Will reptaid treat a uri in a 5 month old panther?

Keeneye

Our new 5 month old male panther is showing signs of a uri. We are wondering if anyone has had success using reptaid to treat a uri and if its safe to use on such a young chameleon.

I know but a vet is so crazy expensive I'm trying to do anything I can without going into debt a few hundred dollars for a chameleon we just spent 300.00 on.
:(

URI's can turn from bad to worse within a couple hours, what kind of signs are you seeing? You can use reptaid on him, the bottle has different amounts for how much he weighs, its not by age.

I do have experience using Rept-aid, my 6/mo panther had a "popping" noise coming from him when he walked.. which is one of the main symptoms of a coming URI. As instructed on the bottle I did 10days on 2 days off, and found I did not need to repeat it because his symptoms did go away. He began being more active and eating like crazy as well. This was lucky though... URI's come on fast, but within 3 days the popping noise was gone.

I'd use your personal judgement, I have taken another cham to the doc for meds for a URI but that was because I felt it was paramount he get help quickly. It was upwards of 160.00 for the vet visit as well, and I still haven't really recovered from that money lost.

Good luck, I hope your little guy is okay.

As far as I know, a uri is caused by bacteria which needs a antibiotic to cure. Reptaid is not an antibiotic but it may build your Cham up after treatment is complete. The longer you leave an infection without treatment the weaker your little one will become and antibiotics can be hard on his little body.:)

Okay, that sounds like it needs to be dealt with ASAP. Its just my opinion but I would make an appointment as soon as you can. What area are you in? maybe people passing by to read this thread will be able to give you some vets in your area, I'll take a peek too.

Thank you. Sorry for any confusion. I switched to my boyfriend's phone so I went from my log in to his...lol

Also getting your chameleon out in the sun is very beneficial. I see you live in Florida. When chameleons have respiratory infections vets will often tell you to increase the temps to help fight the infection. This is not a cure, however. Its been pretty warm here in south Florida, Not sure what your temps are up there.

Found a vet and today he got an injection of baytril.... I hate how much that stressed him.... He turned jet black and stayed that way for a long time but hopefully it helps and he pulls through this! Thank you for all the input and help!

Baytril is very good but try and give extra misting to promote drinking. Do you have to give him more injections?

The vet seems to think that one may knock out the infection since it was the beginning but if he doesn't seem better in 3 days the vet will give another injection....
And continue to give one every 3 days until its gone. But what's really worrying me is he turned jet black during the injection and is seeming to stay really dark and this is now 5 hours later.:( He did eat after and I will focus on his hydration and will keep his temps up.

The injection site will turn black for sure. He was probably stressed at being handled and not very pleased at being medicated. He would have felt it to a certain extent. I have given a course of Baytril and have been hissed at when the needle went in.:D

Back
Top Bottom