Will this stress my chameleon out?

CloudsMystique

I'm planning on keeping my new chameleon in my bedroom. It's very quiet, and there's nobody in there all day... only at night when I go to sleep. There isn't even a TV or a radio. Complete silence.

The thing is... My dog sleeps with me every night. She's very quiet and she doesn't run around on the ground or anything... She walks in, hops up on my bed, and goes to sleep. In the morning, she hops down and leaves with me.

Will my chameleon be able to see her while she's on the bed? Will it stress him out all night? Or will he forget about her as soon as she lays down on the bed?

Your cham would probably be sleeping when you go to bed. If the cham happens to open his eyes while the light is in the bedroom, he may see the dog, but when the lights go out, the cham will go back to sleep.

I have 2 cats they never bothered the chams I had, and the chams never got stressed out or in any defensive moods. I dont think your Cham will get stressed out if your dogs just sleeping! :)

To avoid stress, you can cover the cage so that it's still night for your cham when you go in your bedroom and put the lights on. From my knowledge chameleons don't hear that good and I don't think that you and your dog would stress him if you aren't too loud

Chams do not hear..... They feel the vibrations we make through their feet. So.... rumbling may bother your cham. He might think its another chameleon vibrating the branch... But you shouldn't have to worry about your cham if the lights are on and then off again.

My biggest issue with chams in the bedroom.... you have to get up when they get up lol. Their lights come on, it's hard to go back to sleep. Kinda like when a kid tries to sleep in and his mom rips the blinds open and the morning sun comes crashing in.

Chams do not hear..... They feel the vibrations we make through their feet. So.... rumbling may bother your cham. He might think its another chameleon vibrating the branch... But you shouldn't have to worry about your cham if the lights are on and then off again.

My biggest issue with chams in the bedroom.... you have to get up when they get up lol. Their lights come on, it's hard to go back to sleep. Kinda like when a kid tries to sleep in and his mom rips the blinds open and the morning sun comes crashing in.

Beat me to it!

-Clemonde

Last edited:
I do not avoid having my dogs, around my chams. They are little toy poodles and they are on the floor well below the chams. I have observed as the chams what their movements with absolutely no color change. So although it may be against some people's view of what is absolute, I don't think having animals that are not vicious are any cause for alarm around chams. Your Cham will tell you with his or her color if there is stress due to another animal in the room.

Don't worry. Enjoy.

I don't think my chameleon even realises my dog is an animal. He sometimes climbs on her when he's having a run about on the floor.. so I have to be careful, even though she's a big softie, she could get up and crush him.

Interesting.... Okay. I had to ask because my bearded dragon doesn't like having the dogs in the room with him. If I feed him while they're in there, he won't eat - He just stares at them.

My chams never seem to mind the dog or cat, I think it's because the chams are so elevated they feel a sense of security in that. They're much more defensive when I approach, all 200+ 6'4" of me.

I don't think my chameleon even realises my dog is an animal. He sometimes climbs on her when he's having a run about on the floor.. so I have to be careful, even though she's a big softie, she could get up and crush him.

I am one of those members on this forum who freaks about mixing animals.... ie: dogs and cats around chams.

I love cats and dogs. and I have kept both before. But I am strong minded when it comes to 'trusting' them around a cham. no sweet fluffy cat is going to think of a chameleon as 'it's friend'. Sure... Maybe if the kitten was raised with the cham... maybe. But still.... The point I am getting at... Dogs and cats don't look at other animals like chameleons as 'friends' or 'i shouldn't hurt that' they get curious and playful. This might be cute, but deadly to your cham. There are PLENTY of stories on this forum where someone shares a story about how they thought it was ok and to then find a severely hurt or dead cham.... OR if lucky, a near miss.

I am not talking badly of people who mix or let animals 'play' together....... But I can say I do not agree with it.

So to the point.... I don't suggest you let your cham walk around on your dog or roam the house free while other animals are around. If you do, just PLEASE keep a close eye on things.

Back
Top Bottom