yellow urates

cslinca

I know yellow urates can mean dehydration but my boy has plenty of water to drink so Im not sure why his urates are yellow. He is free range in the evenings and at night but during the day he is in his outside cage with a dripper and misting. should I be worried and how can I hydrate him more or make sure he drinks.

heres some pics of him
IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

Try a eye dropper full of water & put a couple drops in his mouth at a time so you know he's actually drinking.

His eyes don't look sunken in so in that pic he is not dehydrated. Was the urate all yellow or did it have some white at the end. If you cham doesn't poop everyday the urate can come out yellow. Can you post a pic of the poop and have often does he poop?

yea he def doenst look dehydrated his eyes are big and healthy looking. He poops every other day or 3rd day. Ill get a pic next time I get a poop. Its sometimes has white on the end and sometimes is all yellow.
I tried offering him water from the purified water tap and from a water bottle but he doestn take it. I have seen him drinking off the leaves so Im sure hes getting water. Thanks for the responses Ill post a pic when I get one

He needs more cover, than just that plant in his cage. I'd put something over the top (ply-wood, cardboard, etc.) to add more shade for him. And if possible add a 2.5 to 5 gallon dripper (or auto-drip/mister) to the set-up. The dipper you have might only dip for 4 hours max, and as the sun heats up the tubing, it can create a vacuum, stopping the flow of water out.
So shade, and a reliable water source should turn the orange to white. Specially imporant, as the warmer months approach.

Just a question/observation. Could the sun outside just be quickly drying out the urates, and by the time you see them they are already yellow?

He needs more cover, than just that plant in his cage. I'd put something over the top (ply-wood, cardboard, etc.) to add more shade for him. And if possible add a 2.5 to 5 gallon dripper (or auto-drip/mister) to the set-up. The dipper you have might only dip for 4 hours max, and as the sun heats up the tubing, it can create a vacuum, stopping the flow of water out.
So shade, and a reliable water source should turn the orange to white. Specially imporant, as the warmer months approach.

Thats actually not his outdoor cage, he has one of those hanging ones and its half shade half sun and I have a bigger dripper and a mister. I was just cleaning cages that day that I took the pic :) That little one is just for when its too cold out he has an indoor cage as well as his free range

Back
Top Bottom