With this budget, what setup would you get

celeste_knitter

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all!

1st post, but I've been reading/lurking for awhile. I'm starting to plan out my setup for a long awaited chameleon! I 1st saw one in person when I was about 8 & now many decades later I'm in a position to be able to take care of one. Besides a cat & dog, we have a tortoise & 2 crested geckos.

I'm budgeting around $3000 to get started... this includes a juvenile panther chameleon, cage, lights, misting system, plants, stand for cage to keep out of cat's line of sight, vines/limbs...Everything.

What setup would you get & why? Have favorite products...name them please. Help me make this an awesome setup from the start. Also need recommendations for cham breeders.

Things I have: solarmeter, temp gun, good nurseries around, local pet stores but they generally only have superworms & crickets

Thanks in advance!!!

Hello all!

1st post, but I've been reading/lurking for awhile. I'm starting to plan out my setup for a long awaited chameleon! I 1st saw one in person when I was about 8 & now many decades later I'm in a position to be able to take care of one. Besides a cat & dog, we have a tortoise & 2 crested geckos.

I'm budgeting around $3000 to get started... this includes a juvenile panther chameleon, cage, lights, misting system, plants, stand for cage to keep out of cat's line of sight, vines/limbs...Everything.

What setup would you get & why? Have favorite products...name them please. Help me make this an awesome setup from the start. Also need recommendations for cham breeders.

Things I have: solarmeter, temp gun, good nurseries around, local pet stores but they generally only have superworms & crickets

Thanks in advance!!!
If you don’t want to build your own enclosure, Dragon Strand is the way to go! They’re top of the line and the cages come with Dragon Strand Ledges. Fluker’s Reptivines are good and cheap. Arcadia for uvb lights. My panthers love red runners the most along with silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, superworms, bsfl, dubia roaches and crickets. Look into stick insects, butterflies, mantids, and snails, etc, too. Amazon brandless vines are good but everything else there is usually overpriced. Look at the site sponsors here as a starting point for everything. LOTS of good breeders on here

If you don’t want to build your own enclosure, Dragon Strand is the way to go! They’re top of the line and the cages come with Dragon Strand Ledges. Fluker’s Reptivines are good and cheap. Arcadia for uvb lights. My panthers love red runners the most along with silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, superworms, bsfl, dubia roaches and crickets. Look into stick insects, butterflies, mantids, and snails, etc, too. Amazon brandless vines are good but everything else there is usually overpriced. Look at the site sponsors here as a starting point for everything. LOTS of good breeders on here

Yeah, I've looked at the Dragon Stands...drooled for sure!!

With your budget, I'd say go creative! Maybe a nice bioactive enclosure would be nice. What locale do you plan to get and from where? I've had great experience with Chameleons101.

I will have to do some research on bioactive! So many choices!!! As far as locale...I love the amazing colors. Loving the ambanjas and ambilobes. I want to have everything ready first before the little one comes home!!

And with someone willing to spend the money! Congrats!
Awesome to have a (future) keeper here asking questions and gaining knowledge beforehand! Kudos to you!

Aww thanks! I'm a planner & researcher by nature. I'd rather spend "more" upfront & do it well than spent more later upgrading &/or vet visits. I've been dreaming of this since I was 8! This will be one loved cham, for sure.

Hello all!

Thanks in advance!!!
dragon strand caging is absolutely the best way to go no questions asked

i’m not sure about the weather in your state but dragon strand has screen and clear side cages i’m sure you can get good advice on what would be best

KY has all 4 seasons, many times in 1 day! In spring, summer & parts of fall humidity inside is over 50% naturally. In winter I struggle to get humidity high enough for my tortoise due to forced heating. I like the idea of the clear sides & drainage built in will be a must.

Great to see you planning before the Cham.

Honestly at that budget go with:

a custom cage or dragon strand. With a stand and built in drainage. @Brodybreaux25?
Mistking
Linear light fixture with Arcadia 6% bulb
Lots of real plants

For breeders:
@Matt Vanilla Gorilla
@Chameleon Mike
Kamerflage
For sale tab on this forum.
I think this is what josh is talking about, I’d gladly walk you through it or any other part of your build. Your Cham deserves the best!
BF25CDB6-BB54-4984-9557-9E7DFC277BE1.jpeg

I also do turn key custom vivs, epoxy tables/shelves/backgrounds, and vertical semi free range islands. Some sinker/pecky cypress floating shelves I’m finishing up for a customer right now, see below. Most builds are finished with liquid glass(100% waterproof) or any other finish you want. I included some in progress pics as well as a test fit to the wall so you can get an idea of how the floating shelves look when installed...

Attachments

• D8800D6E-9752-44AA-9F74-EDBB6EF7C0B6.jpeg
    D8800D6E-9752-44AA-9F74-EDBB6EF7C0B6.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 223
  • D5B0CAEC-8685-4DAB-98CD-0A13C374C0DF.jpeg
    D5B0CAEC-8685-4DAB-98CD-0A13C374C0DF.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 37E543FF-FAF9-4F36-9D44-6B9437F42A7F.jpeg
    37E543FF-FAF9-4F36-9D44-6B9437F42A7F.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 8B8FA92F-15C2-4E88-93EB-67D874A5564D.jpeg
    8B8FA92F-15C2-4E88-93EB-67D874A5564D.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 210
  • B7EDD325-A9ED-44A2-8097-0C08A4E155E0.jpeg
    B7EDD325-A9ED-44A2-8097-0C08A4E155E0.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 0CE61569-98C9-451E-BFD7-962586A70C5E.jpeg
    0CE61569-98C9-451E-BFD7-962586A70C5E.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 6C949F21-ADFD-48C9-99AF-7CC9DE90D183.jpeg
    6C949F21-ADFD-48C9-99AF-7CC9DE90D183.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 5CC0A519-3F48-4519-8B8E-8BE4CC2F6894.jpeg
    5CC0A519-3F48-4519-8B8E-8BE4CC2F6894.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 208
I also do turn key custom vivs, epoxy tables/shelves/backgrounds, and vertical semi free range islands. Some sinker/pecky cypress floating shelves I’m finishing up for a customer right now, see below. Most builds are finished with liquid glass(100% waterproof) or any other finish you want. I included some in progress pics as well as a test fit to the wall so you can get an idea of how the floating shelves look when installed...

With the budget you have, Get a DragonStrand and a @Brodybreaux25 table! Your cham will have a better looking house than me!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom