zilla slimline tropical fixture

vgaines

I was told that this light has been associated with eye problems in chams. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can research and see if I need to return the fixture? I picked it up Saturday and if need be I will return it. I picked it up for our Penelope. ( Baby female veiled... not sure of age.. 2-3 inches from snout to vent, housed in a Exo Terra 12x12x16 glass terrarium. Basking temp is aprox 80* and humidity ranges from 20-70%. She is very active and drinks every time she is misted and she is eating normally. I did a search on this forum but there were so may old posts that popped up I was hoping someone could tell me where to look so I could read up on it.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
:) Virginia

My breeder said they were junk. I had it for some time unused and lost the receipt so it's been in the closet ever since. I didn't ask questions...figure he's got 40 years experience and I went out and purchased what he recommended. I would say return it, second guessing would be too stressful and If something happens to your baby you'll have this on the back of your mind as a possible cause.

PS...the reptisun won't work in this fixture...I tried.

Seems like most of the problems were posted in 2010-2011. I Googled and could not find anything about current problems with the light or if the old problem had been fixed. I think I will play it safe and take it back. I have a lot of extra clamp lamp fixtures is it a bad idea to get a CFL UVB bulb? The slimline fixture and bulb was only $36 and I know I cant get a fixture and linear UVB bulb for that price.

Thanks Craig94089 and jannb for your input. I do not want to deal with something happening to my new baby so I think it best if I return the light.

Virginia

PS. I get paid on Thursday or Friday and can buy a linear bulb and fixture then. Should I not use a light for a few days or use it and place another screen under it to block some of the UVB? Penelope is doing great right now and I am scared I am causing her harm.:(

Last edited:
Hi, i personally run zilla's linear tubes with no problems. Every manufacture can have a defective bulb straight from the factory. You are correct though, the bulbs that were causing harm were the ones as you have dated.

I would not hesitate to use it. "IF" any issues arise from any bulb...Key is to catch it early on. The eyes will close and will become puffy. Remove the light and the irritation will subside.

Back
Top Bottom