1000 dubias!!!!

The stroller net is a good idea never would of thought of that. I’ve never had an escapee yet but I don’t want to jinx it haha.
I’m more worried about the other bugs that like in my house getting in lol. I felt bad while doing the transfer I found a half eaten male....so sad I’m hopping with the bigger space it doesn’t happen again

I’m more worried about the other bugs that like in my house getting in lol. I felt bad while doing the transfer I found a half eaten male....so sad I’m hopping with the bigger space it doesn’t happen again
When I first started my colony I had one to many males to females. This causes fighting between the males and they will eat each other so that could be why you found one like that. You want to try to keep a ratio of 1 male to every 3-5 females. I fed my extra males off to my neighbors chickens to keep it balanced haha. So try to feed off your males the most too keep the colony a good ratio. The nymphs are tricky to sex but if you look closely there’s a difference near the but end of each one.
9609B121-8E77-4C84-8991-55C349A8760B.jpeg

When I first started my colony I had one to many males to females. This causes fighting between the males and they will eat each other so that could be why you found one like that. You want to try to keep a ratio of 1 male to every 3-5 females. I fed my extra males off to my neighbors chickens to keep it balanced haha. So try to feed off your males the most too keep the colony a good ratio. The nymphs are tricky to sex but if you look closely there’s a difference near the but end of each one. View attachment 237151
Ok is it just me or are their butts the same?

Nope that’s why it’s so tricky to sex them as nymphs you really have to know what to look for. There is an extra line on the males abdomen near the butt. The females do not have this extra line. I put an arrow on Where the difference is.View attachment 237163
Wow like I’m mind blown!!! Your amazing!!!!! But when they are adults the males have wings right?

Wow like I’m mind blown!!! Your amazing!!!!! But when they are adults the males have wings right?
Yep the adults are pretty easy to tell between the two. They look completely different from one another. Males have full wings. The females have stubby little wings and are dark and shiny looking. The nymphs on the other hand all look the same so you have to sex them by looking for the line at the butt :ROFLMAO:

Adult Male
35327BC4-F5C2-43CA-B11C-B07D1CD32063.png

Adult Female
A5EE069E-1BCE-4BE9-A4B9-8FA296959D35.png

Yep the adults are pretty easy to tell between the two. They look completely different from one another. Males have full wings. The females have stubby little wings and are dark and shiny looking. The nymphs on the other hand all look the same so you have to sex them by looking for the line at the butt :ROFLMAO:

Adult MaleView attachment 237165

Adult FemaleView attachment 237166
Great you to looking at butts wow idk if I can talk to y’all anymore lol

Adult MaleView attachment 237165

Adult FemaleView attachment 237166
Ahhhh those pictures lol not again!!!!!! :hilarious:

Ya I learnt to sex them with this method because I sell dubia sometimes. I don't sell female nymphs.
Yep the females are the ones you want to keep they are what keep your colony breeding. Feed the males off to your reptiles or sell them like you said

Yep the females are the ones you want to keep they are what keep your colony breeding. Feed the males off to your reptiles or sell them like you said

Agreed, a fellow yinzer that knows his bugs, that's what's up.

I often wonder, I bet the adult females offer a little extra nutrition. especially when they're carrying that ootheca inside of them, plus they're bigger and meatier.

Agreed, a fellow yinzer that knows his bugs, that's what's up.

I often wonder, I bet the adult females offer a little extra nutrition. especially when they're carrying that ootheca inside of them, plus they're bigger and meatier.
Haha Im no where near an expert on bugs just learning as i go along and Trying to learn something new everyday in this hobby.

Good point on adult females possibly having a little more nutrition in them. It makes sense since they have more meat on them compared to the males which are more slender and they have those big wings. Most people probably feed their chameleons nymphs though unless you have a bigger species.

I have actually read that the smaller and younger the Dubia roach the more nutrition they contain ounce for ounce because their shell is thinner and isn’t as large taking up the space where the meat would be otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom