Zelda is ALMOST Back to Herself :-)

Breezy9

Zelda is as strong as she was before she was sick. Only thing is she's still not eating on her own (I think?). She looks nice and pudgy. Not weak or skinny like she was when she was sick. Happy, normal colors. I am no longer giving her droplets from the spray bottle because she is drinking like a champ. Urates/poops look normal just not as much poop as I would like. I popped her a cricket today and she ate it like she was starving. She looks like she's hunting and following crix with her eyes but I haven't seen her eat and I've been watching closely (and from afar, too).

Here we are hanging out today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369334854.131890.jpg

I am so glad she is feeling better. I have been keeping an eye on her progress. I hope she starts eating for herself in a few days. At least she is letting you feed her 1 or 2 crickets.

Jannb~ Any suggestions on what to do about Zelda not eating on her own? She was a monstrous eater before she was sick. I have been popping crickets while syringe feeding water droplets (as well as antibiotics every 48 hours, as you know) I was only able to pop 1 cricket today and she no longer needs to be water fed. She looks like she wants to eat, she hunts, and opens her mouth a tiny bit but never strikes. She definitely does NOT want to be "force fed" anymore. Should I just leave her be for a couple days? How long do I wait before I start popping crix again? She seems pretty pudgy again to me...I'll post a pic, you'll see what I mean.

Zelda 5-23-13.jpg

Jannb~ Any suggestions on what to do about Zelda not eating on her own? She was a monstrous eater before she was sick. I have been popping crickets while syringe feeding water droplets (as well as antibiotics every 48 hours, as you know) I was only able to pop 1 cricket today and she no longer needs to be water fed. She looks like she wants to eat, she hunts, and opens her mouth a tiny bit but never strikes. She definitely does NOT want to be "force fed" anymore. Should I just leave her be for a couple days? How long do I wait before I start popping crix again? She seems pretty pudgy again to me...I'll post a pic, you'll see what I mean.

View attachment 79623

I would try a different feeder besides crickets and see if she will go for it. They usually love worms and usually go for the green hornworms. You could also try silkworms or superworms. Enything to get her to eat.

How many crickets have you been feeding her a day?

View attachment 79623

I have a melleri that has been battling an RI. I've gotten him to take a few crickets, also have syringe fed him some reptiboost and then got him to take a few hornworms. He has days when he seems better then days where he gets bad again. He also does not want to be force fed so I give him a couple days to see if he'll take food. Jann is right to try different things - mine seems to be more interested when I switch feeders.

I've tried superworms too. She seems interested but them she closes her eye(s). She was eating about 8-12 crix a day-free range before she was sick. Now I offer her 5 or 6 out of the dusting cup. She usually stares at them intently but never gets to the head tilt and the shoot of the tongue. lol. There are always free range crickets at all times in the cage. I got smaller ones than she's used to so she could start off slow, too. Maybe tomorrow...If not, I have no problem popping them until she does. Unless that would be bad? Would she then not ever hunt for herself again if I "force" feed for too long?

I have a melleri that has been battling an RI. I've gotten him to take a few crickets, also have syringe fed him some reptiboost and then got him to take a few hornworms. He has days when he seems better then days where he gets bad again. He also does not want to be force fed so I give him a couple days to see if he'll take food. Jann is right to try different things - mine seems to be more interested when I switch feeders.

That's pretty much what Zelda is just getting over. An RI. This is her 6th straight day of improvement (with no downhill then uphill then downhill then uphill-like she had been doing for a couple of weeks). I've tried superworms and I'll have to check what else the stores near me carry. I know she REALLY likes the waxworms but I heard they are very high in fat and are a little hard for them to digest. Maybe that would be okay since she was sick and got so skinny?

That's pretty much what Zelda is just getting over. An RI. This is her 6th straight day of improvement (with no downhill then uphill then downhill then uphill-like she had been doing for a couple of weeks). I've tried superworms and I'll have to check what else the stores near me carry. I know she REALLY likes the waxworms but I heard they are very high in fat and are a little hard for them to digest. Maybe that would be okay since she was sick and got so skinny?

I would give her anything she will accept. If my melleri would eat taco bell I'd give it to him! Once she is fully healed you can work on getting her back to a healthier diet. I did notice that my guy tried to shoot for a horn worm but had some difficulty with his tongue - probably because he hasn't used it in a couple weeks. I just put the food in his mouth and leave some in a cup in case he wants to try on his own. We are going back to the vet to see if we can try another antibiotic but I want to keep him eating in the meantime.

Tried waxworms today. Zelda's favorite. She was so interested, puffed up, opened her mouth a little but never shot the tongue out. I was able to pop 4 into her though and she chomped them right down. Same behavior with the crickets. Hunts, eyes one, lines up, puffs, opens mouth, swallows a bunch of times. Maybe she just needs a few more days? I gave her 5th dose of antibiotics today. It's her 10th day of them so she's done today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369448351.698360.jpg

Zelda still isn't eating on her own. I offered a couple of crix, superworms and waxworms in a cup and she seems so interested but no tongue! I did pop 4 small waxworms yesterday afternoon so maybe she's full. She is still looking good so I'm pretty sure the RI is cleared up now. Now to just get her to eat on her own so I can get her MBD controlled!

Oh, also, her tongue works when she drinks which totally on her own now. Why won't she shoot? She was such an awesome hunter and a PIG before she was sick. :-(

Are you giving her any supplements with vit. A in it? Try some Reptivite without D3 if you already have d3. I think it's just going to take some time but she has already come a long way.

Whoops. I just got hornworms and Butterworms. I also have been offering waxworms and superworms. I know those are only to be used as a treat but I will be happy if she eats anything on her own at this point!

Here is a pic of the supplements I'm giving.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369522917.904045.jpg

I have been doing the Herptivite Multivitamin&straight calcium one week then Phosphorus-free calcium with D3&straight calcium the next.

Yes, I had them with my old male veiled. He'd eat them like a monster so I wouldn't need to keep them very long. Lol. Good to know since Zelda is still a baby-ish.

Back
Top Bottom