3D printing for yer chameleon

Remkon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Sooo...
I recently bought a cheap 3D printer (Anet A8) and while tweaking printquality and stuff I figured, what better purpose than to print something for the chameleons....

I have some basic 3D modeling skills so I started to design some 'clip' you can tie to the screen of the cage and from there you can hook a screw that you screwed into your branches... The idea is to make the branches easier to remove since you won't have to cut and redo the wiring every time.

Yes, I do know you can probably buy some towelhook and tie it to the mesh or even use magnets with a glue gun but where's the fun in that!

I'm using a foodsafe (antibacterial)l PLA so it should be perfectly hygienic as well.
I have not yet put them to the test but I expect my current design is more than strong enough.
They are around 4cm diameter and take 45minutes to print at my current settings, use 1.08m of PLA which is around 11cents worth.

Here is what I came up with (print quality still needs some work but that seems pretty hard to tweak):

y3msijAhfmpvcu-ttFdREl_Id_zEBmaboCo0APNht5HNnY5yjaRT5l84-sJlfoWXsg3MelKvamIfH3xsHhIJPsdpOgN-kzQ-FdKTgQousIQjulDV0YblqTRdSwDnLhp4iwI5F6lJm99MEn4Rr4Ay01rQH699vyZIolutBKMSjaJL6c

y3mCZSl7usw4T56bW2lFHPN6H4v8noNyJI7iyhpgJXeUf7tHnx4s1xHnH7ytCCW2oY_pJme55bwzgiegNLgADZnVOmLlSXIOmqWu09uNh08W-qfOlMDrt-4f4W0-PxEm9qBW1SZuC8Mtdg7586gSoErcZ_RJPL8VBx_EXCxpQ2EmTI

Buy chameleons???? Nah, print em:
y3m_cYtBHSXyFRjG9VOQ9jAMhejsPvqMU-2iPVHBlhFH7zRk0x7muOEeZANtS662-FSExmwLJiinRdXba47mtz3ogJHitTYgDi2Vwk27bVO3ZipXFOfR9lCawgiXt6wQbE8hD-xsWwwSxQcxXvW7TFe6Hw0U4WMqo2f6y01RE6TCjk

I saw those "cheap" 3D printers for sale and though I have no need I want one!! Now I have a need. I can make baby chameleons!! Your clip thing is pretty awesome. I actually have dragon ledges for my cage and those clips would be a perfect companion for them. Better get patenting.

I saw those "cheap" 3D printers for sale and though I have no need I want one!! Now I have a need. I can make baby chameleons!! Your clip thing is pretty awesome. I actually have dragon ledges for my cage and those clips would be a perfect companion for them. Better get patenting.
Mine was 180€ with the autolevelsensor, I now ordered a mosfet so the bed can draw power from the psu instead from the mainboard otherwise it could overload.

The chameleon is from thingiverse.com, I will upload/share my model there too eventually.

Mine was 180€ with the autolevelsensor, I now ordered a mosfet so the bed can draw power from the psu instead from the mainboard otherwise it could overload.

The chameleon is from thingiverse.com, I will upload/share my model there too eventually.
When do I get mine ;).

As I said before Remkon- absolutely brilliant and such a fascinating subject , Technology eh? Incredible. 3d printer so cheap- I want one too! Thanks for sharing!

I like seeing your use of the 3D printer I have been wanting one to make some items for my snake and lizard enclosures and those holders you worked up are awesome.

As I said before Remkon- absolutely brilliant and such a fascinating subject , Technology eh? Incredible. 3d printer so cheap- I want one too! Thanks for sharing!
Well, the technology could use improvement still...

I was very happy with the results on my pink filament but the blue just doesn't want to give a nice and smooth surface...
Oh well, tweaking is part of the fun and while not perfect, the results can still be used.(y)

I like seeing your use of the 3D printer I have been wanting one to make some items for my snake and lizard enclosures and those holders you worked up are awesome.
Thanks!
I have printed some different models but either they didn't look good or just didn't meet the requirements I had for them. (Like holding the screw in an angle).
I just have a bit of trouble with this PLA, I'm pretty sure it's caused by settings and not by the printer itself so I'll need to tweak more.

Thanks!
I have printed some different models but either they didn't look good or just didn't meet the requirements I had for them. (Like holding the screw in an angle).
I just have a bit of trouble with this PLA, I'm pretty sure it's caused by settings and not by the printer itself so I'll need to tweak more.
Well one thing to keep in mind is the quality of the print material itself. I have heard and if you haven't maybe peek into it you can use small vapors in a container to smooth out figures and items. Since often the layers are apparent and I wish I had the video I saw but it smooths them out without melting down the figure.

Poor material or impure will tend to pocket degrade when applied to that effect. Only decorative items would be worth your time to smooth of course.

Hope to see some more of your creations : )

You're right, a flawless surface is not that important for this, but it's nice to achieve anyways.
I also have a toolset, much like a soldering iron, that can be used to fix these issues.

I'm not sure about the quality of the PLA, the brand is 'purement' but i think it's the store brand.
The ABS of the same brand gave good results tho but is not food safe so I'm not using it for that.
I think the main issue is that the object is rounded so that's harder to get right.

I'm considering printing the door hinges for and the plates where you can stick the mister nossles trough.
Maybe some guides for the tubing sice tiewraps work but don't look great. :p
I may need to get black filament instead, you know for the looks!

Back
Top Bottom