Worried owner

aMiseo

Hello,

I have been a little worried lately because a bump showed up on the base of the tail of my cham. At first I thought it was of course his bum, but today a bright red puff came out of it then went back in, I got really worried because I thought he was bleeding. Is everything OK? His urate looks white, no dehydration and solid feces. Is this a digestive thing or a reproductive part? He is still very active around the enclosure, regularly utilizes all the spaces and branches. Also, I have had some trouble trying to handle him lately, he does not want to come out of the cage, and even runs or hides when I try to feed him; any tips or suggestions to literature would be very helpful!

* 5-6 month old male Ambilobe Panther, I've had him for a month
* I have only tried to handle him 3 times, the last time to clean the cage and he did not like it all, even charged my hand (any handling tips would be great as well!)
* Have been daily feeding him 2-3 small/medium silk or hornworms a day as well as about 10 crickets gutloaded with cricket crack, mustard or collard greens, and orange slices
* Using repcal with no d3 daily, supplement every 2 weeks with betacarrotene or d3, and calciumm with d3 once a month
* He is on an automister and that seems to be working just fine, i regularly see him tipping leaves for drinking
* He is in an 18x18x36 screen enclosure, reptisun 5.0, 75 watt ceramic dome, temp ranges from 90-70 with several basking spots, humidity usually stays above 60 percent, ficus and pothos plants in enclosure
* cage is near a door, any other wall would have vent or window, but not a huge high traffic area, it's in my office. I work from home, so I get to hang out with him for most of the day.
* Located in Raleigh, NC

Also, when he basks, he seems to like to keep his mouth open a lot lately, even looks like he is yawning... is that normal?

Is the red bump at the bottom base of the tail? It probably is his penis. The bump at the base of the tails is normal and will continue to grow as he gets older. Post pictures though so we can get a look rather than relying on discription alone.

If he is gaping under his basking spot, reduce temperatures. Take it down 5 degrees and monitor. Being younger, he doesn't need to be so hot.

Thanks! That's what it has to be, he dropped sperm plugs shortly after that. I will check on temps and change some things around... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom