Why Is Rosie Still Dark In Cage After A Month???

JaxyGirl

Avid Member
Hi everyone! I've Had Rosie for over a month now and she is always a dark gray in her cage..except when she's sleeping. However when I put her out to free range she turns a beautiful green and red. She's to little to have her free range 24/7. I'm stumped why she hates her cage so much. Hopefully someone has some ideas???

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female Jackson's In my care for 1 Month I think she's 4 months old
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 2-3 Times a week
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut Loaded 1/4" Crickets 5-10 a day or as much as she'll eat. Cricket gut loaded with Kale, mustard greens, apples, oranges, sweet potato, carrots and other vegies with Fluker's Hi Calcium Cricket dry feed.
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium w/o D3 every other day, Cal with D3 once a month, Multivit once a month.
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle 3 times a day. One really good misting for 5-10 mins and she drinks very well
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nice and dark with white urates Never been tested
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Purchased her at the NE rep show

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen Reptibreeze 20x16x16 will move her to 24/7 free range when big enough
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 UVB..40wat household bulb
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking Spot is 80 degrees. 70 degrees lower range. Overnight temp 65-70 degrees measured with combined thermometer and hygrometer
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 70% combined thermometer and hygrometer
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live pothos and branches
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Corner of bedroom in quite area

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
She hates her cage, is dark gray all the time unless she's out of her cage and I don't know what to do??? I've attached a picture of how she looked in her free range today all happy and bright green. And a pic of her cage.

Attachments

• ROSIE 1.jpg
    ROSIE 1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 139
  • ROSIE CAGE.jpg
    ROSIE CAGE.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 117
My chameleon hates his cage too. He is usually very dark and depressed looking when he is in it. As soon as I open the door, his colors change instantly! I think it is a mood thing and has nothing to do with your husbandry. Just my opinion, but it seems as though my case is similar to yours. I have an outdoor cage for him which he seems to like much more than his indoor cage, but it is very large and he gets to sit in the sun so his colors are more cheerful even though he is in a cage.

My chameleon hates his cage too. He is usually very dark and depressed looking when he is in it. As soon as I open the door, his colors change instantly! I think it is a mood thing and has nothing to do with your husbandry. Just my opinion, but it seems as though my case is similar to yours. I have an outdoor cage for him which he seems to like much more than his indoor cage, but it is very large and he gets to sit in the sun so his colors are more cheerful even though he is in a cage.

I know..I just keep checking my husbandry and everything seems fine. but she just sits in her cage doesn't move around much and is almost black. Once I take her out and put her in a free range she seems so much happier. I'm just worried that dark color is a stress color and she's going to get sick. Although she's eating and drinking really well.

You're soooooo lucky you live in FL and have that great cham weather. I wish I could leave mine out during the day. Unfortunately we only have 3-4 months up here in Maine where it's warm enough.

I know, since the weather started to cool down somewhat, he is spending alot of time in the outdoor cage and I love to see him get the natural sunlight.

Just noticed you are from Maine..Stephen King territory! I love his books!!!

I love Stephen King!! He has a house in Bangore, ME it looks like something from the Amityville Horror (sp?) and it is surrounded with a pointy rod iron fence with bats sticking up from them. Very cool!

Sounds just like him!!! He is an awesome writer!!!

I actually just finished reading one of his last night called Gerald's Game..Have your read it??? It's pretty chilling!! The way he describes things it's like your actually there. You can see it, smell it, taste it, feel it. He's amazing!

Haven't read any of his books in awhile but read many in the past. The Shining is one of my favorite Movies of all times!

Chams are never too little to not free range full time :D I've had my 3 month olds out on free ranges permanently. If you're worried about her getting off her FR, you can always set the plants up in one of those large plastic storage containers. That way even if she gets to the bottom of the trees, she can't climb up the plastic sides and can't get lost in your house.

Just a suggestion! It's obvious that she would be happier cage-less :D

Chams are never too little to not free range full time :D I've had my 3 month olds out on free ranges permanently. If you're worried about her getting off her FR, you can always set the plants up in one of those large plastic storage containers. That way even if she gets to the bottom of the trees, she can't climb up the plastic sides and can't get lost in your house.

Just a suggestion! It's obvious that she would be happier cage-less :D

Ya I definitely agree with you. That I have to set up something for her soon. Maybe this weekend. She is miserable in her cage and I feel so bad. That's a good idea using the storage containers. She's only around 4mos old and I have to set her up in my bedroom because my male owns the downstairs.
A really funny thing happened is two weeks ago I put her on one of the trees in my living room that my male likes to hang out on...but he was on the floor way across the room. I went out of the room for like 2 mins but when I came in my male had somehow run up the tree and had a hold of the female and she was hanging by her two feet with his arm wrapped around her belly. She was clearly not happy. It was pretty funny and I was really shocked! I don't know if he was interested in her at only 4mos old or just curious?? She's too young to breed isn't she?

Yes she's too young, but he probably doesn't care! lol "giiiirl!" It's amazing the legths males will go to to reach their ladies :D

Back
Top Bottom