Wild Caught Jackson's Chameleons (Can they be trusted?)

PTCham

Hello,

I am preparing to purchase my first chameleon. I have an opportunity to buy from Amped Up Reptiles. He informed me that his Jackson's come from his friend who uses free roaming chameleons as a biological pest control in Louisiana. Whenever there are too many chameleons on his plantation, he ships them out.

I am not fully certain if this story is true.

Regardless, if these chameleons are wild caught (whether from Louisiana or Hawaii (I doubt they are African)), is the parasite risk greatly reduced for 'America' caught chameleons?

Also, his chameleons look very healthy and in very good shape, but as we know, you never know if a cham has a parasite without proper fecal testing.

I caught my chameleon wild about 4 years ago here in hawaii and have never had a problem. We have had a few actually. But really it all comes down to how you keep care of your cham. You can get unlucky I guess but I'd say it's worth the risk if it's a reputable seller

Hello,

I am preparing to purchase my first chameleon. I have an opportunity to buy from Amped Up Reptiles. He informed me that his Jackson's come from his friend who uses free roaming chameleons as a biological pest control in Louisiana. Whenever there are too many chameleons on his plantation, he ships them out.

I am not fully certain if this story is true.

Regardless, if these chameleons are wild caught (whether from Louisiana or Hawaii (I doubt they are African)), is the parasite risk greatly reduced for 'America' caught chameleons?

Also, his chameleons look very healthy and in very good shape, but as we know, you never know if a cham has a parasite without proper fecal testing.
First of all, why would he free range them? He could start a totally new population, and I'm not sure how people would think of that. Why do you doubt they are African? Parasites are almost always present in wild caughts, whether "American" or "African". Parasites are such a worry, as stress can make the parasite load get higher, killing the chameleon. They have them in the wild, but stress can weaken them. In the end, you should look for a CB bred by someone on the forums, there are plenty of them. I think wild caughts should only be for experienced keepers, looking to establish a new bloodline.

Thanks for the insight! He seems like a trustworthy guy, but more importantly the cham looks very healthy, so I think I'll take the offer. I will update you all on whether the fecals reveal any parasites.

Edit: Perhaps after I have some more experience I will see if I could set up the cham with a female to try and produce a new bloodline.

Thanks for the insight! He seems like a trustworthy guy, but more importantly the cham looks very healthy, so I think I'll take the offer. I will update you all on whether the fecals reveal any parasites.

Edit: Perhaps after I have some more experience I will see if I could set up the cham with a female to try and produce a new bloodline.
If you produce a new bloodline, I would recommend doing it with African blood, because those are the native bloodlines, as the Hawaii'an populations and apparently Louisiana bloodlines have their own adaptations. JMHO. Happy Holidays!!! :):D:p:D:)

First of all, why would he free range them? He could start a totally new population, and I'm not sure how people would think of that. Why do you doubt they are African? Parasites are almost always present in wild caughts, whether "American" or "African". Parasites are such a worry, as stress can make the parasite load get higher, killing the chameleon. They have them in the wild, but stress can weaken them. In the end, you should look for a CB bred by someone on the forums, there are plenty of them. I think wild caughts should only be for experienced keepers, looking to establish a new bloodline.
because african xanthos are rare in the usa. hawaiian ones a far more common

I assumed that native African Jackson's wouldn't be profitable for breeders when there are countless populations in Hawaii.

1. they are all of african heritage
2.it depends on what your goals are and what your experience is. i wouldnt neccessarily consider whether a cham is infected as the sole benchmark of its health, imo, it would likely be better to have a wild caught in good health but with some parasites than a poorly kept cb.. issues to consider are what is it infected with and what is the parasite loading ? if your primary goal is the most diverse bloodline possible then then wc would probably be the best choice, although it should be noted that any 2 chams sourced from different suppliers are likely to produce a new bloodline assuming those 2 suppliers didnt get them from the same source and assuming they live, breed and have healthy offspring, and thats a lot of assuming even for an experienced keeper. Not really sure of the importance of a new bloodline issue. i tried for 8 years to produce a strain of high blue xanths and never succeeded and had experience with vields for almost as long before that. Its also possible that any 2 chams sourced from a small local wc population have some common ancestry in the not too distant past.
3. realistically speaking, as a new keeper , i think your primary goal should be just learning their ways, keeping a pair alive and healthy before you worry about bloodlines and breeding such, and in that regard, i think cb from an established keeper is probably the safer choice, jmo, but wish you the best whichever road you take

2.it depends on what your goals are and what your experience is. i wouldnt neccessarily consider whether a cham is infected as the sole benchmark of its health, imo, it would likely be better to have a wild caught in good health but with some parasites than a poorly kept cb.. issues to consider are what is it infected with and what is the parasite loading ? if your primary goal is the most diverse bloodline possible then then wc would probably be the best choice, although it should be noted that any 2 chams sourced from different suppliers are likely to produce a new bloodline assuming those 2 suppliers didnt get them from the same source and assuming they live, breed and have healthy offspring, and thats a lot of assuming even for an experienced keeper. Not really sure of the importance of a new bloodline issue. i tried for 8 years to produce a strain of high blue xanths and never succeeded and had experience with vields for almost as long before that. Its also possible that any 2 chams sourced from a small local wc population have some common ancestry in the not too distant past.
3. realistically speaking, as a new keeper , i think your primary goal should be just learning their ways, keeping a pair alive and healthy before you worry about bloodlines and breeding such, and in that regard, i think cb from an established keeper is probably the safer choice, jmo, but wish you the best whichever road you take
Havent´seen you around in a while. welcome back man.

Still, Hawaiians have different adaptations than the Africans, that is all I am saying.

Back
Top Bottom