Outdoor housing question

zoner

Hi everyone

I recently moved out to Inland Empire of Southern California, so it gets pretty hot and dry during the day. But it also has chance to get really cold at night especially during the winter. I am really keen on keeping my chameleon cage outside so that he has the benefit of getting the full sun and the breeze. What can I do so that he doesn't get too cold at night or during the winter?

BTW, since I moved out here, his color has been going CRAZY. Lots of bright yellow and orange and red showing!

whats cold? 60f is just fine even dipping in the 50s should be fine as long as its not consistently

I think it goes below 40 sometimes during the winter... should i build a little bird house for him to go into when it does get really cold?

also,,,, is it essential to set up both the misting system and the dripping system or is dripping system alone ok as long as i know that he is well hydrated?

I think it goes below 40 sometimes during the winter... should i build a little bird house for him to go into when it does get really cold?

also,,,, is it essential to set up both the misting system and the dripping system or is dripping system alone ok as long as i know that he is well hydrated?

thats almost freezing, kinda doubt gets that cold very often in cali. on an odd ocassion it does i'm sure you would be aware of it and could bring him inside. its not essential to have both but id have mister on its own than a dripper anyday. I wouldn't recommend dripper as the only way to provide water on a daily basis but use it to aid with offering water for days you cannot provide the adequate amount of water.

as for being house outside lots of access to shade and water is crucial for the hot sun so def recommend some sort of automated helps with humidity too

any automated misting system that anyone can recommend? mist king? is there a something I can hook it up to my garden hose?

I have a misty mate patio mister system hooked up for outdoors. It's not on a timer, but it's pretty awesome for outside.

take him inside. your gonna be in the 100 dgrees all week, bit too high of risk. to be outside. i wouldnt risk it. im in los angeles and the high right now is a erage around 86-90 at highest.

Yes, it gets into the 20's and 30's in the winter in the inland empire. I work outside there at different times of the year.

Well is suppose to be high 90s and low 100s rest of the weekend but I doubt that it's that high under all the plant foliage that he often hides under?

What species of chameleon are you keeping outdoors? I keep adult Veileds and Oustalet's outside in Vegas up to 105F with no problems- they have plenty of shade and a mister on a timer that runs from 2-4pm each day. In early spring and late fall they stay outside overnight as long as the overnight low is 45F or higher. Once overnight lows start falling below that they come inside for 3 or so months of winter-

What species of chameleon are you keeping outdoors? I keep adult Veileds and Oustalet's outside in Vegas up to 105F with no problems- they have plenty of shade and a mister on a timer that runs from 2-4pm each day. In early spring and late fall they stay outside overnight as long as the overnight low is 45F or higher. Once overnight lows start falling below that they come inside for 3 or so months of winter-

Veileds can adapt, panthers on the other hand arent. i know a keeper who has his veiled out all year long here in los angeles.

It doesn't get that cold in Cali lol if it goes below 55 give me a call.

You should be fine

thats almost freezing, kinda doubt gets that cold very often in cali.

There's a lot more to Cali than Hollywood and sunny beaches, it's what we refer to as Northern California. The part of Cali I grew up in easily got into the low 20's in the winter. 80 miles west of that in San Francisco, it's always cool, even in the summer, they get excessive heat warnings if the temp is going to get above 80 degrees.

It never rains in California

It never rains in California......Well that may be true this year but it does freeze some of the nights in winter in Southern California at any elevation. The beach zones might be the only areas that do not. I have lived all over this state. Snow above 2,500' is not uncommon.
I would invest in good thermometer for his cage and watch weather reports. Don't be fooled by the temperature you see when you get up in the morning.
Also beware of predators leaving him out side. Hawks, crows, cats to name a few.
You are risking the life of a loved one.
Greg

,,,, is it essential to set up both the misting system and the dripping system or is dripping system alone ok as long as i know that he is well hydrated?

Yes, misting system will keep the temp. down on hot days. I'm able to keep my big walk in enclosure down to 80 on days in the 90's and 100's, by using misters though out. While the dripper can be placed over leaves and branches to allow cham to drink directly in a smaller confined spot.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 187
any automated misting system that anyone can recommend? mist king? is there a something I can hook it up to my garden hose?

I use a patio mister at home depo etc ..and two timers set up to go off every three hours alternately...and they mist enough to form lots of dripping. I use two I case one fails so it is at least every three hours. There is one type timer about $25 that you can set up for three hours more expensive is six hours. So check setting ability before you buy. And they attach to hose. A house won't make him warm he cannot generate heat a bulb might give him more options but I would not chance it...I would bring him in

He will be fine with a 57* low.

Make sure he is not in direct sun is all i can say. I dont care how much foliage you have. Just make sure his cage is in the shade for the better part of the day.

Back
Top Bottom