Wyze camera - inside or outside enclosure?

timber64

I'm considering installing a camera to monitor my chameleon. I've seen various posts recommending the Wyze brand. V2 seems economical enough while still providing a lot of great features. V3 seems to be a step up, but both require being plugged in. And there is now a Wyze Outdoor version that eliminates the cord and is water-resistant!! But you also need a base station, bringing the cost to around $50 - double that of the V2.

So I'm interested in what camera/models others have used for their enclosures, but especially whether you install it inside the enclosure or outside. Would love to see some installation pics.

I have 2 but not sure of model #s. I got them to monitor when my ladies are laying, but as neither one has done so, I haven’t used them. One of my ladies is getting pretty close though, so I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGR98VQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 hooked up in her enclosure and ready to go. It was a challenge as it’s not waterproof and as her enclosure has such dense plants, I needed to keep it low. I basically attached it to a board and stuffed it in the side of her enclosure. Used a plastic produce tray to cover it from the mister. It’s night time so I can’t get a pic...although it looks so bizarre, not sure I’d want to share. :oops:

Used a plastic produce tray to cover it from the mister. It’s night time so I can’t get a pic...although it looks so bizarre, not sure I’d want to share. :oops:
I totally get it. I feel like as we work on our cage setups there is a little Macgyver in all of us!! BTW the camera you reference is the panning option - probably overkill for my needs. I'm probably going to check out their latest cordless, water-resistant, outdoor version. But my one concern is that they introduced new heat-sensing technology to trigger when to record, in an effort to save battery life. But I wonder how that will work with trying to film a cold-blooded creature!!

For anyone using a camera inside their enclosure, how are you managing the power cable? My enclosure doesn't really have any space to squeeze a power cable through an opening, door, etc. I'm thinking of trying the new Wyze Outdoor cam, which is wireless, but also double the price.

For anyone using a camera inside their enclosure, how are you managing the power cable? My enclosure doesn't really have any space to squeeze a power cable through an opening, door, etc. I'm thinking of trying the new Wyze Outdoor cam, which is wireless, but also double the price.
In the enclosure I just replaced yesterday the door was broken so there was a small enough gap to run the flat cord thru. I might be right there with you trying the cordless & waterproof cam. Do you by chance have an Amazon link for it?

In the enclosure I just replaced yesterday the door was broken so there was a small enough gap to run the flat cord thru. I might be right there with you trying the cordless & waterproof cam. Do you by chance have an Amazon link for it?
I just ordered this one yesterday!! It will be here tomorrow!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FFJWQY1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(my local Home Depot has it in stock too, but $10 more, so I decided to wait 2 days and save some money!)

I just ordered this one yesterday!! It will be here tomorrow!!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FFJWQY1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(my local Home Depot has it in stock too, but $10 more, so I decided to wait 2 days and save some money!)
I know this is a few months old but how is the camera !! Looking for a way to monitor him in his new Dragonstrand cage so figured you might have some good feedback ! By now that camera should be well broken in 😉

Back
Top Bottom