All my sundews died and I'm in gnat hell

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
My work from home office is in the same room as my chameleon. I have a bioactive enclosure and a current fungus gnat problem. On any given video call I'm swatting or slapping gnats or trying to blow them out of my nose.

I know there have been other threads about this, with some tech solutions, but I really want to make sundews work! My enclosure itself has a pitcher plant which is very happy but clearly not enough to take care of the gnat issue.

My sundews were sitting in my window sill getting plenty of sun, and I was watering them every day with reverse osmosis water. They all eventually shriveled and faded away. I don't think they ever captured any flies. :(

Please help save me from this hell I've created for myself. ?

What species were they? Drosera capensis caught thousands of them for me :confused:

Hi James! I had two drosera capensis and two drosera spatulata. I understand now that the spatulata probably wouldn't do anything for me, but I'm surprised the capensis didn't. Maybe it wasn't big enough? I ordered them from Pet Fly Trap.

Honestly, I wish I had some advice. Drosera capensis worked amazingly for me and I tried many methods. My old phone(if i could find it) has pictures of them almost black covered in gnats. They grew so fast too. I got mine from California carnivores and put them on a windowsill.

You could maybe try a grow light over them if you have one too. Did you have them sitting in a lot of water and acidic soil? You're in florida, so I can't imagine your humidity is too low...

I kept the soil they came in and would give them lots of water each day - maybe that's the issue? I fight to get humidity down to 40% during the mornings for Yoda, and from there it climbs back up to 70%.

I know your sticking with plants but I have the toloco and it works great!! Because those little b*****d’s have a special place in hell reserved. Lol!!! Jk. But seriously they suck!!

I kept the soil they came in and would give them lots of water each day - maybe that's the issue? I fight to get humidity down to 40% during the mornings for Yoda, and from there it climbs back up to 70%.

Well first, they should be sitting in water at all times. My one I have in my office is practically an aquatic plant where the water level is right below the top layer of soil. As long as they're soaking in water it's fine though. My other thoughts are that there is something wrong with the soil they sent them in and/or the water was too hard.

Yeah I was using RO water, but the water would drain through the bottom of the pot so maybe that was the issue!

i let my water sit out for a day before use, its tap, have had pitcher plant for 1 year never any issues..
it has grown a ton in fact.

Back
Top Bottom