Wifi temperature/humidity sensors, anyone use?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Was looking into these specifically for my feeder room. A couple times now power has either gone out or a heater stopped working and I ended up losing a lot(gets cold). Also, I always get nervous about fire risk, even with a good unit that has safety features.

I'm trying to find something *reliable* that can show temps and maybe humidity throughout the day, along with the ability to send my phone an alert if temps drop or raise too high.

There's several on Amazon, ranging from around $30 to over $150+. Was hoping someone here had experience using one of these and could tell me if they last and which are worth the money.

Reliable + wifi said no one ever.

Go read reviews on wifi controlled power strips, they are horrible. They will randomly lose connection, and never bother to reconnect.

However there are industrial meters. We use omega.com brand here at the shop. You just pop them into an ethernet port, and run the sensor via a serial cable as long as you want. You have to rig up the software to do what you want, by default it has its own webpage to check the temp/humidity, but im sure you can set it for email alerts too.

https://www.omega.com/subsection/usb-rs232-rs485-ethernet-all.html

Might have to sell a loved on or find one used on ebay....

If you wanted to get a bit cheaper check out "Server Room Temperature Monitor". They will send out an alert when the AC dies or a server starts melting down.

Last edited:
Ive been using WiFi power outlets to control my lights for the past few months and I haven’t had any problems about them going out yet as long as you update them. I also have a WiFi camera that I can look at while away to check on my chameleons while out the house.

It might be overkill for what you are looking for, but its within that higher price range...

I have a Nest Thermostat at home (and their doorbell and cameras). I'm super happy with Nest. They sell a sensor for additional rooms so that you can adjust the thermostat to focus on certain rooms. I'm not sure if you can buy these separately w/o using the main thermostat unit. There are two differently priced thermostats, and my utility company gives a pretty hefty rebate if you use them (that almost pays for itself). Then you can add the room monitor for an additional $20 per room. I don't use the room monitor so I'm not sure if it reads the humidity, but the thermostat does. I have had no issues with its wifi reliability over the years... any wifi issues were Verizon issues and not related to the device itself.

I probably should have asked first - but are you trying to monitor individual bins / enclosures, or the room itself?

I probably should have asked first - but are you trying to monitor individual bins / enclosures, or the room itself?

Just the room itself. I'm only worried about extreme temperatures that could kill off a colony. A few hours of too hot or cold is enough to wipe out some roaches. I've found that out the hard way a couple of times now :mad:

Just the room itself. I'm only worried about extreme temperatures that could kill off a colony. A few hours of too hot or cold is enough to wipe out some roaches. I've found that out the hard way a couple of times now :mad:

Eep! Hopefully not Dubias as we just worked up the courage to try em!

Eep! Hopefully not Dubias as we just worked up the courage to try em!

Dubias are among the hardiest IME. The room reached 120 for a few hours a couple years ago and they survived. They also survived a drop to the 30s-40s for a day or so when a lot of others died. Tough little things!

It’s a little complex but I have an Allen Bradley PLC running with a DWYER humidity/temp sensor running and data collecting 24/7 and I LOVE IT. If your not into programming it might be a little tricky to get set up, but if you are it’s AMAZING!

I’m not sure how I feel about that lol. Relieved and terrified?

Roaches are weird, most of us start out terrified of them. I used tongs to grab them and was nervous to even look in the bin haha. They freaked me out. After some time I got an appreciation and lost my fear of them, seems like many others do too. I guess a good example of exposure therapy working lol

It’s a little complex but I have an Allen Bradley PLC running with a DWYER humidity/temp sensor running and data collecting 24/7 and I LOVE IT. If your not into programming it might be a little tricky to get set up, but if you are it’s AMAZING!

I tried programming on a few small occasions that I had to for school. I absolutely hated it lol. I wish I could get into it with how useful of a skill it is these days.

Back
Top Bottom