Iris is shedding

Kodyf

Established Member
I see the first signs of shedding and I wanted to give all of Iris’s fans an update on my girl Iris since she is starting to become such a celebrity. She is growing up so fast and our bond is growing just as fast as her age. I snapped some beautiful photos of her, she will be shedding soon today or tomorrow. I will try to keep everyone updated and get a good photo when she gets fully frosted I will be watching her!

Attachments

• 7C2080C1-BFCE-4693-BA84-12D3986E77A6.jpeg
    7C2080C1-BFCE-4693-BA84-12D3986E77A6.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 69128EB9-6997-4695-99A7-D1FC9D458ADE.jpeg
    69128EB9-6997-4695-99A7-D1FC9D458ADE.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 03720316-F4BA-4FC7-BA3C-D556F85807E3.jpeg
    03720316-F4BA-4FC7-BA3C-D556F85807E3.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 17
At this age it moves pretty quickly. She is a little cutie.
Thank you so much for commenting on her good looks. Thanks to you, @MissSkittles, @elizaann2 and all the other wonderful people who gave us advice on her husbandry have helped our family give Iris the life she deserves. We will be forever members of this forum and we will always keep everyone updated on Iris for her entire life.

Beautiful little girl. 🥰 Don’t forget to post pics of her new outfit after she’s done shedding.
I will do that I am so excited to see the new skin she hasn’t frosted yet so maybe she won’t finish today, I’m going to low temp fog her tonight to loosen the skin and let her dry again tomorrow afternoon and hopefully then we will get to see that new bright green skin!

Hi everyone, she is making progress. This shed is taking her some time I feel bad. Last time she shed in less than an hour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 15
Does anyone have any recommendations to maybe help her on this shed. Last time I walked away for 30 minutes and she was fully frosted and got it all off in less than an hour. She seems to be having some troubles this time.

Does anyone have any recommendations to maybe help her on this shed. Last time I walked away for 30 minutes and she was fully frosted and got it all off in less than an hour. She seems to be having some troubles this time.
I would give it some more time. As they grow, it takes longer for them to shed. Even if she has some trouble there isn’t much you can really do. Chams are dry shedders so water will not help like it does other reptiles. When she gets up tomorrow, she will likely rub on her branches and get it off. The only thing to really be concerned about is if she gets stuck shed on her little toes or tail and it starts to cut off blood flow, but you are far from worrying about that ☺️

I would give it some more time. As they grow, it takes longer for them to shed. Even if she has some trouble there isn’t much you can really do. Chams are dry shedders so water will not help like it does other reptiles. When she gets up tomorrow, she will likely rub on her branches and get it off. The only thing to really be concerned about is if she gets stuck she’s on her little toes or tail and it starts to cut off blood flow, but you are far from worrying about that ☺️
Thanks for giving me that info. How should I do her humidity tonight then. I don’t want to interrupt her shedding I spray her cage until I hit %90 humidity every night when the lights go off. Should I do that tonight still or will that interrupt her process if she is still shedding overnight. I don’t want to fog or get her cage too wet if that interrupts the shedding process. I guess I just haven’t dealt with her shedding overnight yet so I don’t know how to handle it.

Thanks for giving me that info. How should I do her humidity tonight then. I don’t want to interrupt her shedding I spray her cage until I hit %90 humidity every night when the lights go off. Should I do that tonight still or will that interrupt her process if she is still shedding overnight.
I would just run things as normal. She still needs the hydration. Just don’t spray her directly.

I know these guys can be stressful. Mine always stresses me when he sheds. He didn’t have the best husbandry when I adopted him and he really hasn’t had a great shed yet. He always has lingering pieces. I just let him be and he takes care of it himself. Even with his background, he’s never got any stuck on his feet or tail though.

I would just run things as normal. She still needs the hydration. Just don’t spray her directly.

I know these guys can be stressful. Mine always stresses me when he sheds. He didn’t have the best husbandry when I adopted him and he really hasn’t had a great shed yet. He always has lingering pieces. I just let him be and he takes care of it himself. Even with his background, he’s never got any stuck on his feet or tail though.
Thanks so much for your quick info on this one her lights go out in an hour so I’ll be sure to keep her dry and spray the rest of the cage. I’ll update everyone tomorrow with some pictures hopefully we get to see her new coat

Agreed. Keep evening the same. Just monitor her for stuck shed around arms, hands/feet and tail to make sure nothing is restricting blood circulation.

She woke right up and got to work. She’s getting it all off and the skin has loosened up. The new skin looks beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 15
She woke right up and got to work. She’s getting it all off and the skin has loosened up. The new skin looks beautiful.
She is going to be rubbing a lot today to get all of that flaking off. Make sure you do not spray her directly while she is in this stage or it will stick to her.

I see the first signs of shedding and I wanted to give all of Iris’s fans an update on my girl Iris since she is starting to become such a celebrity. She is growing up so fast and our bond is growing just as fast as her age. I snapped some beautiful photos of her, she will be shedding soon today or tomorrow. I will try to keep everyone updated and get a good photo when she gets fully frosted I will be watching her!
What a sweetheart 😍

The moment we have all been waiting for. She has finished up for the most part and the new skin looks so much more green and colorful. Im glad she’s gotten it off it was hard for her to close her eyes last night. She is growing bigger fast a photo from two months ago when I look at it she looked so small. I’ll need a new cage soon, she only has 16x16 x40 from the world hated chameleon kit, I’ve waited because she was a baby but I think it’s due now if anyone wants to throw in some recommendations I’ll be buying her new enclosure and pothos on my next paycheck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 16
If you are looking to spend less I would go with this one it is better than the reptibreeze cages https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

If you have money to invest then go with Dragon Strand or Tamura Designs. These are pricey but you get what you pay for with them.
I love my Dragon Strands, if you can buy one of those I recommend it. I know a few people that have the Tamura enclosures and they are stunning. One of my dream enclosures. Cant go wrong with either one.

If you are looking to spend less I would go with this one it is better than the reptibreeze cages https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage

If you have money to invest then go with Dragon Strand or Tamura Designs. These are pricey but you get what you pay for with them.
I checked all of those, I think I might choose the tall hybrid chameleon cage system from Dragon Strand it looks worth the quality, I’ll get the mist king and get the pothos plant from a local plant store and she should be set. The only other thing I’ll be looking for on a different paying period is the best UVB set up I can get. I use a generic fixture with a linear bulb but I’ve seen other on this forum with ones that increase and decrease depending on the time of day I’d like one of those.

Back
Top Bottom