Young Veiled Going Downhill

Dang--trying to use memory and things pop up slow for me these days..

I have read on here where some meds will cause a 3 to 5 day issue with normal behavior.. So, there are quite a few things going on but glad your on top of it.. Best for her!

May I ask what the temps are in the top of the cage where she is at? Darker usually means trying to warm up. But it can also be severe stress response.
Top of the cage today is about 78. But again, it depends on cloud cover, etc. She has been dark for two days regardless of whether or not she's basking or sleeping.

Top of the cage today is about 78. But again, it depends on cloud cover, etc. She has been dark for two days regardless of whether or not she's basking or sleeping.
Ok so dark since you took her to the vet? Is she getting into the sun at all or staying up where it is shady under the tarp?

Ok so dark since you took her to the vet? Is she getting into the sun at all or staying up where it is shady under the tarp?
Yes, dark since the vet visit. She gets into the sun and still thermoregulates to some degree, just a little more listlessly than before.

Update.....There was a cancellation at Dr. Greek's office for this afternoon. I will be taking her in for a look at 4pm.
See if you can get the vet you went to originally to send the records of the blood test and the info for what dewormer and vitamin shot they gave her.

Yes, dark since the vet visit. She gets into the sun and still thermoregulates to some degree, just a little more listlessly than before.
A lot of keepers keep their chams outside during the good months. Nothing wrong with this. Granted it does expose them to other things that are outside our control. Certain bugs etc. But something is off if she was closing her eyes during the day.

See if you can get the vet you went to originally to send the records of the blood test and the info for what dewormer and vitamin shot they gave her.
I did request the blood work results but have not received them yet. The dewormer was Panacur/Flagyl. The vitamin shot was A/D & E, which is interesting because when they discussed this on the phone they only mentioned A. Paperwork shows D and E along with A. I assume an outdoor house cham would not need a D boost.

I did request the blood work results but have not received them yet. The dewormer was Panacur/Flagyl. The vitamin shot was A/D & E, which is interesting because when they discussed this on the phone they only mentioned A. Paperwork shows D and E along with A. I assume an outdoor house cham would not need a D boost.
Sorry, also Baytril/Enrofloxacin for the antibiotic. I have some concerns on this part as well, because the paperwork shows an injection of the antibiotic. When I went to pick her up, the tech gave her a dose of oral as well, which was likely another miscue. I am assuming the plan was an injection that day, and then the following days were to be the oral doses rather than an injection + an oral dose a half hour later.

From personal experience----Fact Panacur will cause behavior issues. Crossing fingers that is it-- I hope she had parasites and not just a random giver her everything.. Panacur is a great product if used properly. I have used on frogs, turtles, seahorses, and wild caught chameleons with great results.. Still glad your on top of things.. (y)

Right this is what is concerning about them giving vitamin shots. Your EP-A covers plain calcium and some vitamins. Unless she is not basking in the sun she would be getting plenty of UVB even on cloudy days so she is getting what she needs for D3 conversion. The problem with doing a dewormer is that they did not run a fecal. So giving a dewormer without knowing if there is actually a parasite issue is causing undue stress on the cham. Plus say it is a parasite issue. Certain meds work for certain parasites.

I unfortunately didn't get to see Dr. Greek himself, but one of his office colleagues. They reviewed what was done by the previous vet, did a physical exam, gave her a subcutaneous fluids injection and then said to just wait it out. They indicated it was possible that the Panacur and other meds could have her feeling poorly, but (other than some possible unknown congenital issue) they didn't see anything obviously wrong with her physically. They suggested to bring her indoors at night so that she will be slightly warmer, verify/monitor her feeding, and if she has rebounded by next Friday, take her back to the original vet for the second Panacur dosage.

To note: They indicated that the dosage of Baytril was low enough for her weight that even if she was double dosed as I suspect, it wouldn't likely cause any real problems.

Given her state, I am content to try my best to just leave her alone as much as possible, outside of maintaining temps/humidity and giving feeders. There has been a significant amount of handling/transport/injections/etc happening which can't be very pleasant for her.

I unfortunately didn't get to see Dr. Greek himself, but one of his office colleagues. They reviewed what was done by the previous vet, did a physical exam, gave her a subcutaneous fluids injection and then said to just wait it out. They indicated it was possible that the Panacur and other meds could have her feeling poorly, but (other than some possible unknown congenital issue) they didn't see anything obviously wrong with her physically. They suggested to bring her indoors at night so that she will be slightly warmer, verify/monitor her feeding, and if she has rebounded by next Friday, take her back to the original vet for the second Panacur dosage.

To note: They indicated that the dosage of Baytril was low enough for her weight that even if she was double dosed as I suspect, it wouldn't likely cause any real problems.

Given her state, I am content to try my best to just leave her alone as much as possible, outside of maintaining temps/humidity and giving feeders. There has been a significant amount of handling/transport/injections/etc happening which can't be very pleasant for her.
Well that's good. I'm glad it was a good visit. & hopefully the meds just have her feeling off. Looking forward to updates & good luck to you both!

Well that's good. I'm glad it was a good visit. & hopefully the meds just have her feeling off. Looking forward to updates & good luck to you both!
Update: The chameleon continued with the eyes closed, no eating and very dark in color after the visit to the vet last Wednesday. It’s been pretty touch and go, but she finally ate (a single silkworm) today, and she has been alert with her green coloration returning. Not totally out of the woods yet, but things are looking significantly better today.

I am new to this, but yes, I agree that I am probably bringing her in a bit earlier than needed, but given her current state I'm being cautious. Up until yesterday, she had displayed a brighter green color during the day, typically darkening up when basking. When not basking, she's been mostly just a bright green, sometimes with some spots of black and yellow.
Welcome! I noticed that you have the top of the cage covered with a tarp. I would remove it as she may be stsying in the shade all day and not getting any uvb. You have enough plant life for natural shade. My vieled had RI and they hide it well until they cant get air. Keep up with the antibiotics and ask for liquid calcium when you go back to the vet. i inject it into hornworms and feed them to my boy. That way it takes care of the dehydration as well. also you are going to have to invest in lights for the garage time this winter. You know how cold it gets here when there is snow on the mountains. I dont know where in calif you are but i have a good vet in culver city. Its called Culver Palms with Dr Jazmine Flanagan. buy some hornworms from rainbowmealworms.com she may have a sore throat and they have no exoskelton. It was the only thing my boy would eat when he had a respitory infection. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom