Keeping Chameleons Outdoors in Los Angles, year round...

Well i dont live in LA, but about 2 hours south of you, my chameleons are outside right now, this days have been great, lots of sun, but come november they are coming into the house, night time lows over here have been in the high 50's and looking at the monthly weather calendar its going to get very cold at night come november

Sana

I live in Lakewood and I don't keep mine outside year round. Once it starts dropping below 65 I bring them in for the winter. They may be able to survive but they will barely be able to move since they are cold blooded, they don't hibernate so it's best to keep them warm so they can thrive all year long. Not worth the risk.

I'm not sure how anybody is forming an opinion on this without knowing what species. :confused:

Many montane species would be right at home there in the winter.

I live in Lakewood and I don't keep mine outside year round. Once it starts dropping below 65 I bring them in for the winter. They may be able to survive but they will barely be able to move since they are cold blooded, they don't hibernate so it's best to keep them warm so they can thrive all year long. Not worth the risk.

65? even 55 degrees is ok for night temps. Well at least for panthers. if temps drop below 50, i put a night heat lamp. but i jave mine in a doorless laundry room so maybe that helps him stay a bit warmer

I wrap my big outdoor cages in heavy plastic during the winter months. And make them into more of a greenhouse to keep night time temps up above freezing. Also living not too far from the beach helps to make temp extremes a little more moderate. Not too cold in winter, not too hot in the summer.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 194
65? even 55 degrees is ok for night temps. Well at least for panthers. if temps drop below 50, i put a night heat lamp. but i jave mine in a doorless laundry room so maybe that helps him stay a bit warmer

It's just my personal preference, I like to keep them active and eating.

Back
Top Bottom