rust before you get through watching an episode of 'friends'. I'm not hating, just speaking from experience. I wish i wouldn't have wasted my money on the ones i bought at first, only to throw them away for recommended screen cages. i managed pet stores and worked for reptile wholesalers. i could make it work, no problem. WRONG! just advice not lecturing, believe nothing worse than a know it all. 666/7

I have the Aquazamp with the low profile rain dome, and I really like it. The setup was super easy and I even liked how it was shipped. Everything was protected inside the bucket. They're both great systems.

That is actually just a short term cage for a panther baby I plan on buying. Right now there is just a plant in it. The top is already rusting, so I plan to replace the stock mesh with aluminum mesh soon. My other enclosure is 36"W x 18"D x 48" tall. That is the one in the video. I will be putting a 1.5 yr male Veiled in it tomorrow.

Once the panther is big enough to put in the up coming semi-free range, I will probably use the terrarium for red eye tree frogs.

Nice job. I like to fabricate as much as i can myself, but decided to just by the MistKing starter system after pricing parts. Its a pretty good deal and it saved me probably 5 trips to Home Depot, I have yet to start and finish a project without forgetting parts.

I did decide to make a DYI rain dome, with a built in dripper. Using a plastic cereal container. Every time the mister goes off it will fill the cup and provide a slow drip in between rain showers

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 307
I frequent saltwater fish stores that take in used equipment and see them there every once in a while. The last one I got only cost me $30 and has been going strong for several years.

I tried a CHEAP diaphragm pump for another enclosure, but the pump could not handle it.

Can you post a link to that pump? Just to be sure we all stay away from it.

Here's a cheap pump I bought that works really well but noisy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Volt-DC..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item19e1f95e59&vxp=mtr It has run up to eight nozzles so far, but goes cachunk, cachunk. cachunk. :rolleyes:

I can live with it. Probably be quieter if it was not mounted to the reservoir that acts like a drum and amplifies it.

Nice job. I like to fabricate as much as i can myself, but decided to just by the MistKing starter system after pricing parts. Its a pretty good deal and it saved me probably 5 trips to Home Depot, I have yet to start and finish a project without forgetting parts.

I did decide to make a DYI rain dome, with a built in dripper. Using a plastic cereal container. Every time the mister goes off it will fill the cup and provide a slow drip in between rain showers

Jaklz, can you expand upon your couple of pics of the DIY rain dome w/ dripper. There was a thread yesterday that a few of us were discussing almost this exact same idea. I'm working on an enclosure right now, and love the idea of the combo mister w/ drip reservoir. Please show a few more pics of your dripper container. :D

How do you keep the bottom from filling up with water? Love the glass for chams when small but without something on the bottom I had problems with water. I feel that it is easier for them to find free range food which keeps them active and engaged, but the water problem is somthing I could not find an answer to.

How do you keep the bottom from filling up with water? Love the glass for chams when small but without something on the bottom I had problems with water. I feel that it is easier for them to find free range food which keeps them active and engaged, but the water problem is somthing I could not find an answer to.

Somehow you need to figure out a way to incorporate a drain hole, so the water can remove itself from the enclosure.

This is a very useful thread!

Now questions, :p
Do those RO pumps filter the water for you? For example, if I put tap water in reservoir, will the water come out from pump be RO water?

And if I put tap water in reservoir, will the mineral build up clog the pump?

Btw, anyone knows any local store selling misting nozzles? I know I can buy from MistKing or Aquazamp but I just don't want to pay the shipping for a $6 piece.

Thanks in advance
Albert

There is a whole thread on Here about drainage systems.

Anyways just put some wholes in the center of the PVC bottom of the cage. If you have a plant in there naturally it will weigh down the center and the water will drain through the holes. Putting the plant on a stand helps also.. They even sell drainage pans on aquazamps website.. As well as LLLreptile.

Now if your cage doesn't have a PVC bottom since its glass I don't really know.

This is a very useful thread!

Now questions, :p
Do those RO pumps filter the water for you? For example, if I put tap water in reservoir, will the water come out from pump be RO water? No, the pump itself does not filter the water.

And if I put tap water in reservoir, will the mineral build up clog the pump? I have very low TDS in my tap water so mineral build up has not been a problem for me.

Btw, anyone knows any local store selling misting nozzles? I know I can buy from MistKing or Aquazamp but I just don't want to pay the shipping for a $6 piece. I got mine at Home Depot in the sprinkler section. Make sure you get the 0.8 GPH fogger nozzles. They are only $5 for a pack of 5 nozzles.

Thanks in advance
Albert

I hope that helps.

There is a whole thread on Here about drainage systems.

Anyways just put some wholes in the center of the PVC bottom of the cage. If you have a plant in there naturally it will weigh down the center and the water will drain through the holes. Putting the plant on a stand helps also.. They even sell drainage pans on aquazamps website.. As well as LLLreptile.

Now if your cage doesn't have a PVC bottom since its glass I don't really know.

The glass terrariums like the one in the above pics can be drilled. It is a slow process, but not difficult. Just get a good glass hole drill bit and then cover the hole with some mesh so no bugs can get in or out. Set it on a drip tray, or put a bucket under it in your stand. It would not be a very big hole, so easy to do. You could even drill the hole near a corner and very slightly tip the whole setup so the water naturally runs to that corner.

Back
Top Bottom