yemen laying eggs

johnandlyn

hi my yemen is ready to lay eggs,is it ok to put a large container with sand and peat moss in her encloser for her to lay her eggs?also how long should it be before she will starts digging?any help would be brill thanks john

Normally they will stop eating before they lay eggs. They will pace the bottom of the cage and seem restless. They will be fat and you can sometime see the eggs under the skin. Have you mated yor girl?

IMHO, its good to have a container in the cage once a female is sexually mature so that she can dig when she needs to lay eggs. This way people won't miss the sometimes subtle signs that the female needs to lay eggs.

Its hard to say how long it will be before she will dig. If she was mated it will be about 30 days from the mating depending on where she was in her cycle when she mated.

No i havent mated her but she has got orange/yellow marks on her skin and i posted a thread about these marks and i was told shes probley receptive she doesent seem off her food and hasent started digging in the bucket im really unsure if im doing enuf can anyone help me anymore

When Lily is gravid I can see and feel the eggs under the skin above her back legs usually about a week to 10 days before she lays. They are only obvious when she's relaxed/resting. She also stops eating for a week before then about four days before she'll take frequent trips to the bottom of her cage. Make sure that the sand is damp enough - you may need to spray it as it will dry out in the heat of the cage. Try not to worry - as I was told - 'She'll do it when she's ready!'

Back
Top Bottom