36" Light Fixture with 12% Arcadia Bulb

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
Over the weekend I was trying unsuccessfully to order my light fixture from lightyourreptiles.

Turns out they are sold out and won't get any in until the end of August.

What other quad fixtures are people using? I'd hate to buy a 36" fixture with the 6% bulb and the correct 12% bulb from lightyourreptiles. Not sure why they can't just swap bulbs for me.

I'd also like the other 3 bulbs be the 6500 full spectrum bulbs for my plants.

Thanks,

Tony

Over the weekend I was trying unsuccessfully to order my light fixture from lightyourreptiles.

What other quad fixtures are people using? I'd hate to buy a 36" fixture with the 6% bulb and the correct 12% bulb from lightyourreptiles. Not sure why they can't just swap bulbs for me.

Thanks,

Tony
Did you email him or call him? I know he was in the office this morning because I spoke with him. I didn't realize you needed a 36 inch. What size cage are you getting?

Thanks,

Tony

How about we wheel and deal.

First, 34" T5 HO bulbs are very rare, most get either 22" or 46".

So...

If you get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Agrobrite-FLT48-Fluorescent-System/dp/B0031WU2ZM

I "feel" this is a higher quality hood vs todds. It has a very nice name brand balast, and it has individual reflectors, so you get double the light output vs todds mono reflector quads.

Then you can get 6% (or zoomed 5.0) and get a bit more UVB out of it vs a 12% in a mono reflector quad.

The hood comes with 4 6500k bulbs already (so should todds). Or, i use zoomed ultrasuns for my 6500k bulbs, they are in the fish tank section and last forever.

Did you email him or call him? I know he was in the office this morning because I spoke with him. I didn't realize you needed a 36 inch. What size cage are you getting?
Todd emailed me back today saying they were not going to get any in until around August 22-24

I'm picking up the Exo Terro 36x18x36 on august 10th from the Carlisle reptile expo.

I guess I can wait until they get them back in. I was going to have the lights burn in, I've read the UVB bulbs give off more the first week or so, is that correct?

So...

If you get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Agrobrite-FLT48-Fluorescent-System/dp/B0031WU2ZM

I "feel" this is a higher quality hood vs todds. It has a very nice name brand balast, and it has individual reflectors, so you get double the light output vs todds mono reflector quads.

Then you can get 6% (or zoomed 5.0) and get a bit more UVB out of it vs a 12% in a mono reflector quad.

The hood comes with 4 6500k bulbs already (so should todds). Or, i use zoomed ultrasuns for my 6500k bulbs, they are in the fish tank section and last forever.
With individual reflectors do you think the brightness is much better then the single? I may be doing a cage build and I am debating on doing a dual vs a quad. With this one would you say the dual would put out as much light as a quad with a a single reflector?

So...

If you get this:

I thought about going that route, but you are correct, 36" fixtures are had to come buy. I don't know if I want a 24" fixture and being short 6 inches on each side.

I thought about going that route, but you are correct, 36" fixtures are had to come buy. I don't know if I want a 24" fixture and being short 6 inches on each side.

Well just double check what you are buying . Beman bought a "30" hood, and it just has staggered 22" bulbs inside. Id hate for you to by a 36" hood and it come with more staggered 22" bulbs. As i said 34" is rare.

With individual reflectors do you think the brightness is much better then the single? I may be doing a cage build and I am debating on doing a dual vs a quad. With this one would you say the dual would put out as much light as a quad with a a single reflector?

A quad individual reflector will put out double the light of a quad single reflector.

If you want a mono relfector chart
single 100%
double 160%
quad 200%

Last edited:
Well just double check what you are buying . Beman bought a "30" hood, and it just has staggered 22" bulbs inside. Id hate for you to by a 36" hood and it come with more staggered 22" bulbs. As i said 34" is rare.
Wow, that's a little misleading to say the least. Thanks for the info, I'll have to double check on the bulb sizes for whatever I do end up getting.

Another option are the Zoomed LED/UVB fixtures. I've used the 24" version on a 24"x24"x48" cage before and currently have the 36" version on a DIY cage and they use a standard 34" T5 bulb like the Arcadia 6% or Zoomed 5% bulbs and have a handful of LED modules with 6500k white lights, red lights, and blue lights that are on a separate power cord from the T5 bulb so you can toggle them on and off or have them hooked up to a separate timer. I've used them for a couple years now and have been pretty happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...Vaw1H9anu_tbXHBU_HZdAv07p&cshid=1564670741329

If you get this:

Would I still need to get a 12% with this hood or would the 6% okay because of the reflector? (Trying to plan ahead)

Another option are the Zoomed LED/UVB fixtures. I've used the 24" version on a 24"x24"x48" cage before and currently have the 36" version on a DIY cage and they use a standard 34" T5 bulb like the Arcadia 6% or Zoomed 5% bulbs and have a handful of LED modules with 6500k white lights, red lights, and blue lights that are on a separate power cord from the T5 bulb so you can toggle them on and off or have them hooked up to a separate timer. I've used them for a couple years now and have been pretty happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...Vaw1H9anu_tbXHBU_HZdAv07p&cshid=1564670741329
Would I still need to get a 12% with this hood or would the 6% okay because of the reflector? (Trying to plan ahead)
Link isn't working for me.

I guess it has a separate reflector for the T5 bulb and would only need the 6% bulb?

If you got that exact one that night gave the link for then you get the 6% because that fixture has individual reflectors for each bulb. It is only when it is a single reflector and more then 2 bulbs using it like in a quad that you need the 12%. :)

If you got that exact one that night gave the link for then you get the 6% because that fixture has individual reflectors for each bulb. It is only when it is a single reflector and more then 2 bulbs using it like in a quad that you need the 12%. :)

I am thinking about buying the two bulb one for my dragonstrand in August

No, a 6% with single reflector will put out about 10% more UVB vs a 12% in a quad with a mono reflector across all bulbs. A mono quad reduces light on the 2 outside bulbs by 40%, and the 2 inside lights by 60%.

I am thinking about buying the two bulb one for my dragonstrand in August

2 bulb with mono reflector reduces like 20%. So a dual would put out 160% of the light of a single. You dont get double the light, just like you dont get 4x the light when going to a quad with a mono reflector.

No, a 6% with single reflector will put out about 10% more UVB vs a 12% in a quad with a mono reflector across all bulbs. A mono quad reduces light on the 2 outside bulbs by 40%, and the 2 inside lights by 60%.
2 bulb with mono reflector reduces like 20%. So a dual would put out 160% of the light of a single. You dont get double the light, just like you dont get 4x the light when going to a quad with a mono reflector.
Ok break it down into simple terms for me. lol So no to this fixture with a 6%? Your going over my head with your intellect on this. lol

Back
Top Bottom