Why the female chameleon choose the bottom of the cage ?

The container I prepared for her

larage container, dry leaves,
but i think the branch seems too big.
And the soil need to be thicker.
Could you please give me some advice , thank you ~
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg

I think you need a little more soil. How deep is yours.? It needs to be at least twelve inches deep. Is it wet enough to hold a tunnel.? Try starting a practice hole for her, not deep, just good enough that you can check if the soils wet and maybe shell start digging.

Thank you ~ I am gonna to buy more soil tomorrow for her .
To make sure it is deep enough.
I haven't take her in to the container yet.
I hopee she is stonge enough for waiting a night.

Put her in there over the night just in case. How long has she been without uvb.? And there is some things with her husbandry that need to be changed as well.

She has never live without UVB since she gonna to lay eggs.
I keep UVB on like usual.
Forgive my poor English, you mean I shoud put her in to container rightnow, or wait until the next morning?
And when I put her in the container, should I keep the UVB on like before ?

No just put her in there tonight and keep her in there. All eyes off at night of course but in the morning turn them back on for her.

So what should I do while i add soil in to the container tomorrow ?
I'm afraid it would be make her feel fright.

How long could she keep the eggs in her body?

If she can't get into the container tonight.
Is that hurts her health ?
I'm afraid I have to put her in it tomorrow, I don't want to frighten her twice.
Waiting for your rely.
Thank you so much.

Umm...I guess not. Put her there right away in the morning. the longer she has eggs, the bigger chance of her becoming egg bound. Any vet by you you can bring her too.?

Are you giving her calcium only 1x per week?
Her back leg looks wrong in photo. But I cannot tell if it is just the angle I see it at in the photo? Can you get another pic from a different angle? maybe from above?

Oh no, I find one of the backleg is changed.
Yes, I give her calcium only 1x per week.
What should I do now ?

Does she still eat for you?

She needs more calcium. Her bones are probably weak. This is probably her problem rather than eggs at this point. Because she does not dig but sits on the bottom of her cage and because her leg looks wrong and because she only gets calcium 1x per week.

How old is your UVB light?

Can you get calcium without vit d3 in addition to with d3?

If she will eat, and if I was in your situation without a veterinarian I could take her to, I would dust calcium with d3 every feeding for a month and I would make certain her UVB light is less than 6 months old. After a month I would switch to calcium without d3 every feeding except 1x per week or two I would use d3. And when the spring weather is warm enough (over 15 c and sunny) I would bring her outside for some sun for 30-60 minutes as often as the weather permitted. Until she was behaving normally again.

If she is no longer eating anything, she might require more help. If that is the case she will need to be syringe fed something with calcium/d3 such as 1 part plain yogurt with live acidophilus, 1 part human baby food, 1 part water, and a little bit of calcium with d3 added.

The best possible choice at this point would be to locate a professional veterinarian if at all possible. But if this is impossible do people keep pet birds where you live? If so, maybe they bring them to someone when the bird is sick... Maybe a zoo or public aquarium would have a vet on staff who would be willing to help you out?

I 'm afraid that she refuses to eat any more.
I will try syringe , by the way, Did you mean any kinds of baby food is allowed to fix ?
I feel very sad....
She hided for some days, it's my fault .
I didn't not pay much attionation with her .
My first chameleon got too much calcium and at last she cannot lay out the eggs.
So I reduced the amount of calcium for them. Just feed one a time a week.
So during my daily feeding , I need to add more calcium for them ?

I'm sorry, I am gonna sleep, I'm too tired.
Thanks for all your advices.
They help me a lot.
You could leave a massage to me.
I'm really looking forward your replies.
See you~

My first chameleon got too much calcium and at last she cannot lay out the eggs.

Anybody else ever hear of this one? I've never heard of this happening, and would think it would be very difficult to accomplish. Most of the 1990s I used rep-cal with d3 every feeding indoors and never had a problem from either too much calcium or too much d3. I produced thousands of veileds during those years- my experience was not limited to a handful of pets. Today I do not recommend this as maintenance for safety reasons and with good lights it is unnecessary anyway, but it would surprise me very much to hear someone caused egg binding from too much calcium from simply dusting daily... Of course rep-cal with d3 falls off of the crickets pretty quickly, so maybe other brands of calcium would remain longer so more calcium would be taken in...

I will try syringe , by the way, Did you mean any kinds of baby food is allowed to fix ?

What I had in mind are the pureed sort of gerber type baby foods- chicken or turkey would be best. I don't know what sorts of baby food are available where you live though, so maybe a quick word about the reasons for each ingredient would help and then you could locate ingredients that would accomplish the same.

The principle behind the baby food is that it is relatively easy to digest. The yogurt has calcium and beneficial live bacteria to help in the gut. And the calcium with d3 is what your lizard needs. Every few feedings a multivitamin for lizards is best substituted for the calcium with d3.

I have used this simple recipe to help many lizards that have arrived to me in bad shape over the years and although it is simple, it always worked really well for me.

Here in America there are now commercial products on the market specifically for lizards that are better. I don't know if something like this is available where you live or if you could mail order it in at a reasonable rate.

If not, the simple recipe is a good way to go, or someone else here on the forums might offer something a little better.

For an adult female veiled chameleon I would probably give 1-3 cc from a syringe 1x per day. If she is large enough I'd use a 3 cc syringe. If you aren't sure how much start with a little and then increase over time. Chameleons have a surprisingly wide throat inside. Tickle her nose to get her to open her mouth and then gently slide the syringe into her mouth and down her throat. Be gently do not force anything or push hard. If you have the correct size syringe and hold her properly and find the correct way to slide the syringe in it will go surprisingly far into her easily. Hold her gently, but support the sides of her head so she cannot wriggle side to side much and hurt herself. Tilt her so her head is higher than her tail. Supporting most of her weight on her shoulders, rather than her rear legs, will help this as her body weight will straighten her out for you. Do everything very gently and carefully but firmly, not timidly because that might give her a chance to move in a way that would hurt herself. The hole that takes air into the lungs for her is located at the rear of her tongue. You want to move the syringe well past that so that when you push the mixture into her she cannot choke and drown. If the syringe is not too large, it is not difficult to slide it really far in well down her throat.

If you find you cannot get the syringe in far enough or are afraid to go too far, you can feed higher up in her mouth , a little at a time so she is not overwhelmed and does not choke. But this will be more stressful and take longer as you will only be able to give her a little bit, then wait for her to swallow, then a little more. My method allows you to get all of it into her in a few seconds with a little practice, and then it is over for her.

I would give her the syringe about the same time she normally goes to sleep at night. I find this very helpful as it allows the lizard to sleep away the stress from being handled and force fed, and then live without stress and fear all the next day. If you do this earlier in the day, she will remain stressed the rest of the day.

Others here might have different advice, and that is fine. There is a lot of experience here on the forums. This is how I would deal with the situation.

It is difficult to give really good help on the internet. I could understand more in 10 seconds looking at your lizard and help you more in 5 minutes real time than all of the posts on this thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
whether my understanding is right ?

Thank you.
You are so kind.
I readed your massage, it makes me clearer.
I drawed a picture, please check it.
I hope my understanding is right.
I just want to ask How deep should I put the syringe in her mouth.
IMG_1446.jpg
My first female chameleon laid the eggs, the eggs look liked fossil.
So one of my friend told me that I gived her too much calcium.
That is why I reduced the amount ....

pretty much correct.
You want the syringe well past the airhole. It can go much farther than the location in your picture.
When I do it, they basically swallow the first part of the syringe.
Be very gentle- feel your way and let it slide in.
If you are uncomfortable at all about it, you can purchase air line tubing for aquarium air pump very cheaply and put a length on the syringe.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom