18x18x36 ok for male Veiled?

Tazjunky

So the debate in my head is really getting to me!

My veied is only 11 weeks old, but im already looking to upgrade his enclosure. he is currently in an exo terra 18x18x24. his father is currently in the same sized enclosure at the breeder where i got him, but he comes out of his set-up everyday for exercise etc and mostly only eats and sleeps in their. He is now 6 years old.

Im wondering if my little man would be happy in a 18,18,36" Reptibreeze?

Does anyone else keep their males in a cage this size?

I would like to to get a 60x60x120" cage but dont think im going to have the space in the living room and would mean keeping him in a different room which i dont want to do.

any help greatly appreciated! If anyone has pics of their enclosure id love ot see them!:)

Hi Jannb,
thanks for the link, although only problem is im in the UK so a cage that size is gonna cost $150 or $100 for the 18x18x36"! cages cost a small fortune over here to say the least!

Don't buy a DIY cage.....

See if LLL's price for a cage shipped is really all that unreasonable. $150 for a cage isn't 'THAT' extreme... especially considering the fact that you'll use it for years to come.

an 18x18x36 isn't a good cage for a older cham. Keep him in what you have until he is 7 months old.... then invest in a 24x24x48 (or bigger). 18x18x24 is kinda small for a juvi... but i'd rather have him in a smaller cage young, than small cage as an adult.

Don't buy a DIY cage.....

See if LLL's price for a cage shipped is really all that unreasonable..

Again, im in the UK and shipping/customs fees will make it way too expensive!

when you think that you guys pay around $79.99 for a 24x24x48 and we have to pay $150 for exatly the same thing, it is waaaaaay expensive!:(

hi im in the uk and have a 9 month old male panther chameleon he is in a 24x24x36 i brought it from chameO organisation www.chameO.org i think it was £157 including shipping and taxes (£27.67) but that also includued a water tray so would probably be about £20 maybe a bit more cheaper if you just got the cage and not the water tray to go with it. they are a really good organisation too as the money all goes towards helping chameleons in their care. my little man comes out quite regularly though for free range time but is happy and healthy and not showing any signs of stress. obviously he is still growing depending on how big he gets if he out grows this cage we will upgrade his cage for the 24x24x48.

hi im in the uk and have a 9 month old male panther chameleon he is in a 24x24x36 i brought it from chameO organisation www.chameO.org i think it was £157 including shipping and taxes (£27.67)

OMG - you can get that cage for £79.99 over here. granted you dont get the tray but you could make that for £20 i reckon.I looked at the Chameo site, and have to say I like the fact it goes to a good cause, but £157 for a 24x24x36 is rediculous! you can get a 24x24x48" for £95 with free P&P on ebay.

I really do want to get the larger sized cage, but its a case of it being too big to fit in my front room. I was going to get the 18x18x36" and let him have some free reign during the day for exercise etc. its so frustrating as like i said in my first post, his dad is kept in a 18x18x24" exo terra and has been kept in it all his life and he is 6yrs old now and happy and healthy. I agree that is too small as it doesnt have enough height IMO which is why I was thinking of the 36" height. its a shame you cant get a 18x18x48"!!! then I wouldnt really have that much of an issue!!:)

ooops!
just realised you cant get that size, it was the 18x18x36" I was looking at not the 24x24x36". apologies!
but still you paid way too much IMO!x

i looked on ebay and couldnt find anything only exo terra's or reptibreeze which are different to the aluminum screen enclosures you get from america, terry thatcher in this country does the similar equivalent and they are alot more expensive with the 24x24x48 being £170 without a water tray or postage. its too late now anyway i have the cage but i honestly think a chameleon isnt exactly a cheap pet anyway if you think about all their requirements and i was more concerned about providing this than how much it was going to cost as i knew before hand it wasnt going to be cheap although if you can save money its a bonus.

But good luck hope you find the cage you are looking for

indeed the Terry Thatcher cages are well over priced!
Do you really think that the reptibreeze cages are that different from the ones in America or the one you have?

I think im going to just order the 24x24x48" inch reptibreeze, hopefully my other half wont kill me for ordering such a mammoth cage!

i dont think there that different but i was just put off because i was told they have a tendancy to rust. where people from the us said they had not had any problems with rust. but this may not be the case with all reptibreeze cages but a few people had this problem. but at the end of the day its what ever is best for you and your chameleon as every ones situation environment space etc is different. i just particularly liked the screen enclosures from america and was ideal for what we needed.

You will have to let me know what its like if you get one as if we decide to upgrade our little mans cage it would be interesting to see what you think of it.

Well I guess we will soon find out! Just put an order in for it so it will be here tomorrow! think im gonna have to have it all set-up ready for when my other half gets back from uni so i dont have to send it all back! will get some pics etc and get them posted. if there is any rust issues then Zoo Med will be getting a very harsh email from me after spending £100 on it!

They rust super easily! Cancel it if you can! Some people can only use them for a few months before they rust so bad that the screen falls apart! I would rather pay extra for a good quality one. Plus you don't need it right now, or even for several months.

you could always build a cage, then it's exactly what you need for your chameleon and your space and it would be cheaper

Right now my male is in a 16x16x30 getting ready to move into the 24x24x48. He is only 4 months old 10 inches long. Already outgrown the smaller enclosure. I think he just wants more room to move around.

Back
Top Bottom