Agressivness

Thats correct I am using the compacts, that is what they told me to use at the pet store. What should I be using?

They have been know to cause eye problems in various reptiles. some people haven't had any problems with them, but some have had serious issues. The ideal uvb bulb is a linear (tube) reptisun 5.0

Ugh! Another misleading pet store. I never personally liked those reptarium type cages. Screen looks dark and not sturdy. When she gets ready for a bigger cage look up some site sponsors. Great deals on stuff. Just do plenty of research on drain tables and stuff for the water problem. Gets pretty pricey but it makes u and ur chams life much easier.

Ugh! Another misleading pet store. I never personally liked those reptarium type cages. Screen looks dark and not sturdy. When she gets ready for a bigger cage look up some site sponsors. Great deals on stuff. Just do plenty of research on drain tables and stuff for the water problem. Gets pretty pricey but it makes u and ur chams life much easier.

I have removed the soil from the bottom just now. It just has the plastic bottom that is recommended for the cage, I will go buy a grass carpet this afternoon.

This set up I have now cost me almost $1K no kidding, though that was with the price of her but money is not an issue for me, its space and safety for her. She does climb on the walls pretty well though :) I will look into a nice sturdy wood / screen cage for her

Also, I kinda had to use a cricket as bait for her to come out of the cage. I covered my hand with leaves and grasped a cricket with some chopsticks and kinda led her onto my hand to get her in a box filled with plants till I changed it. That should be okay right? After when she had to return I put the box up to the cage and let her walk in on her own and used the chopsticks again with the cricket in it and she ate it right away (she ate the first one too)

Also, I kinda had to use a cricket as bait for her to come out of the cage. I covered my hand with leaves and grasped a cricket with some chopsticks and kinda led her onto my hand to get her in a box filled with plants till I changed it. That should be okay right? After when she had to return I put the box up to the cage and let her walk in on her own and used the chopsticks again with the cricket in it and she ate it right away (she ate the first one too)

should be ok. when it comes down to it the chameleons personality will have the biggest impact on how aggressive it is. her aggressiveness towards handling may be a result of poor handling done by the pet store you got her from. you can somewhat shape her personality by hand feeding treats like waxworms, or any feeder that gets an instant response out of her. then she may learn to associate your hand with the good feeling of munching down on a treat :D

veilled 's have a adolescent problem hehe , they can bite when they reach puberity , when they reach adult age it go's better

maybe she just wants to be a chameleon, they are not good pets to handle in my opinion, only handle them when nescesary otherwise leave them alone, you will stree her out

This is the best advice in this thread and the 4000 ones alike that have been started in the last month.

Hey now, I have had no problems using reptiglo compact lights. I would probably go for an 8.0 on a reptarium though. The mesh is dense.

Character difference...

Each Cham is different some are freindly and others are simply not. Chameleons by nature are solitary animals. So when you buy a Chameleon you have to be prepared to accept it "good" or "bad"... and the "ugly" so to speak.

I noticed in the one pic you say your BF has no problems... Chams will sometimes get used to one keeper... maybe this could be that... I know my 2 boys are ok with me but they do not care for my Husband or my Son.

Also good to hear you got rid of the waterfall. Better for your Cham. Also did you get rid of the subtrate from the bottom as well?

No subtrate...

The hood light itself has a spot for two, they are the small curly ones not the tube lights. I will remove the soil, but what should I put in its place, is it okay to use the fake grass type carpet for her? since it is a mesh cage I need something to save from water going on the table and floor

Best to have the bottom of the cage bare. After misting you can soak up any water with papertowels... and if you are using a dripper a few times a day you can put a "catch dish" under it and when your done running it remove the dish, then soak up any mosture again with papertowels.

Your enclosure should be allowed to completely dry out in between mistings and drippings. :p

If you use a catch dish you should cover in with mesh so the Cham can't get to it and the feeders can't fall in.

Why would you soak up moisture after misting?

Excess...

If you use a catch dish you should cover in with mesh so the Cham can't get to it and the feeders can't fall in.

Why would you soak up moisture after misting?

It sounds like they are worried about water "pooling" on the bottom...

I want to thank you all for your advice. I have put my drip right above the large log climing thing the wood is sucking up the water. I took out one of the UV bulbs and now she is not hiding all the time, she is sitting right out in the open so the bulb was definitely bothering her eyes. I put a green color towel under the large log to be changed often just to hold the remaining moisture from the drip and keep up the humidity. I just got a ficus for her. I need to change the soil and get some large rocks then it will be going in the enclosure with her.

Back
Top Bottom