Why is my female digging?

Kansasalicia

Her temps are good, she has been eating. Is she going to lay eggs? If so what do I need to get for her to do so?

Attachments

• 15782429976907739113810396435378.jpg
    15782429976907739113810396435378.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 180
Her temps are good, she has been eating. Is she going to lay eggs? If so what do I need to get for her to do so?
You need a lay box. You can buy them online or from some pet shops.
This is where your chameleon will lay her eggs. The size of your lay box should be nothing smaller than 12x12x12. A good size lay box is approximately 14x14x14 or 16x16x16. Chameleons will usually dig all the way to the bottom of the lay box to drop their eggs, so if you pick one that is too deep, you will cause your chameleon to exert more energy than she has too.
There are multiple ways of creating the lay substrate, but what most people like to use is play sand and water. It’s cheap and does the job. There’s no real mix ratio that can be said. Just mix the water and sand until it is nice and moist. It should be moist enough for your fingers to dig a hole to the bottom, without the sand collapsing on you.
I hope this was useful.
If u do end up with babies, please send some pics.
Good luck ❤️

Once you get a proper laying bin in there you will want to give her complete privacy while digging / laying eggs. If she sees you to many times she can abandon her hole and become egg bound.

We got a flower pot about 7.5" deep with half play sand and half coconut soil in it. She did dig in it but starting digging in the corner again.

Attachments

• 15782808416862183094567512026731.jpg
    15782808416862183094567512026731.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 83
Look at this....

You need to get it set upright ASAP so,she won't become eggbound and not be able to lay the eggs. Don't let her see you watching her while she's digging.

She may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy with it. It may take several days. She should then turn around, butt down likely in the evening and lay the eggs ...it may be quick or it might take all night. She should then fill the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry, thirsty and thin.
If it doesn't go this way please post on here again right away.

She is digging in the pot, hopefully she will lay soon
The pot is too small for her....If she does not lay her eggs she will become eggbound and die. Her enclosure is way too small for her. She needs a minimum of 18x18x36tall Also why is there a red light? And who is in the enclosure next to her?

The red light is next to her, it's a ball phython. I plan to get a bigger enclosure, I was told the one she is in will be good for now. She isnt a full adult yet.

The red light is next to her, it's a ball phython. I plan to get a bigger enclosure, I was told the one she is in will be good for now. She isnt a full adult yet.
It is not big enough for her. If she is laying then she needs a bigger enclosure. Do you leave the red light on at night for the ball python? There should be a divider between the cages so she can not see the snake. Or it will be viewed as a predator and cause her stress.

It is not big enough for her. If she is laying then she needs a bigger enclosure. Do you leave the red light on at night for the ball python? There should be a divider between the cages so she can not see the snake. Or it will be viewed as a predator and cause her stress.

We keep them in our bedroom, cause her and the snake are in quarantine. The snake will be moved to another room when quarantine is over. She hasnt been stressed out til the digging thing and let's me take her out and hold her. I havent held her since she started digging.

We keep them in our bedroom, cause her and the snake are in quarantine. The snake will be moved to another room when quarantine is over. She hasnt been stressed out til the digging thing and let's me take her out and hold her. I havent held her since she started digging.

Keeping two potentially sick animals in the same area is not a smart way to do quarantine... They should be isolated from each other as well as your other animals. They need a visual barrier. And the cham should not be able to see any light from the snake at night.

The size of that enclosure is honestly a huge problem, even at this very moment. It's no where near big enough for her to live in, let alone lay eggs in - and time is majorly of the essence

Ok this still is not the best idea... The snake is still a predator and will cause stress. Why are you quarantining right next to each other?

And as far as the red light is this on at night? Red lights are bad for chams. plus if you are running it at night it will disrupt sleep patterns for her.

Back
Top Bottom