Worms - What Happens Now?

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
The vet found worm eggs in Lily's fecal exam. I am taking her for an injection of a wormer in the morning. Do different types of worms live in different parts of the stomach? There were only eggs found in the samples - no living or dead worms. He didn't give me any names or further info. What I would like to know is what happens next? Do I need to do anything differently at all? Thanks in advance for any input!

First you need to find out what kind of parasites she had. There's different meds for different types and the cleaning of the cage and so forth can be different depending on the type of parasite.

all depends on what type of worms. she got a parasite from something shes ate. if she only eats crickets then pin worms are probably the culprit. I cant buy crickets locally anymore because they order from the same place and they are all diseased, but i guess its cheaper to do bulk anyway and its warm enough i dont have to listen to their crap any more lol

Well the eggs are a pain and the worms would be worse, but at least it is something that can be corrected with meds to make Lily better. YEAH!!!!:):):)

pin worms as far as i know are the easiest to treat.mista was just treated and he is fine i am hoping this is all she has,also from when missy had eggs it meant the adult worms were present.i dont know what to say without sounding pessamistic however its spelled ,,,,still sending you hugz

Did he tell you what type of worm? I'm curious to see what could have happened to the poor girl!

The worms have been identified as 'Trichostrongyle'. Apparently these are present when the animal hatches and are passed on by the mother. When a chameleon is under stress (such as laying) it causes an imbalance which allows the worms to 'take over' and cause problems. I've been searching the 'net for more info, but haven't had much luck so far. She was treated with a drug called Panomec which lasts for about 3 weeks. This was injected under the skin on her side -another bruise, poor little girl!

Back
Top Bottom