Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Opinions?

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have any personal opinions on these bulbs and the fixture? The light output seems nice, quite similar to the arcadia bulbs. I want to go Arcadia eventually, but the lack of availability in Canada limits me (shipping through lightyourreptiles is quite expensive). So I figured I would get the Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO hood from my work which includes a 5.0 bulb, and then when that expires I would pay the extra moolah for the arcadia bulbs.
Thanks for any input you may be able to provide,
Trav

The Reptisun bulbs are one of the best next to the Arcadia. However, depending on the size of your cage, the 5.0 may not do as well. the 10.0 is more closely compared to the Arcadia 6%. I use the 10.0 on all of my cages simply because I can get them for less than the Arcadias.

I would go for the 10.0's as well. Especially if you have a 36 inch or 4ft cage. I get really good readings with my solarmeter with 10.0's. I do use t8's tho. I am getting a 10.0 T5 out tomorrow just to do some reading vs a T8. I am sure it will be higher just want to see if it would actually be worth upgrading ALL the lights on 10 cages...

The Zoo Med T5 reptisun's UVB is supposed to be almost double that of the T8's output, so that is why I was thinking of going 5.0. I actually use 10.0 T8's on two of my enclosures, sun ray's on the other two.
Thank you both for your input.

The Zoo Med T5 reptisun's UVB is supposed to be almost double that of the T8's output, so that is why I was thinking of going 5.0. I actually use 10.0 T8's on two of my enclosures, sun ray's on the other two.
Thank you both for your input.

If you get a T5 HO, get a 5.0/6%. Do not run a 10.0/12% with out a meter.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/def...ally-need-know-80869/index11.html#post1038589

Here is me with a 6% and a 12% arcaida, the 5.0/10.0 should be about the same.

bare in mind a panther needs about 30-35 µW/cm² peak, as in once the tube get below 30µW/cm² at his natural basking spot its time to change it.

How much would it cost to ship Arcadia T5 unit from uk to Canada, I use this and its amazing.
Where do you get yours in the UK? I know that surprisingly UK shipping to Canada is generally cheaper then getting things from the USA.

If you get a T5 HO, get a 5.0/6%. Do not run a 10.0/12% with out a meter.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/def...ally-need-know-80869/index11.html#post1038589

Here is me with a 6% and a 12% arcaida, the 5.0/10.0 should be about the same.
Thus why I was leaning towards the 5.0, thanks for clearing that up :)

There are plenty of reptile centres in southampton or anywhere in the uk really that supply the Arcadia units, I can look into it for you if you like maybe get you some prices.

There are plenty of reptile centres in southampton or anywhere in the uk really that supply the Arcadia units, I can look into it for you if you like maybe get you some prices.
I can just do some online research for UK distributors. UK light wattages are different from North America, so I'd have to find a place that sells both.
Thank you anyways though Dave!

Where do you get yours in the UK? I know that surprisingly UK shipping to Canada is generally cheaper then getting things from the USA.

Thus why I was leaning towards the 5.0, thanks for clearing that up :)

I have run tens for years with no problems. I have 9 chams!!! You DONT NEED a meter for 10.0s! :rolleyes:

I have run tens for years with no problems. I have 9 chams!!! You DONT NEED a meter for 10.0s! :rolleyes:

you have not been running 10.0 T5 HO for a decade. The OP is asking about the new 10.0 HO's, which are about 3x-4x more powerful than a T8 10.0 :)

I think he was trying to say that it would be ideal to use a meter for these T5 10.0's to monitor the UVB output. If these T5's are twice as powerful as T8's, it would be wise to do so considering too much UVB can cause scale burn.

EDIT** Night anole answered at same time =P

Believe what you want but I am holding a UVB meter under a 2 month old T5 HO 48" retpisun bulb that was used for a few days and I will still tell you the same thing. It is not going to be 3 to 4X more powerful. T5 are not that much more beneficial than the T8's. Believe the HYPE!!! :rolleyes:

NEVER SAID FOR A DECADE!!! LOL

Believe what you want but I am holding a UVB meter under a 2 month old T5 HO 48" retpisun bulb that was used for a few days and I will still tell you the same thing. It is not going to be 3 to 4X more powerful. T5 are not that much more beneficial than the T8's. Believe the HYPE!!! :rolleyes:

NEVER SAID FOR A DECADE!!! LOL

Yea sorry i miss read the "tens for years".

Now with my meter, i did get 4x more output at 24" with an arcadia 12% T5 HO with reflector vs T8 10.0 with no reflector.

I dont see how you cant. Ignoring phosphors, a T5 vs T8 will net 25% more light based on the efficiency bump going to a smaller tube. Now bump that up again with a T5 HO drawing double the power of a T8. Even without a reflector, you should be getting minimum double the output based on just the wattage alone.

I even showed my 1 arcadia 12%@12" putting out 3.5UVI vs a (lets assume no reflector) reptisun 10.0 putting out .7UVI at the same distance.

I can only tell you what I have experienced. Many other people who have tested on here have come up with similar results. There is a lot of information out there on the the 2 different sizes T5 and T8. The T5 that I have is what I bought thinking it was going to replace all of my T8's, it just turned out it was not all that more beneficial.

Balizar do you think you may have gotten a faulty bulb? Because I have heard nothing but positive reviews from these T5 bulbs, all stating that the UVB output has at least doubled, if not more.
Just a thought, not trying to start any sort of controversy!

I highly doubt it considering I have 2/ 5.0 bulbs but maybe both are bad... You should just do research for your own off google. A lot of people dont find the benefit that you 2 have found. Or the increased intensity of the numbers that you all have come up with. But hey every cage is different and this topis is covered as bout as much as Glass vs. Screen. It's just one of those things. I got curious so I bought 2 meters to find lights I was happy with, WITHOUT jumping in to the expensive hypes of fixtures and lights! You'll find something that works great with your cages, your on the right track.

Edit: This topic is so old I don't think it is a controversy anymore. Use what gives your chams the best results doesn't matter what other people use as long as their cham is healthy!

I highly doubt it considering I have 2/ 5.0 bulbs but maybe both are bad... You should just do research for your own off google. A lot of people dont find the benefit that you 2 have found. Or the increased intensity of the numbers that you all have come up with. But hey every cage is different and this topis is covered as bout as much as Glass vs. Screen. It's just one of those things. I got curious so I bought 2 meters to find lights I was happy with, WITHOUT jumping in to the expensive hypes of fixtures and lights! You'll find something that works great with your cages, your on the right track.

Edit: This topic is so old I don't think it is a controversy anymore. Use what gives your chams the best results doesn't matter what other people use as long as their cham is healthy!

LOL or just be like Mike Fisher and just have 10's of cages with just standard bulbs and use 100% d3 supplementation. Still all his chams look great and he is a very experienced breeder.

LOL or just be like Mike Fisher and just have 10's of cages with just standard bulbs and use 100% d3 supplementation. Still all his chams look great and he is a very experienced breeder.

That is another thing I can show you! You would be very surprised at some of the lights that I never expected to give off UVB but do and in good amount. And these are just lights I got for my plants. But I was messing around with the meters I just recently got and it made me wonder if were not all buying in to hype!!! It seemed that the warm color lights give off UVB not the cool whites and not the 6500k just the warm lights.

Back
Top Bottom