Wild caterpillars

Shaunny

Ok so here I the uk we are in caterpillar season and I have plenty of kale in the veggie beads which are loaded with eggs. Is it ok to capture and feed or is there risk or parasites? They grow super fast and probably to the size of supers or bigger. It's just the general white butterfly you see

There would unfortunately be a risk of parasites. Also you're not sure exactly what these caterpillars are eating outside I assume? If they were to eat the leaves of something like a tomato plant then they would be toxic to your chameleon. So generally it's best not to feed wild bugs, in my opinion.

Ok so here I the uk we are in caterpillar season and I have plenty of kale in the veggie beads which are loaded with eggs. Is it ok to capture and feed or is there risk or parasites? They grow super fast and probably to the size of supers or bigger. It's just the general white butterfly you see

It is a white cabbage moth (Pieris rapae)? those are safe for chameleons to eat.

Caterpillars are pretty host specific. Like Sandra mentioned cabbage moths and the larva are safe to feed.

Carl

Most caterpillars supposedly feed only on the leaves from the tree they are taken from. I said supposedly. I like to let them morph into the moth or butterfly before feeding. Just to be safe. ID is easier.

Back
Top Bottom