Almost done my breeding setup!

I'm interested in building a setup like that at some point too.

Is it a problem that the cages face each other and the chams will be able to see each other?

You need to put in visual dividers when putting this type of setup in place, that way they cant see each other...

Actually I've never had issues with them looking at each other, unless there was is other lighting in the room (non chameleon lights). And even then, no significant issue. You could place males on one side and females on the far facing wall to help insure that any interactions between them be flirtation rather than aggression.

Ok. What about hatchlings/babies in visual range of adults? When my female Veiled was a baby, she seemed absolutely terrified at the sight of my adult male on the odd occassion that she glimpsed him as I took him past her cage to his outside enclosure.

So if you set up a 'nursery' area for hatchlings and babies in the breeding area, do you keep them visually partitioned from the adult chams?

Actually I've never had issues with them looking at each other, unless there was is other lighting in the room (non chameleon lights). And even then, no significant issue. You could place males on one side and females on the far facing wall to help insure that any interactions between them be flirtation rather than aggression.

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. 5 Female on the one wall, 5 Male on the other wall and then have a thin curtain between the ones in the middle that are facing the wall. It will work out nice.

You need to put in visual dividers when putting this type of setup in place, that way they cant see each other...

You don't have to, just like Will has stated above. I will put a small curtain in the middle of the one side though, for the ones in the middle facing the wall. Thanks for the input anyways...

Last edited:
Ok. What about hatchlings/babies in visual range of adults? When my female Veiled was a baby, she seemed absolutely terrified at the sight of my adult male on the odd occassion that she glimpsed him as I took him past her cage to his outside enclosure.

So if you set up a 'nursery' area for hatchlings and babies in the breeding area, do you keep them visually partitioned from the adult chams?

I haven't got that far yet but I'm thinking that all my neonates will be housed in my room. Same with my incubators. I'll be using 18x18x24 Exo Terra units for all my neonates.

Wow! Very impressive! I like the wall color. Is it really pink like the picture makes it look? So what are your plans for this fabulous space? What will you be breeding? Inquirying minds need to know :)

Last edited:
Wow! Very impressive! I like the wall color. Is it really pink like the picture makes it look? So what are your plans for this fabulous space? What will you be breeding? Inquirying minds need to now :)

Hahaha! Yeah it's really pink and bright in there! That's the insulation. I'll be breeding Panthers in there. Maroantsetra, Nosy Be and Ambanja. I only have 1female that is ready to breed and she's gravid now. It'll definetly take some time to mature but i'm hoping it goes well :)

Hey bud, your setup looks great! Just wondering.... you say your cages are 18x18x48.... isnt that smaller than the recommended 24x24x48 size for an adult male panther? I was interested in doing the same thing (layout and cage size) but didnt want to risk stressing out the chams in anything less than, so thats why im asking. Also, were these custom sized for you? because on flchams it doesnt show what you got as a standard size. Thanks again bud! :)

Jim

Hey bud, your setup looks great! Just wondering.... you say your cages are 18x18x48.... isnt that smaller than the recommended 24x24x48 size for an adult male panther? I was interested in doing the same thing (layout and cage size) but didnt want to risk stressing out the chams in anything less than, so thats why im asking. Also, were these custom sized for you? because on flchams it doesnt show what you got as a standard size. Thanks again bud! :)

Jim

Thanks! Setup still isn't quite done. I just added a nice 18" shelf for the cages along the walls to get them up off the floor. For the ones in the middle, I put 4 (18x18x24) exo terra's at the bottom and stacked my 4 new cages on top of those. I'll use all 4 exo terra's to hold all my feeders. Will had given me that idea and it was a good one. 18x18x48 is totally fine for a full grown male. As long as the height of the cage isn't effected, it will be fine. I had these custom made. It cost me the same as what the 24x24x48 would have cost because it was a special order and they had to make a die for it. I actually wanted 18x18x60 but they couldn't ship them properly so they couldnt make them for me. I'm quite happy with the ones a got now though.

Seems like you are taking this pretty serious as evident by your set-up which looks great by the way. I have virtually no experience with breeding chameleons. Especially not for money. One thing that did catch my eye was the ratio of males to females. It seems to me like you should have way more females then males. Maybe one male for every five or six ladies. More clutches, more money and very happy males. Again I am by no means very experienced in this area just...well if I was going to go for it, it would be like that.

Seems like you are taking this pretty serious as evident by your set-up which looks great by the way. I have virtually no experience with breeding chameleons. Especially not for money. One thing that did catch my eye was the ratio of males to females. It seems to me like you should have way more females then males. Maybe one male for every five or six ladies. More clutches, more money and very happy males. Again I am by no means very experienced in this area just...well if I was going to go for it, it would be like that.

I do agree that I need more females, but at this point, I could only get what I got. Once I have a few successful clutches, I can pick and choose which of the breeders stay, and which can go. It should all work out in the end.

wow, I had some serious concerns with what you were doing , but you must have taken quite some time to design this room. It looks good .. very nice.

Would you be entering the shed directly from outside or is there a windbreak at the front ? Winter can be brutally cold in February..

thanks for sharing the project pix...

wow, I had some serious concerns with what you were doing , but you must have taken quite some time to design this room. It looks good .. very nice.

Would you be entering the shed directly from outside or is there a windbreak at the front ? Winter can be brutally cold in February..

thanks for sharing the project pix...

Thanks Cham man, I appreciate it. Yeah, I did a lot of researching on the design before purchasing, assembling and building it. It was all worth my while.
The shed is built right beside my fence so it should be a very good wind break. I only plan on entering it twice a day in the winter. Door open very fast and closed very fast. It won't affect my ambient temp too badly. Maximum 5-10 degrees, IF that.

Are you going to try a dry run with all basking lights running for a day or two.. you will be running about 14 x 40 or 14 x 60 watts.... if it proves to be too hot , try running the basking lights in 2 banks on seperate timers and cycle one bank one for a few hours , then off and the other bank opposite. That way you would only have half the lights on at a time.

Are you going to try a dry run with all basking lights running for a day or two.. you will be running about 14 x 40 or 14 x 60 watts.... if it proves to be too hot , try running the basking lights in 2 banks on seperate timers and cycle one bank one for a few hours , then off and the other bank opposite. That way you would only have half the lights on at a time.

I'm not too concerned about that. I'll have a heating/air conditioning unit to keep ambient temps always the same regardless of the basking bulbs. Pretty funny to think that the a/c may kick in,in the winter time hehehe
If that doesnt work, which it should, I'll try your suggestion. :)

Back
Top Bottom