YIKE ! why you DO NOT leave cages on the ground

little leaf

Avid Member
sooo , its been to cold to leave the chams out 24/7 - so I take them in at night ( ALL 8 !! :p ) and put them out in the morning- but today, it was still a bit chilly, and the sun was not on the outdoor cages yet- so I thought I would get a jump on the sun, and set one of the cages on the sunny sidewalk until the sun moved - guess that was not a good idea :eek:
this snake lives in my yard, I see him all the time-I have taken him to the woods all summer, but he comes back - I know its the same snake because its the only one w/ a red side - but he never went after a cham before - do you think he will start to stalk the chams- what if he gets in a cage and someone tries to eat him - I do not want to kill him- but I sure don't want him after my chams :(

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 296
Can you catch him and take him for a little drive a few miles away and turn him loose?

You must have something he really wants if he keeps coming back :D

Snakes tend to come back to a particular area if there is something that interests them...not necessarily your cams, he might just like the area. Psychobunny has the right idea as far as finding distance. We had this issue at work when I lived in Cali...the rattlers would just keep coming back...especially if the had young. Found so many baby rattlers lol

Snakes tend to come back to a particular area if there is something that interests them...not necessarily your cams, he might just like the area. Psychobunny has the right idea as far as finding distance. We had this issue at work when I lived in Cali...the rattlers would just keep coming back...especially if the had young. Found so many baby rattlers lol

RATTLERS !!! :eek: OMG- I would have left my job :eek:
this is just a gardner snake- I think he is after the moist ground - he is often UNDER the cage rack outside - I think he was after the dripper water- but some of my cages that have the bigger chams are open bar cages- do you think a cham would try to eat him ? the babies had no fear of him- but will freak at a misplaced light cord ! I really an not to sure about moving him- we seem to be one of the places who still have alot of snakes, toads, and skink in our yard - but if he may be a danger, then I guess I will have no choice - :(

Looks like a Garter snake (Thamnophis sp.)
They mostly predate earthworms, fish, tadpoles and frogs and it is almost certainly not interested in harming your chameleons. Probably more interested in warmth and shelter.
I would do as you have done up until now and simply accept - and enjoy - its presence.

Spike.

I would make sure of what species it is and as long as it isn't a very aggressive snake you should be able to let it stay if you so desire. Just keep an eye out :p

My chameleons attract other reptiles too. Well maybe the insects I feed them attract the other guys.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 184
I like him, he hangs out alot - with so much of the wild life disappearing , I hate to move him , but he has never shown interest in the chams- of course, I dont normally leave them on the ground either- lol - I guess it just freaked me out to see him so close to the cham - :eek:

My chameleons attract other reptiles too. Well maybe the insects I feed them attract the other guys.
those are pretty cool looking !! I love the little guy in the first pic - send him to me :p what is it? kinda looks like an anloe, but to course of skin -

You have reptile snake. You find good rock sunny spot for your reptiles. DO you really think someone else didnt come up with the same idea ;)

That snake has probably been sunning there for weeks:eek:

Thats just a gardener, non venomous. They will not eat something bigger than their head since they are non venomous and non constrictors. They couldnt kill a full grown toad or mouse if their life depended on it.

All mine that i find dead are full of earthworms and baby toads.

Also that little lizard is an Urosaurus, who knows what kind, their is like 30 of them and there all called brush/tree lizards...

"wut kind of chameleon is that?"

"thats a southern palm chameleon."

Last edited:
those are pretty cool looking !! I love the little guy in the first pic - send him to me :p what is it? kinda looks like an anloe, but to course of skin -

Western fence lizard. They get blue chins and belly's. I have a bunch of tiny babies in the yards right now.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 147
I have spotted snakes around my cages too. I think they are attracted to the water or bugs as mentioned. They have never got in my cages, but I don't leave them out all night either.

Oh, another thing that seems to be attracted to my cham cages are spiders. They seem to love the mist and the insects. During the winter

Thats just a gardener, non venomous. They will not eat something bigger than their head since they are non venomous and non constrictors. They couldnt kill a full grown toad or mouse if their life depended on it.

"

ummmm...I disagree with that - this toad was quite big - and he is dead now.. I dont know if the snake died later tho- we did see him for a while after he ate the toad - I thought if they ate a toad it would kill them ? or not ?? this snake has been out there all summer - but never on the sidewalk - I think he was after the water more than anything :)

Attachments

• 246799_211310335568592_8147858_n.jpg
    246799_211310335568592_8147858_n.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 250171_211307155568910_5652989_n.jpg
    250171_211307155568910_5652989_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 124
That is wild, in the second picture their eyes look just alike. Poor toad.

I did not send you one of my sweet girls to let her get eaten by a snake. Go tell bubbles you love her and are sorry for scaring her.

yeah, Em shot those pics last summer - she felt bad she came across them to late to do anything about it - but she has pics from just about the start to the end- it was sad, but fascinating -
the snake has not been seen the rest of today - and the cages are NOT on the sidewalk any more ;)

Snakes are opportunistic feeders. It make sense this snake would prey on your lizards if even the chance. Id relocate.

yea...snakes are creatures of habit, opportunity and hunger..they wont tackle anything too much bigger than what they can handle unless they're really hungry. If it has a good solid food source around you which it most likely does, probably wont mess with your chams especially if theyre pretty big compared to his head because theres probably easier to catch, easier to kill/eat food around plus like you said..theres steady water, its a pretty safe place for him to be, no predators that might eat him, good basking spots and garters are more of a ground snake not big on climbing too high if it was a rat, corn or gopher/bull snake id say relocate it far away...id still keep an eye on him though.

i had a reticulated python that ate my roommates cat after being together for 2 years. Snake never paid attention to the cat, it would walk on it, lay down with it when we had him out. I didnt like it but she thought it was soooo cute to see her cat laying on the snake like it was a window sill..poor guy..he got all scratched up from that cat

I like him, he hangs out alot - with so much of the wild life disappearing , I hate to move him , but he has never shown interest in the chams- of course, I dont normally leave them on the ground either- lol - I guess it just freaked me out to see him so close to the cham - :eek:

why not adopting him/her and or offer it for adoption.

I agree although I doubt that garter snake could take on a large chameleon. However, better safe than sorry. Also, any snake can eat prey many times the size of its head, as your photos show. As others have suggested, if you move the snake a few miles away where there is plenty of room to roam (and some wetland areas), it won't likely find its way back.

Snakes are opportunistic feeders. It make sense this snake would prey on your lizards if even the chance. Id relocate.

Would it be a bad idea to buy some mice for him to eat and just treat him
as another pet?
Since he seems determined to hang out anyway, just make him part of the
family :)

Back
Top Bottom