Worms?

jasimmons86

This may have been asked on this forum before.
I have a 2 month old male veiled, and so far all i been feeding him is crickets. he doesnt seem to eat very much, so im going to try some other feeders to try and spark a better appetite.
Whats the best worms for my guy? how long do they usually live for? do they easy?

Super Worms?
Meal Worms?
Wax Worms?
Butter Worms

Thank you

At two months old, I don't know if you can find supers small enough. The meal worms are ok but should be used in moderation. Crickets are better. Waxworms last long and you keep them in the fridge. They are very fatty, so use those sparingly also. At 2 months of age he should not be too finicky on eating crickets and should have a great appetitie. you should fill out this form so we can make sure your set up is not affecting his appetite.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Your Chameleon - 2 month old mael veiled chameleon, ive had him for about 16 days now.
Handling - twice, once to put him in his new home, and the other time was to let my little sister see him up close.
Feeding - I been trying to feed him 3/8" and 1/4" gutloaded crickets. about 12 at a time What amount? in the morning around 7 am before i leave for school. I gutload with apples, oranges, romaine lettuce, blueberries, almonds, and a few other things i cant remember off the top of my head.
Supplements - Repcal calcium with d3(will be once a month), without d3(everyday), and multi vit(will be twice a month).
Watering - I mist the cage down 3-4 times day when im here, if im gone my mom does it for me. I use a little dripper that drips all day.I have not seen the chameleon drink.
Fecal Description - black and white with little bit of yellow, and I have not got him test for any parasites
History - I got him form one of the site sponsors, other than that i know nothing more.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -12"x12"x30" glass cage. i am using reptiglo uvb 5.0 linear tube, and just a normal heat lamp. My schedule for lighting is on at 8am and off at 8pm, I have them on timer.
Temperature - basking temp is right at 82f, and the bottom of the cage sits around 68F,a nd the top of the cage is around76f. the lowest temp throughout the night is 63f. I measure my temps with a digital thermometer, that tracks temps and humidity levels.
Humidity - I keep the humidiy between 40% and 65%, i keep the humidity there by misting the cage.
Plants - I am using fake plants which i got from walmart, I sterilized them before i used.
Placement - The cage is in my room, it sits on my dresser, its in a low traffic area, but when I'm home I'm always in my room. at night i keep a fan on me.
Location - I live in Illinois, U.S

Well everything seems right on! The only thing I will say is maybe the size of your crickets. 1/4 inch is plenty big for a 2 month old. 3/8 is probably too large and maybe that is why he is not eating them. I would stick with the 1/4 inch for now. He should eat 12-15 a day of those easily. You might want to add a live plant or two. that might help maintain your humidity for you. Also, you could feed him some small silkworms. they are excellent feeders.

Last edited:
At two months old, I don't know if you can find supers small enough. The meal worms are ok but should be used in moderation. Crickets are better. Waxworms last long and you keep them in the fridge. They are very fatty, so use those sparingly also. At 2 months of age he should not be too finicky on eating crickets and should have a great appetitie. you should fill out this form so we can make sure your set up is not affecting his appetite.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
Do you have to keep wax worms in the fridge?

I dont believe so, but they will last far longer in the fridge. I dont keep mine in the fridge and they usually start to pupate or die after a while. They only eat honey, and whenever i actually put honey in with them they don't seem to do anything with it..

i agree with carol.... supers and other mealies are ok but sparingly.... wax worms would be easier to digest.... but also sparingly... you might want to try blur bottle flys.. i have a few thousand i just release a few in the cage a day..mixxed in with my crickets..

Back
Top Bottom