A Million Problems At Once: MBD + URI

Predator9555

So, as im sure many of you are aware, my chameleon is currently suffering from MBD. He is on the road to recovery, still the occasional fall but not nearly as many as he used to before we started treatment.

Unfortunately, it would now appear that he has developed URI. He is making the tell-tale clicking/popping noises that indicate URI, and he is breathing with his mouth slightly open.

Going to get a vet appointment ASAP now, need to go get some Baytril or something similar. What are the chances of a cham (Meller's) surviving simultanious MBD/URI? It just seems that now his immune system has been lowered, everything is coming at once.

Will keep you guys updated.

Got a vet visit in an hour. Going to ask for some baytril or similar, depending on the type of infection. Im definate that it is URI, he has all the symptoms.

Peice of crap vet cancelled, the secretary thought i could get an appointment but the vet has gone home. Got a new appointment tomorrow at midday. Keeping him hot (around 33 degrees C) under instruction of another website, apparently it can help clear it up completely, or at least make it decline a bit.

Those vets have really annoyed me now. Goddam it.

What a pain! Would they not give you an emergency appointment? I have read somewhere too (could've been on here, actually) that temps should be kept in the species specific upper range with cases of URI. I guess all you can do is keep him warm and hydrated - though I suppose he's roosting for the night now.

Its only 6pm... he is still awake. When does your light go on/off?

Im keeping him warm and damp. Just hope he holds out overnight. Im also swabbing away extra saliva with a Q-tip.

Last edited:
Lily's heat lamp goes off at 5pm. The uv goes off at 5.30pm. I'll start to increase the length of her day again soon. I've been following the natural daylight pattern for her, as she roosts when it starts to get dark anyway. She knows that when the heat lamp goes off it's time for bed!

Ah, i keep mine on a constant cycle. Apparently if you follow natural day pattern it can lead to semi-hibernation. I didnt really want that if he had MBD. I keep mine going from 7am to 8pm. Its a heat-UV combo.

I am very sorry about your cham, and hope everything goes well! And my time is 7-7 Am when i wake up, she gets up, 7pm shes 'Tucked In' Lol :)

Woohoo! Vet visit went well, she said that he is looking much stronger and has a better grip (well, i could have told her that), and gave me some baytril for a weeks course to help with his URI. I have to give him 0.06ml a day! Tiny tiny volumes.

He is also gaining weight and generally looking more perky. I think gizmo will pull through!

:DYay! That's great news. :D You must be so relieved! Hopefully the big guy will carry on getting better and better! At least he's heading in the right direction along that road to recovery!

Haha i wouldnt call myself a 'good' keeper. If i were a good keeper he wouldnt have MBD/URI in the first place! Im glad i managed to learn a lot from you guys, or i would have been stuffed!

On a side note, the vet also weighed him in at 294g. No doubt he will be around 350 when he is fully healthy. He is a chubby little chap!

EDIT: It also seems that the awful smelling poop he did was caused by eating paté rather than eating parasites, because he just did a perfectly healthy one. Not stinky at all!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom