A comparison of four T.j.j. females from the same clutch

JacksJill

Website Manager
Staff member
I want to show you four different females from the same clutch to show you how different they can look even when closely related. I'm going to do it in 4 separate entries so try to hold comments until I get all four entries up.

Here is the female I call Eleven. She is fairly typical coloration and was easy for me to sex, especially with her delicate horns and tail. Note the hint of yellow along her side stripe and consistent green background.
Eleven.jpg

This last one was the hardest for me to sex. She looks very male in coloration except for one thing that I will tell you below the image. I wasn't sure for the longest time if she was female or a late bloomer male. I'm fairly certain that she's a female but I could get surprised.
TwoB.jpg

TwoA.jpg

She has the brighter yellow stripe that males display but under her chin is green rather than blue that the males are clearly showing at this age. They are over 6 months now. Ultimately even that doesn't mean much because the only real way to determine sex is to look for the buldge under the tail and coloration is a poor indication of sex in this species.

It's nice seeing the different outcomes. Mind showing pics of the brothers. I'm just trying to figure out what to look for and what I like when it comes time for me to get my Jackson.

They are all beautiful! Jackson’s are my favorites but I didn’t know the females could have 3 horns as well. Now I’m nervous that Eustis could possibly be female!!😟 How can I tell for sure??

I have a different subspecies than you do. Xanth females don’t have horns usually and if they do it’s only one little one. I like these because even the females have horns. It makes them harder to sex but with their colors it’s worth it.

Back
Top Bottom