Winter and Summer Quarter for Montane Species

Bettina

Hello, my name is Bettina, I am from Austria in Europe, Vienna and I keep two montane cham species. Trioceros Ellioti from the area around lake Victoria and Bradypodion Thamnobates from the Drakenberge in South Africa. I was kindly asked to share fotos of my "cages". So here are some fotos. In summer I keep them on the terrace. I live on the top floor (4th) of a nice Viennese Building and have a big terrace.
Both species have to cope with temperatures nearly around freezing point in the African Mountains. So I keep them outside as long as possible, this year I took them inside in Mid November. In Summer they live on my lemon trees in the bathroom. To get down temperature at nigth I have nothing more to do then to open the window. The first one in the morning to take a shower has a hard time, but my family is as crazy as me, they accept it.
Cham-summer1.jpg
Cham-summer2.jpg
Cham-waiting-for-summer.jpg
Cham-winter1.jpg
Cham-winter2.jpg

14 young Elliotis are living hidden in these plants. They could leave but they don´t. The Bradypodions are in the guests room where I keep temperatures even lower. They have a lamp but hardly use it for sunbathing. In theory they also could leave the room but they stay where they are. I protected the walls with foil so the water I spray doesn´t destroy the wall.
Outside there is also a terrarium whith this pink stuff inside, that´s the isolation for my lizards - Lacerta Viridis, the Eastern Esmerald Lizard. They are sleeping now, there is a heating system to make sure it doesn´t freeze.
I wish I could let the animals live free in my plants also in Summer, but there are cats on the roofs around and too many birds.
Kind greetings from Austria,
Bettina

Hello, my name is Bettina, I am from Austria in Europe, Vienna and I keep two montane cham species. Trioceros Ellioti from the area around lake Victoria and Bradypodion Thamnobates from the Drakenberge in South Africa. I was kindly asked to share fotos of my "cages". So here are some fotos. In summer I keep them on the terrace. I live on the top floor (4th) of a nice Viennese Building and have a big terrace.
Both species have to cope with temperatures nearly around freezing point in the African Mountains. So I keep them outside as long as possible, this year I took them inside in Mid November. In Summer they live on my lemon trees in the bathroom. To get down temperature at nigth I have nothing more to do then to open the window. The first one in the morning to take a shower has a hard time, but my family is as crazy as me, they accept it.View attachment 315873View attachment 315874View attachment 315875View attachment 315876View attachment 315877
14 young Elliotis are living hidden in these plants. They could leave but they don´t. The Bradypodions are in the guests room where I keep temperatures even lower. They have a lamp but hardly use it for sunbathing. In theory they also could leave the room but they stay where they are. I protected the walls with foil so the water I spray doesn´t destroy the wall.
Outside there is also a terrarium whith this pink stuff inside, that´s the isolation for my lizards - Lacerta Viridis, the Eastern Esmerald Lizard. They are sleeping now, there is a heating system to make sure it doesn´t freeze.
I wish I could let the animals live free in my plants also in Summer, but there are cats on the roofs around and too many birds.
Kind greetings from Austria,
Bettina
Wunderbar, thank you for sharing. Also got 2 montane species and live in the Netherlands and curious about your setup, because our climate is a bit the same.
Looking good 👌🏻

You could probably keep your adult chameleons outside year round as long as the temperatures do not go below freezing and if you insulate and heat your outside enclosures. I have seen enclosures insulated with greenhouse covering plastic. Steve Simms used to posted some great examples of outside year round enclosures.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Beautiful! The ellioti are stunning! I wish you much continued success with them :)
We have a facebook group called "trioceros ellioti community" that you might be interested in as well!

Do you have any male ellioti or were the 14 born from retained sperm?
Both the male and the mother died earlier this year, they were nearly 3 years old. Their offsprings are now 4 months. I made a mistake last year by neglecting the supplementation I think. Or maybe it was too warm in the summer. They were not sick but according to literature could reach 4 years. Mine didn't.

Back
Top Bottom