Gnats and Sundews or other solutions

ajs

Avid Member
I've noticed an increase in gnats in my cham's enclosure and I'd love to get rid of them.

I've seen some posts suggesting sundews, but I've also read that they need grow lights and can be finicky and I dont have a green thumb to say the least.

Also, I'd rather not spend $40 on a Katchy (I've been spending like an absolute madman on cham related things lately)

Would springtails work or is there a very cheap solution that doesn't require me to get a finicky plant, grow light, etc.?

Sundews are incredibly easy. Do you have a windowsill? They do need decent light, a window does the trick though. Otherwise they sit in acidic low nutrient soil like peat with a saucer of water(has to be distilled/ro/rainwater). They grow in bogs so think constantly soggy wet soil. They will thrive and spread in these conditions. Best gnat killer you can have.

Sundews are incredibly easy. Do you have a windowsill? They do need decent light, a window does the trick though. Otherwise they sit in acidic low nutrient soil like peat with a saucer of water(has to be distilled/ro/rainwater). They grow in bogs so think constantly soggy wet soil. They will thrive and spread in these conditions. Best gnat killer you can have.
Yeah my cham's cage is next to a window so that would maybe work. Although it doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight

Do they sell them at local home depot, lowes, etc.? I don't remember seeing any there when ive been lately but I could've overlooked them

You can try what I have done and is to get some PC fans blowing into the cage from the top. The reason for gnats is humidity plus stagnant air. I was given this tip from a Mistking rep at a show last summer. And ever since I haven’t had gnats issues except once last week when I noticed gnats out of now where. But it was because my fans got unplugged when I was changing my UVB. And within a few days to a week and no more gnats.

Yeah my cham's cage is next to a window so that would maybe work. Although it doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight

Do they sell them at local home depot, lowes, etc.? I don't remember seeing any there when ive been lately but I could've overlooked them

That window should be fine, they're very hardy. I've left mine in the garage over the winter and they've grown back in the summer. The main thing to have is the saucer of water and correct soil.

I got mine online at cali carnivores, but occasionally you'll see them at nurseries. Possibly home depot/lowes, but I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: ajs
Back
Top Bottom