Yay!- my first thamnobates breeding

fluxlizard

Avid Member
The first of the thamnobates I got earlier this year started breeding a few days ago. I waited 20 years to get some, after reading Bert Langerwerf's write-up about them in the BHS. So these are special for me.

Sadly my pics of the event are kind of crap. The camera on my phone is all I had and it went blurry at close range poor lighting and the little lizards kept rotating away from the camera (privacy please!), although they continued breeding. :D

Some of you guys take gorgeous photos! Not the case here, but celebrate with me anyway!

This pic doesn't show it, but I've seen the male do some amazing colors when introduced to the female- yellow head, blue body and legs and tail, and that colored spot on his side once went brilliant pastel orange/red. I was surprised at how much color these can do at times.

werecat

Established Member
Great! Keep us posted! I definitely want more of these in the US (so that like you, I can get some in 20 years... well, hopefully not that long).

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Congratulations!! That is great. Good to hear your breeding Bradypodions. I have got my fingers crossed for babies.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

laurie

Retired Moderator
Pictures are good, but you did it!! That is what counts. Congrats, I will be waiting to see babies, when do we expect that to happen?? I am always in a hurry for babies
:D

fluxlizard

Avid Member
Congratulations - good luck -
Thanks- this is the easy part huh? The test will be what happens with my group over the next few years I guess!

Yay! Congrats! Out of curiosity, did you notice a distinct color change in your female after copulation? Or were her colors the same?
That is a good question- I haven't been heating them up as much as they would like as per winter season so they mostly are black when I walk past them and peek in and near their heat lighting or the same color near their UV tubes. But they do color up sometimes when I guess they have enough heat and move away from the lighting. Today the female did look a little different after breeding, but she is still receptive so if there is some dramatic color change I guess it won't happen until she rejects him again. I am keeping them seperate and only putting them together for breeding visits.

They are very interesting- their behavior in some ways is a little less chameleon like. They have better necks than most chameleons seemingly- they seem to move their heads around more when looking around.

Pictures are good, but you did it!! That is what counts. Congrats, I will be waiting to see babies, when do we expect that to happen?? I am always in a hurry for babies
I'm not sure- First time and all- I have read different things. I guess maybe 4 months or so to babies?

Top Bottom