100% safe plants for yemen?

ViolentJ

I need some help as I'm getting a little frustrated.

I've looked up the common plants via the database on this site and so far have a grand list of 3 plants that I can use without worrying about how much might get eaten:

Dracaena fragrans
Dracaena deremensis
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

I've looked at lists on other sites but they don't indicate whether they're safe to be eaten.

Are there any more 100% safe plants? I was hoping to get something with big leaves like a rubber plant (I know I can't use a rubber plant)

Ficus is VERY popular... But the sap of a ficus (present on fresh breaks or freshly trimmed stems) will bother a chams skin.... yet it is highly recommended

I think there is a give and take going on with a lot of plants.

I like to use Pothos plants. They provide great vine high ways for your cham. My two male veiled Jake and Fred only one one pothos in thier cage and along with a couple of fake vines and they fill the cage well. oh and its ok for them to eat the plant.

Fred shot at a Hornworn that had glued itself (not literaly...) to the pothos leaf..... Fred walked over to the bug since his tongue was sucked onto the bug... he ate the entire leaf and hornworm at once....... HUGE leaf and he gobbled it up. I didn't need to feed him for a couple of days LOL:D Hes still alive.... so You can add pothos to your list of safe plants.

They are safe because they are not toxic but I'd never used dracaenas- I don't think they are good choice for climbing.
On the other hand hibiscus is great for climbing- it has many branches.
Other good plants are f.e. ficus benjamin, lucky bamboo (it is dracaena but the top is not so rich in leaves so it can be climbed easily) or zamioculcas.

Ok just been shopping at our local garden centre which has a reptile shop within it and the Chameleon guy said these would be ok:

Monstera
Dracena (not sure which species exactly)
Epipremnum aureum

Now I'd not come across Monstera before so I've just done a forum search and it seems it's fairly common and I thought ok it's fine but then I found a post with a huge list of un-safe plants that included Monstera.

So is Monstera safe or not?

I would not use the monstera.
Seriously, Pothos will be the best thing you buy.
They are a bit high in oxylates, but that doesn't necessarily make them toxic to chameleons (certainly not veileds).
Ficus does have the sap issue, but this doesn't seem to bother veileds either.
Each of my veiled enclosures currently house a pothos (hanging), schefflera (sp?), hibiscus, bougainvillea, and a snake plant.

-Brad

Man, I got hyacinth mixed up with hibiscus. I saw a hyacinth at the local grocer for dirt cheap and smelled so good, so I grabbed it and come home to check my list and DOH!

So many conflicting opinions on some plants. I've been googling like a mad man and some people say Monstera is perfectly fine (I'm looking right now at a Chemeleon web sites safe plant list and it's on there) and others say to avoid it but I can't find what the reason is for this.

All parts (but the fruit) of this plant are considered toxic due to high oxcylates.
This doesn't always mean that a plant would pose a danger to a chameleon, however, having no personal experience using the plant in question, my personal recommendation must be not to use it.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom