WHY would anyone abuse an animal this beautiful?

He surely found the right owner. He's gained some serious ground and his coloring is incredible. Great job !

its kinda cool how you can see a difference in demeanor..its like "he knows"

glad to see there are still people out there with a heart...

He has great colours, what a shame his previous owner was a selfish idiot..........
Good work on rescuing him - if ever a male Veiled Cham was going to be friendly, it ought to be him.

Look at that belly :p. I've finally cut back on his food intake now that he has some meat on them bones!

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20110826172249.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20110826172249.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 118
  • CameraZOOM-20110826171430.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20110826171430.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 147
He is such a gorgeous veiled, seriously, his colors are lovely. It is a shame that his previous owner couldn't see his value!

hey Jeffp, you have done a great job bringing him back to some similance of health!!! his coloring is awesome and he is getting quite meaty!!!

how old do you think he might be? and what is his temperment after his ordeal?

Last edited:
thanks for the love guys. I estimate about ~14-16 months. He just went through a partial shred before I got him apparently. I have never seen an adult male veiled this docile! He is a little shy when I open the cage door but once he climbs on you he just sits and looks around. Never hisses or bites. I thought he behaved liked this when I first got him because he was on the verge of death, but he is much more active now and he is still as well behaved.

thanks for the love guys. I estimate about ~14-16 months. He just went through a partial shred before I got him apparently. I have never seen an adult male veiled this docile! He is a little shy when I open the cage door but once he climbs on you he just sits and looks around. Never hisses or bites. I thought he behaved liked this when I first got him because he was on the verge of death, but he is much more active now and he is still as well behaved.

that's sooo heartwarming to hear, that he has retained his good tempermant, even after being as mistreated as he was!!!!!!! :)

did you weigh him when you got him? if so, how does that weight compare to his weight now?

It is sad. It is such a common problem and not many people seem to care too much. I'm glad you got him, and I am glad that the owner posted him for you to find.
Did the owner charge you for him?

Yes the owner charged me a "rehoming fee". I did not get a chance to weigh him right as I got him. I was so concerned he was going to pass away I did not want to stress him. Aside from force feeding him a bit at the beginning I tried to handle him very little. His recovery really is amazing. I designed a hanging (refused to cup feed from the bottom of the cage) yellow bucket to cup feed him to help him with his tongue shooting issues. It was yellow because I was worried if it was clear he would try to shoot at it and not realize there was plastic in between him and the cricket. I owe his quick recovery to that design because it allowed him to easily eat ALOT. Instead of wondering the cage trying to catch up to the cricket once he learned there was food in there he would rush to the branch, stick his head in, and get unlimited number of tries at nabbing food. It became a habit and every morning after a few days he would wait by the bucket. Once he was supplemented with some vitamin B and A his shot became much more accurate and reached farther than before. His previous owner used fake foliage and had just a single stick in his cage that he would pace back and forth. Im pretty sure he had never seen vegetation. I started throwing lettuce in the bucket and sure enough after a few days he was chowing on some greens. I let a cricket lose in the cage today and witnessed his tongue shoot out about 8-9 inches landing directly on the cricket first try. I was so proud :)

Back
Top Bottom