Yay!- my first thamnobates breeding

fluxlizard

Avid Member
The first of the thamnobates I got earlier this year started breeding a few days ago. I waited 20 years to get some, after reading Bert Langerwerf's write-up about them in the BHS. So these are special for me.

Sadly my pics of the event are kind of crap. The camera on my phone is all I had and it went blurry at close range poor lighting and the little lizards kept rotating away from the camera (privacy please!), although they continued breeding. :D

Some of you guys take gorgeous photos! Not the case here, but celebrate with me anyway!

IMG_20150302_124847_452-525x700.jpg

This pic doesn't show it, but I've seen the male do some amazing colors when introduced to the female- yellow head, blue body and legs and tail, and that colored spot on his side once went brilliant pastel orange/red. I was surprised at how much color these can do at times.

Great! Keep us posted! I definitely want more of these in the US (so that like you, I can get some in 20 years... well, hopefully not that long).

Pictures are good, but you did it!! That is what counts. Congrats, I will be waiting to see babies, when do we expect that to happen?? I am always in a hurry for babies
:D

Congratulations - good luck -

Thanks- this is the easy part huh? The test will be what happens with my group over the next few years I guess!

Yay! Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you notice a distinct color change in your female after copulation? Or were her colors the same?

That is a good question- I haven't been heating them up as much as they would like as per winter season so they mostly are black when I walk past them and peek in and near their heat lighting or the same color near their UV tubes. But they do color up sometimes when I guess they have enough heat and move away from the lighting. Today the female did look a little different after breeding, but she is still receptive so if there is some dramatic color change I guess it won't happen until she rejects him again. I am keeping them seperate and only putting them together for breeding visits.

They are very interesting- their behavior in some ways is a little less chameleon like. They have better necks than most chameleons seemingly- they seem to move their heads around more when looking around.

Pictures are good, but you did it!! That is what counts. Congrats, I will be waiting to see babies, when do we expect that to happen?? I am always in a hurry for babies

I'm not sure- First time and all- I have read different things. I guess maybe 4 months or so to babies?

Back
Top Bottom