Would a classroom be too stressful?

stanli

I've been considering getting a Large breed chameleon for my 5th grade science classroom. I feel that of all the poosible reptiles these guys would prove most interesting for display and discussion....not handling! but would the commings and goings of the students stress him out too much?

I would say yes it would be too stressful. I've thought of taking mine in, but students aren't always gentle. They might bump the cage, and I can't imagine that the cham would like being stared at all the time by many kids. jmo.

No. You would not be able to transport it back and forth on weekends, you would have no control over temps at night and on weekends, you can't be sure it would get adequate heating and water over the weekends, the constant movement of children would be stressful, and stress kills.

I guess I am of the other opinion. I would not try to keep it in the class room all time, but I do programs in a lot of the local schools. I take a beardie for the kids to touch and play with and a veiled or panther for them to look at only. I feel it is good for kids to learn about reptiles at an early age and have at least some exposure. Here in Montana lots of people, both kids and adults have NEVER seem a live chameleon! It seems that Arnold, my panther, tolerates it well, he never fires up or shows stress of any kind.jmo

I think it would greatly depend on the temperment of the cham. Also how well behaved the children are. I 100% agree with Laurie here it is good to get children educated and exposed to reptiles early.

If you could section off an area of your class room and possibly have some kind of blind set up to seperate that cham from class when and if it gets stressed that may help. A tall dressing screen and or Asian style folding screen may work well.

If you are not already a cham owner i would spend a good deal of time researching this project as it does require a bit of extra work compared to some other exotics.

Gpmo (him)

I would say a bearded dragon would be better for a class-room setting

Beardies are great in classrooms. I have given 3 beardies to one of the schools. They live in the senior biology class. Some of the kids come back to see those dragons even after to go to college. The teacher, who loves reptile, even has a colony of dubia's going that I gave her. Some of the other teachers are less than thrilled by the roaches.:(

I've been considering getting a Large breed chameleon for my 5th grade science classroom. I feel that of all the poosible reptiles these guys would prove most interesting for display and discussion....not handling! but would the commings and goings of the students stress him out too much?

I would think a chameleon would make a poor classroom choice. They dont like a lot of motion or comings and going around them. Many dont like to be stared at (they can get used to and be fine with their one owner, but 30 kids NOT!) and so they hide in stress. Not good for the cham and not very educational for the kids except as an example of what not to do. If you want a short-term discussion and learning opportunity, have the local reptile club visit. Most areas have one, with an out-reach/educational program. They have animals that are habituated to people and of the right temperment.

Back
Top Bottom