Zero water filter... Need feedback from smart people :)

Yeah, I know about areas having different water supplies, my city has two that I know of and the one I'm on is much better than the one people in the south are using. I still need to get RO water but live in an old house so installing one isn't easy and the amount I use would mean two daily trips to refill. I'm hoping going bioactive will make buying RO water feasible for me.

After some further digging (including trying to run down an alleged ZeroWater scam) I'm inclined to agree that if ZeroWater truly does what it claims, it should be OK for use in a MK mister, depending on the starting level of TDS, and provided the system is... (How did Data phrase it...?) "operating within normal parameters." :rolleyes:

There are still some things that concern me: the complete omission of calcium on the performance results, the TDS Comparison that says 99% of TDS removed = 000 (Shouldn't 000 equate to more like 99.99%?), all the reviews & tests I found used ZeroWater's own meter to test samples (instead of independent 3rd party meters), and claims that ZeroWater has a fishy smell (If everything is removed, why is there something left to give it a fishy smell, and why doesn't that chemical register on the meter?)

Chalk all that up to my innate skepticism. 🤷‍♂️

Actually, after looking up some of the contaminants in the water around Flagstaff (been there— nice town), I'm glad Beman is using something to filter drinking water. There are at least 8 different water utilities in the Flagstaff area, so to get a better handle (If she so desires), go to https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/ and input her zipcode, and then select her specific water provider (some of which may be well water districts).

Ultimately, time will tell. I hope it works out—those filters are pricey. Let's see... @ $50 for 4 replacement filters= $12.50 ea., and should filter... (hard to estimate local pre-filtered TDS...) ~25 gal.(?) So roughly $.50 per gallon. Really depends on the TDS of the local water.
Arizona water, in general, is pretty terrible. I am not sure about the water in Flagstaff, but in the Phoenix area and southern Arizona, it is not even advised to drink it. I often see my water have 700+ TDS out of the tap (south of Phoenix), which is why I have an dedicated RO system under the kitchen sink that also feeds the refrigerator.

@Beman, I would still highly recommend getting an inexpensive RO system as soon as it is feasible. I am fairly skeptical of the claims of the Zerowater pitcher. It seems highly unlikely that the water can get as pure as it claims with just a trickle style filter. The claims are more in line with distilled or RODI water.

Thank you, also @Beman I got a laugh about the adapting to elevation change lol I grew up and live at around 3,500 feet, nothing compared to 7,000 but athletes who live at sea level still come to train at the Olympic facilities in my city because of the elevation.

Give it about a month and you'll be doing better.

Arizona water, in general, is pretty terrible. I am not sure about the water in Flagstaff, but in the Phoenix area and southern Arizona, it is not even advised to drink it. I often see my water have 700+ TDS out of the tap (south of Phoenix), which is why I have an dedicated RO system under the kitchen sink that also feeds the refrigerator.
Then you might want to bookmark this site: EWG's Tap Water Database (Environmental Working Group) or it's homepage, which has other useful information.
https://www.ewg.org/

Most of the contamination in Flagstaff's groundwater is likely due to the city's mining history—~2400 mines in the vicinity. Flagstaff, Arizona Mining Claims And Mines

Thank you, also @Beman I got a laugh about the adapting to elevation change lol I grew up and live at around 3,500 feet, nothing compared to 7,000 but athletes who live at sea level still come to train at the Olympic facilities in my city because of the elevation.

Give it about a month and you'll be doing better.
Thanks I grew up in AZ but at 4500 feet. Then we went to Cali on the coast 3 years ago. I feel like I am 90 years old every time I have to go upstairs. lol I did not expect to have such a hard time acclimating since I have moved away and back home to 4500 ft multiple times. But dangggg 7000 ft is no joke lol

@Beman, I would still highly recommend getting an inexpensive RO system as soon as it is feasible. I am fairly skeptical of the claims of the Zerowater pitcher. It seems highly unlikely that the water can get as pure as it claims with just a trickle style filter. The claims are more in line with distilled or RODI water.
Thanks.. A friend actually just contacted me offering to gift me with hers so I think I am going to take her up on it since I do have a faucet outside I can hook it up to that never gets direct sun.

Hey everyone. So I no longer have access to RO water. I was going to buy an RO filter after we moved but the moved ended up a bit more expensive than originally planned. I do not really want to have to buy distilled at a $1 a gallon. So I bought this water filter system. https://zerowater.com/collections/w...ensers/products/30-cup-water-filter-dispenser

I do not know enough about water. I know we are trying to take out the calcium and other things that can mess up our Mistkings and foggers. I am hoping this will do the trick.

Can you let me know if you think it will work? I suppose if it does not then I will just be getting new nozzles when they fail and a new fogger. But I am hoping this might do what I need.
I have that filter @Beman. Great water but takes FOREVER to get maybe a half gallon.

in winter I have been going yo the grocery store that has an RO water refill outside. 35cents per gallon, a little cheaper id you buy 5 gallons (I fill 25 gallons 😓). Still means you have to physically go out for water, though.

So the reports go into concentrations of specific minerals, elements and chemicals. Does translate to TDS but not really easily. Finding water quality stuff tends to be all over the map I find.

I really have to get a way to get RO water when I go bioactive.

There's no evidence that plain water will hurt your chameleon. If you want to be safe, let the water sit for a day or two.

There's no evidence that plain water will hurt your chameleon. If you want to be safe, let the water sit for a day or two.
The issue here is not whether unfiltered (plain) water is ok for the cham or not. The issue is that unfiltered water (and a lot of filtered water) has a lot of minerals and stuff in it that will quickly clog the misting nozzles. Using RO or distilled water, will eliminate the need to regularly replace misting nozzles due to clogging.

I have a lot of personal experience with Zero Water filters since I have used them for a few years. I can tell you that when I put a single gallon of tap water in my humidifier, the heating element quickly gets caked in hard white minerals, which I guess is calcium. I was using vinegar to get all the calcium off the element, since the acidity of vinegar breaks down calcium with ease.

When I started to put zero water in the humidifier I barely got any minerals on that heating element, even after putting several gallons through. I never put tap water in my humidifier anymore.

I have owned several coral reef fish tanks, from 20 gallon rimless cube to a 180 gallon which was almost self sustaining. Those kinds of tanks require very pure water or corals can die and algae will bloom. Also equipment frequently gets coated in calcium and that’s where I learned the vinegar trick. I can say using Zero water in my 20 gallon rimless has been a pleasure. And the one gallon pitcher is so easy to fill. I don’t like the 2.5 gallon Zero Water canister since it seems to clog a lot. I think the filter itself is so dense it can only handle half a gallon at any one time.

The issue is that unfiltered water (and a lot of filtered water) has a lot of minerals and stuff in it that will quickly clog the misting nozzles.
I'm not concerned as much about nozzles (~$12 ea) that can be cleaned as I am about having to replace a pump ($90-$135).

When I started to put zero water in the humidifier I barely got any minerals on that heating element, even after putting several gallons through.
Can you define "barely"? I'm not disputing/doubting; I'm trying to get a handle on real world vs. marketing claims.

The issue here is not whether unfiltered (plain) water is ok for the cham or not. The issue is that unfiltered water (and a lot of filtered water) has a lot of minerals and stuff in it that will quickly clog the misting nozzles. Using RO or distilled water, will eliminate the need to regularly replace misting nozzles due to clogging.
Not to mention that regular water leaves spots all over the cage and plants (and is bad for them over time as well)

I'm not concerned as much about nozzles (~$12 ea) that can be cleaned as I am about having to replace a pump ($90-$135).

Can you define "barely"? I'm not disputing/doubting; I'm trying to get a handle on real world vs. marketing claims.
With every Zero Water container you get this TDS (total dissolved solids) meter which usually measures around 250 PPM (parts per million) when I measure my tap water and it drops to 000 after that tap water is filtered, hence the name. This is supposed to remove dissolved solids including lead, chlorine, calcium, etc. When I say my tap water leaves white chalky material caked on the heating element I mean it! It’s caked on and I can chip away at it with a screw driver or just fill the basin with vinegar to dissolve it slowly and wipe it away. It’s really gross looking and makes me wonder what the heck is in my tap water. When I use Zero water in that same humidifier, even after many gallons, there is barely a thin membrane of chalk which isn’t even enough to justify cleaning. I would send before and after photos but I’m not cleaning that thing again!

Back
Top Bottom