1000 dubias!!!!

Yep the females are the ones you want to keep they are what keep your colony breeding. Feed the males off to your reptiles or sell them like you said
So you're wanting me to spend even MORE time digging though my colony, not just to find the right size but also to find all the boys??? Every time I hear something new about du ua colonies it makes me hate mine more and more :LOL: this would also explain, however, why it seems I have only 1 mature Male in my colony, oops?

So you're wanting me to spend even MORE time digging though my colony, not just to find the right size but also to find all the boys??? Every time I hear something new about du ua colonies it makes me hate mine more and more :LOL: this would also explain, however, why it seems I have only 1 mature Male in my colony, oops?
Yep get in there and start checking out those Dubia butts! Haha :ROFLMAO: you can feed off both but really you want to feed off the males the most because if the ratio becomes to many males to females they wont breed as well and the males will start eating each other for breeding rights pretty much.

Yep get in there and start checking out those Dubia butts! Haha :ROFLMAO: you can feed off both but really you want to feed off the males the most because if the ratio becomes to many males to females they wont breed as well and the males will start eating each other for breeding rights pretty much.
Well right now my single Male has free range of all the ladies. Lucky dude.

I count the adults once every two months or so. Since I always have many males to take out of the colony to sell or feed my other pets. I have a really weird way of choosing the "survivors" and the "discarded".

You know some male adults have this orange-brown pattern on the top of their body? Some of them has a more distinguished pattern, some has a faint pattern and the others have no such pattern at all. I keep those with bold and highly visible pattern. Maybe it's just me lol.

Agreed, a fellow yinzer that knows his bugs, that's what's up.

I often wonder, I bet the adult females offer a little extra nutrition. especially when they're carrying that ootheca inside of them, plus they're bigger and meatier.
You should eat nothing but female dubias for a few months and tell us if you feel healthier

Last edited:
Haha Im no where near an expert on bugs just learning as i go along and Trying to learn something new everyday in this hobby.

Good point on adult females possibly having a little more nutrition in them. It makes sense since they have more meat on them compared to the males which are more slender and they have those big wings. Most people probably feed their chameleons nymphs though unless you have a bigger species.

I have actually read that the smaller and younger the Dubia roach the more nutrition they contain ounce for ounce because their shell is thinner and isn’t as large taking up the space where the meat would be otherwise.

I feed off a lot of adults to my parsonii(who's still under 300g I believe) even discoid males and orangehead females. You can see them chewing up the ootheca from the female roaches, which probably contains a lot of extra nutrients that wouldn't be found in the males. I agree on the nymphs, my guy loves the adult Male dubia, but if you look at them vs a large nymph even, the nymph has a softer shell, but is more meaty. The adult females on the other hand are usually very plump. One thing to consider with adults vs nymphs, while the nymphs might have a higher meat to shell ratio, the adults/older nymphs should have absorbed more nutrients over time and have a higher vitamin content assuming they were raised on good food. Although with roaches this could pose a problem because they have the tendency to convert extra protein into uric acid and store it. So adults could store a lot up if given too much protein. It's important to limit protein for roaches in order to avoid gout.

I feed off a lot of adults to my parsonii(who's still under 300g I believe) even discoid males and orangehead females. You can see them chewing up the ootheca from the female roaches, which probably contains a lot of extra nutrients that wouldn't be found in the males. I agree on the nymphs, my guy loves the adult Male dubia, but if you look at them vs a large nymph even, the nymph has a softer shell, but is more meaty. The adult females on the other hand are usually very plump. One thing to consider with adults vs nymphs, while the nymphs might have a higher meat to shell ratio, the adults/older nymphs should have absorbed more nutrients over time and have a higher vitamin content assuming they were raised on good food. Although with roaches this could pose a problem because they have the tendency to convert extra protein into uric acid and store it. So adults could store a lot up if given too much protein. It's important to limit protein for roaches in order to avoid gout.
Someone is a nerd :geek:

Your parson is how old again 2? That giant is so beautiful
Also, it's good to introduce new roaches maybe once a year to keep the genetic diversity strong. And when you clean the tub, don't throw away all the poop. Baby dubia eat the poop.
Thanks for telling me this because that stupid person I bought from told me never to add new members to the colony because they will attack the new additions, it didn’t sound right but I didnt mind what he said to much after he asked if dubias will invade his home :rolleyes: Stupid human

Thanks for telling me this because that stupid person I bought from told me never to add new members to the colony because they will attack the new additions, it didn’t sound right but I didnt mind what he said to much after he asked if dubias will invade his home :rolleyes: Stupid human

Roaches don't establish territory so they do not attack new roaches.

Yup 2. Thank you, I need to weigh him since hes been outside in his huge enclosure. Eating a ton of large roaches and wild bugs.

Back
Top Bottom