A few questions on raising baby panthers.

jojothefirst

Just wondering what you guys opinions are on a few things I am not sure about.

What are your thoughts on using misting systems with baby panthers?

Would using cold water be a issue for them? (Rain is cold but people say to use warm water )

How many babies do you keep in groups and what would be minimum size set up?

Could live plants be a irritant to there eyes ( I know all the safe plants for adults )

And lastly, could to much calcium powder or a bad batch of calcium power potentially cause impaction?

Any opinions appreciated.

Just wondering what you guys opinions are on a few things I am not sure about.

What are your thoughts on using misting systems with baby panthers?

Would using cold water be a issue for them? (Rain is cold but people say to use warm water )

How many babies do you keep in groups and what would be minimum size set up?

Could live plants be a irritant to there eyes ( I know all the safe plants for adults )

And lastly, could to much calcium powder or a bad batch of calcium power potentially cause impaction?

Any opinions appreciated.

I believe the rain would be the temperature that it is typically in madagascar, and that is about 80+ degrees roughly and very humid so I don't think the rain there would really be cold. My reptile room is about 80 degrees so the water stays that temp and my babies don't seem to be alarmed or stressed by that temp of water. Others may have different inputs.

Also if you use an automatic misting system make sure there is proper drainage if you use exo terra enclosures or tubs to start out with. You don't want any puddles in the enclosures.

For the amount to have in a group I think ten in a group is probably the max size. I have done bigger and not had optimal results.

Also a big issue is to make sure to seperate the alphas from the group along with seperating them based on size. Some always seem to naturally grow faster than others and tend to bully the others ones, such as getting the best basking spot, eating most of the food given, and probably just stressing the smaller ones out.

I have seen a lot of people use pothos plants with good results. Just make sure if you use them with the baby enclosures that you rinse them with warm water before hand in the shower.

One reason I don't use live plants for baby enclosures are bugs always hide in the potho plant pots, like underneath or in the pot itself... Then I know the crickets hide and come out at night and bug the babies.

Also I have never heard of a bad batch of calcium powder, or calcium causing impaction... There are preferred brands over some cheaper brands that don't stick to the bugs as well. But I have never heard of it causing impaction, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I hope this helped.

Have a great Turkey Day!

I believe the rain would be the temperature that it is typically in madagascar, and that is about 80+ degrees roughly and very humid so I don't think the rain there would really be cold. My reptile room is about 80 degrees so the water stays that temp and my babies don't seem to be alarmed or stressed by that temp of water. Others may have different inputs.

Also if you use an automatic misting system make sure there is proper drainage if you use exo terra enclosures or tubs to start out with. You don't want any puddles in the enclosures.

For the amount to have in a group I think ten in a group is probably the max size. I have done bigger and not had optimal results.

Also a big issue is to make sure to seperate the alphas from the group along with seperating them based on size. Some always seem to naturally grow faster than others and tend to bully the others ones, such as getting the best basking spot, eating most of the food given, and probably just stressing the smaller ones out.

I have seen a lot of people use pothos plants with good results. Just make sure if you use them with the baby enclosures that you rinse them with warm water before hand in the shower.

One reason I don't use live plants for baby enclosures are bugs always hide in the potho plant pots, like underneath or in the pot itself... Then I know the crickets hide and come out at night and bug the babies.

Also I have never heard of a bad batch of calcium powder, or calcium causing impaction... There are preferred brands over some cheaper brands that don't stick to the bugs as well. But I have never heard of it causing impaction, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I hope this helped.

Have a great Turkey Day!

That helps a lot yea, thank you. A lot of good info there.

Other than drainage, is there any other issue with using a misting system with babies?

Reason I ask about the calcium powder causing impaction is that a had a few babies from my last batch struggle with impaction and I'm trying to rule out what could have caused it.

I have never heard of calcium powder causing impaction in cham babies.
You only use a tiny amount to just dust the feeders with lightly.

What are your babies eating?

Dont put anything in the baby cage that they could possibly swallow.

How do you have your lighting set up?

Back
Top Bottom