Why is my female digging?

I am moving my chameleon to a bigger mesh cage tonight. She is eating and pooping isnt digging. Might have been too hot so I turned off heat bulb for awhile today with just uvb on.

Attachments

• received_874034659720619.jpeg
    received_874034659720619.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 76
Just to report my chameleon is fine, still moving to a bigger mesh cage tonight and she laid 4 eggs

if she only laid 4 eggs she has a lot more still in her. I would wait to move her the stress of moving won’t be good on her. Cover her terrarium and leave her alone for a while. She needs privacy to get the rest of the eggs out. If she doesn’t she will become egg bound and die.

did she bury the eggs? Or just lay them anywhere? Is she moving around?

to be honest your “bigger cage” still isn’t big enough for her. And has the wrong lights.

if she only laid 4 eggs she has a lot more still in her. I would wait to move her the stress of moving won’t be good on her. Cover her terrarium and leave her alone for a while. She needs privacy to get the rest of the eggs out. If she doesn’t she will become egg bound and die.

did she bury the eggs? Or just lay them anywhere? Is she moving around?

to be honest your “bigger cage” still isn’t big enough for her. And has the wrong lights.

She buried them, is moving around just ate 3 crickets.

She buried them, is moving around just ate 3 crickets.

that’s good. But she still needs complete privacy to get the rest of the eggs out. If she doesn’t lay them in the next couple days or if she starts getting lethargic, sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day. She will need a vet right away.

Did she do what I said she should do....
She may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy with it. It may take several days. She should then turn around, butt down likely in the evening and lay the eggs ...it may be quick or it might take all night. She should then fill the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry, thirsty and thin?

Or did she drop the eggs from a branch and then bury them?

BTW I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH....do not let her see you watching her while she's digging or laying and do not disturb her even when she isn't during this time.

that’s good. But she still needs complete privacy to get the rest of the eggs out. If she doesn’t lay them in the next couple days or if she starts getting lethargic, sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day. She will need a vet right away.

Thanks I will keep an eye on her
Did she do what I said she should do....
She may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy with it. It may take several days. She should then turn around, butt down likely in the evening and lay the eggs ...it may be quick or it might take all night. She should then fill the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry, thirsty and thin?

Or did she drop the eggs from a branch and then bury them?

BTW I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH....do not let her see you watching her while she's digging or laying and do not disturb her even when she isn't during this time.
She buried them and patted down. Is a lot skinnier than she was. Was thirsty and skinny

I know she buried them....did she dig a hole and lay them in a hole or did she drop them from a branch or lay them on top of the substrate and then just cover them over? 4 eggs is not normal...there should have been more...they should have all been laid at the same time, one after another. We're trying to make sure you aren't going to end up with and eggbound chameleon that may die.

Please post a photo of her.

I know she buried them....did she dig a hole and lay them in a hole or did she drop them from a branch or lay them on top of the substrate and then just cover them over? 4 eggs is not normal...there should have been more...they should have all been laid at the same time, one after another. We're trying to make sure you aren't going to end up with and eggbound chameleon that may die.

She dug a hole and buried them

Attachments

• 20200107_183634.jpg
    20200107_183634.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom